L.A.'s Finest Season 2 (Sky/Now) TV Show Review & Comments

D

Deleted member 795353

Never even heard of this show lol. Interesting that you make the reference to Oceans 8 vs the other gender swap failures. I think Oceans got the chemistry right and had a serviceable script. They also made the necessary adjustments for female protagonists. Yes there was the usual men don't see us because we're women, but that made sense in the world they were getting involved in. Nice twist at the end too.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the Review Cas,
To quote Marvin the Paranoid Android
"Sounds Awful"
;)

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Never even heard of this show lol. Interesting that you make the reference to Oceans 8 vs the other gender swap failures. I think Oceans got the chemistry right and had a serviceable script. They also made the necessary adjustments for female protagonists. Yes there was the usual men don't see us because we're women, but that made sense in the world they were getting involved in. Nice twist at the end too.

It'd definitely be super-awesome if Hollywood didn't have these stupid cycles - a decade+ of cookie-cutter sequels, a decade of remakes, and now this obsession with gender-swapping remakes like it's some kind of genius creative idea. There's really no need for it.

That said, in all the cycles, there have always been some decent efforts, so it's certainly not worth dismissing them all wholesale. Oceans may not have quite been Widows, but it did indeed nail the chemistry, which is half the battle - LA's Finest would have similarly survived on chemistry alone, but I just don't think Alba and Union like each other all that much.

Mind you, Crawford and Wayans still made it work despite real-life animosity, so maybe this is just a case of bad on-screen chemistry and clunking scripting. Kinda thinking about it, it would have made sense to hire two actresses who were more comfortable with comedy first and foremost, as per the Bad Boys mould.

encaser

Distinguished Member
How did you fail to pull rank over Tom and endure this, Cas?
I'm sensing a hidden camera sting operation closer to home....

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
How did you fail to pull rank over Tom and endure this, Cas?
I'm sensing a hidden camera sting operation closer to home....

I think I'm one of only 4 reviewers in the country who has actually seen the first season, so I'd have to have made Tom watch the first season just to get up to date. That's just unnecessarily mean.

scrowe

Distinguished Member
Wow ... I was actually enjoying it, and thinking this a cut above the likes of SWAT/FBI, etc. Albeit I don't mind them either.

But if you want to see something completely bereft of any organic ideas, or reason to exist. check out 911 - Lone Star.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
You are spot on with this review. I watched the first season which was hard work but ok, but this second season is just bad. I persevered for 3 episodes of season 2 but have better things to watch so will be deleting it from the box.

I don’t have the problem that a few members have on this forum with women in lead roles and the premise of this show should have worked. Two sexy, tough, wise cracking female cops in LA with the Bad Boys style.

But the banter which works so well in Bad Boys completely misses the mark here. Not just slightly but it doesn’t work on any level and is painfully forced. It’s not just because the leads are female, the banter fails miserably with the two supporting male cops too.

Also Jessica Alba and Gabrielle Union’s range of acting is pretty limited. When you are out acted by a teenager, there is something wrong.

It’s a shame as this could have been good, but it is nowhere close to being so.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom