• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

L.O.T.R Steels

Mullit

Banned
Alright all just a quick one please.
I am some what overwhelmed with all the LOTR Steels that are or have been around
Would some one be kind enough to point me in the right direction to the best or worthy LOTR steels please...Ok I realize there a few different versions 3D Extended directors cut bla bla bla I would like to buy this collection at some point, I know I have left it late but trying to catch up. I am not after anything mega fancy Kimchi or other variants 3D just the set and not bothered about A MONTHS worth of extras just a nice steel set that you fellow members would buy if you were going to buy for the first time with out all the bells and whistles, it may be that spending a couple of quid more would get me a different set, in which case I would consider...I dont want the fat steels either, as I understand there are re-releases coming soon [I may be wrong] so would it be worth hanging on.
Lastly are the latest Hobbit 3d steels the ones to go for, again just the standard 3D steels..I have to get the Hobbit as well..thanks for your guidance and help in advance, sorry for my ignorance and lack of knowledge but thats the downside to getting old.:confused::(

OH and if this has been asked sorry I did look.

snooloui

Distinguished Member
There are no good editions of these films. You can get the ones from Best Buy USA but they are the theatrical editions and have no inside artwork. An alternative is the Korean versions which are the extended cuts but have printed back covers. It seems like Warner will be releasing the extended ones in UK, but The Fellowship of the Ring was a jumbo, so I would save your money if I was you.

Punky Partridge

I own the US Lord Of The Rings - Theatrical Cut SteelBooks, which have nice art work and a DVD of extras.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_22?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=lord of the rings steelbook blu ray&sprefix=lord of the rings stee,aps,391

I'm also collecting The Hobbit - Theatrical Cut SteelBooks and will then buy the extended cuts when they are released in a box set, which is what I did with The Lord Of The Rings extended cuts to get the best of both versions of the films.

WDW MrWomble

Went for the amazon.com ones myself when they were $9.99

With postage was about £42 for the set - basic art outside, blank inside as previously mentioned - BD's were region free, DVD's locked to region 1

Just swapped disks with my trilogy boxset and sold to CEX for £10

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
Went for the amazon.com ones myself when they were $9.99

With postage was about £42 for the set - basic art outside, blank inside as previously mentioned - BD's were region free, DVD's locked to region 1

Just swapped disks with my trilogy boxset and sold to CEX for £10

I did the same but it was so hard getting copies of each of the trilogy that didn't have some sort of ding, paint chip or other annoyance. They're pretty dull steels in fairness but then the Hobbit steels haven't set my pulse racing either.

WDW MrWomble

I did the same but it was so hard getting copies of each of the trilogy that didn't have some sort of ding, paint chip or other annoyance. They're pretty dull steels in fairness but then the Hobbit steels haven't set my pulse racing either.

That i'll agree with from what i read about them before purchase, luckily enough none of the 3 i got had any dings, but The Two Towers has a slight scratch on the back

Nothing to complain about, but happy to have them in steelbook, if only to have all 6 LOTR & Hobbit films complete in steel... Besides, love the films so it was a no brainer really... Might (and i'll stress might) give them a gloss coat as i have seen in other threads to spruce them up a little

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
That i'll agree with from what i read about them before purchase, luckily enough none of the 3 i got had any dings, but The Two Towers has a slight scratch on the back

Nothing to complain about, but happy to have them in steelbook, if only to have all 6 LOTR & Hobbit films complete in steel... Besides, love the films so it was a no brainer really... Might (and i'll stress might) give them a gloss coat as i have seen in other threads to spruce them up a little

Gloss finish would definitely improve them, they are very dull it has to be said. It's a shame the steelbooks for these haven't had a bit more love from the manufacturers really.

replicant81

I used to have those theatrical steels but they were poor so moved them on.

The extended editions will always have the dvds included so if you want jumbo steels then thats ok.

Personally I miss the amaray boxset so I am rebuying it, lovely packaging and around £25 compared to 3 jumbos which will be nearly £50.

As for the hobbit releases im selling mine and again will wait for the extended trilogy amaray set. They will look much smarter than the ugly steels.

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
I'm inclined to agree with all of that replicant, the steels for all of them have been hugely disappointing. My only annoyance with boxsets is the flipping bbfc logos splattered on them. I guess the solution is to buy the US boxsets.

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
I nearly pulled the trigger on that future shop one but like you say, too much.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom