Léon: The Professional Ultra HD Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Totall agree - watched this last night. Stunning disc!

Such a great film, still remember clearly seeing this at the flicks. Tried to get into The Chelsea in New York last year (where the stairways were filmed for Mathilda apartment) but it was being renovated. I understand weekly tours can be arranged if anyone else is thinking of visiting?

I only have the Blu Ray but top sound and picture and what a stylish film!

Blinkin flip! I was trying to stop buying disks for a while...

Woah. Sounds awesome. I might have to get this...

"Sure, the modern digital crowd will be wondering what all this 'noise' is about, but that's natural grain, which affords the piece a wonderful texture that most modern digitally-shot productions have to implement in post-production if they want to even attempt an imitation at this kind of rich purity of classic cinematography."

Sorry, I normally really appreciate your reviews but this came across as unnecessarily snobbish. I personally dislike grain, and accept its an unavoidable byproduct of film, but I don't think it's something that should be regarded as enhancing picture quality in the slightest.

HDR also seems to highlight grain to a distracting degree. It takes over the image.

One of my favourite films, definitely going to buy this on UHD.

Personal favourite for a long time - just pips The Boondock Saints in this genre for me :)

It's making me tempted to get an XB1S to get the higher definition...

So this is a US import. Is it scheduled for a UK release and if not then where's the best place to purchase it from if located in the UK?

So this is a US import. Is it scheduled for a UK release and if not then where's the best place to purchase it from if located in the UK?
Best buy or amazon.ca.

I remember importing the Japanese DVD of this many years back, as it was the only way to get the longer version at the time.

Amusing too to see that the benefit of shooting on actual film continue. When we moved to HD we found that many things shot on SD digital video couldn't make the move with us, and now we see countless films, even brand new ones, stuck with 2K DIs. 35mm film on the other hand, continues to gloriously stride between home video generations without batting an eyelid.

As for this disc, I'll be in the US soon so I may well pick it up. Best thing Luc Beson ever did by a mile.

And a kick in the bum from customs.

Said no one. Ever. ;)
It's close, with the over the top Willem Dafoe performance being sublime in TBS (think bloody latex glove and hair scene in first viewing!), but there's something about Leon that's got a good balance of human and animal for me.

(I should reiterate that I compare the two only for style etc - Leon is still one of the best films I have personally seen)

So you're talking £30 to £40 after adding carriage?

I just purchased five minutes ago, £31 was the damage. Fingers crossed i don't incur any further charges.

Item Subtotal:CDN$ 32.82
Shipping & Handling:CDN$ 15.98
Estimated Tax (GST/HST):CDN$ 0.00
Estimated Tax (PST/QST):CDN$ 0.00
Order Total:CDN$ 48.80
(GBP 30.98)

I just purchased five minutes ago, £31 was the damage. Fingers crossed i don't incur any further charges.

Item Subtotal:CDN$ 32.82
Shipping & Handling:CDN$ 15.98
Estimated Tax (GST/HST):CDN$ 0.00
Estimated Tax (PST/QST):CDN$ 0.00
Order Total:CDN$ 48.80
(GBP 30.98)

Was this from Best Buy?

Léon: The Professional [4K Ultra HD Blu-ray] [1994]

EDIT obviously not because of the price :)

I note that you'll not receive it until at least September 4th and may even have to wait until the 18th before you get it via their international delivery service.

Last edited:
I think CDN$ is canadian dollers therefor amazon.ca.

Yeah, I worked that one out for myself shortly after I posted :) I've ordered it. Did you note the estimated delivery date? Are they sending it by rowing boat?

Was this from Best Buy?

Léon: The Professional [4K Ultra HD Blu-ray] [1994]

EDIT obviously not because of the price :)

I note that you'll not receive it until at least September 4th and may even have to wait until the 18th before you get it via their international delivery service.

It will stop being an Best Buy exclusive on the 8-10-2017 in the US,then go on general sale in the US,and hopefully the price will be better than Can at the moment :)

Yeah, I worked that one out for myself shortly after I posted :) I've ordered it. Did you note the estimated delivery date? Are they sending it by rowing boat?

Yeah sorry forgot to mention it was Amazon.ca, I went for the cheapest delivery option.

Your estimated delivery date is:
Monday, September 4 -
Monday, September 18

Your shipping speed:
Standard International Shipping

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom