1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L/R/C - What comes out of which?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Kootuu, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi there,

Currently got 5 Kef KHT2005 Mk1 speakers and am considering a Kef Q6C as a replacement for the "center" speaker of the kef eggs. However I have been reading up and some people seem to suggest replacing ALL of the front three speakers.

My question however is what part of a movie comes out of the front three speakers? I thought dialogue was restricted to the center alone? What are the left and right used for?

I only really want to upgrade the center if possible. Would the Q6C go well with the Kef eggs? I'm looking for a more natural, cleaner, deeper dialogue, hopefully the Q6C will do this better than the eggs, or am I going in the wrong direction?

Cheers,
    Chris

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    For DD and DTS, it depends on the sound mix done at the studio. Normally, dialogue is centre. Any sound effects may be placed wherever they are most relevant to the picture. Music will usually spread over all three.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Also people standing towards the left or right of the screen might have dialogue from the respective speaker.

4. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yea that makes sense, in my experience dialogue has mostly been centered but I guess if someone is in an odd position to the camera it will filter to the others.

Would it be worth upgrading all three fronts or just the center?

Anyone heard the Kef Q6C in action?

5. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Another question I had, are the Q range going to come out in silver? I remember hearing they are but not too sure on this?

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    I'd say that, mainly because music is likely to spread across all three fronts, they should be fairly well tonally matched. That doesn't necessarily mean upgrading them all, but leaving the L & R will limit choices.

7. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Surely I could upgrade the center, then pair a L & R with the center at a later stage, I don't need to buy all three at once do I?

Saying that, what pair would go with the Q6c? The Q1's look a little funny and bookshelf like.

8. NinjaBrewCommando

NinjaBrewCommando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Chris,

I think you're going in the right direction. I bought my eggs with a specific upgrade path in mind to suit my circumstances (and room space). I got 5 eggs, a Q9C and an MJ Acoustics Reference 100 sub. The eggs and Q9C are not a great tonal match, but they are not too bad and have served me well for now. On certain films where, for example, a car drives across the scene in and out of shot, you can here a difference in the engine note.

My next step is to upgrade the two fronts to Q5s (or Q7s, depending on which receiver I upgrade to etc...) and leave the sides and rear as eggs (due to space). The front eggs will go in the kitchen.

If you're getting a Q6C, then the Q4s (floorstanders) are probably a good match, but I haven't heard them so can't comment.

The plan for me when I move house (again) is also to upgrade the receiver, the DVD player and the rear three speakers (poss 2xQ2ds/Q1). The GF agreed to a Pioneer 50 inch plasma too:clap: ! I'll then upgrade the sub to an SVS or similar and then use the MJ Ref 100 to underpin the Q9C to give the centre channel some depth. Might be a job calibrating it all, but should be fun.

Neil.