Léon: The Professional - Blu-ray Review

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Cas Harlow, 19th November 2009
Well, Léon is my favourite film of all time, and I have tried to explain why. It marks a high point in the careers of all those involved and has clearly stood the test of time (over the last fifteen years). Finally hitting Blu-ray, fans should not be disappointed as this is clearly the definitive edition to own – technically improving on all previous versions in terms of video and audio. Whilst there are some items that appear to be missing – participation from the director and Gary Oldman, and a reported commentary track recorded by Natalie Portman would have been nice inclusions, and extra footage from a hinted-at even longer version would have been spectacular – this is still a decent effort. The documentaries are remarkably informative and well worth your time. I highly recommend that you buy a copy of this film (no question that it should be the director’s cut) and this is clearly the edition to own.

“It’s when you start to become really afraid of death that you learn to appreciate life.”
Read the full review...

Excellent been waiting for the directors cut to surface a must have for me, thanks for the review.

How does this compare to the Region B version (I suspect they are identical)...

Leon Blu-ray review at AVForums.com

With my thoughts on it...

"JUst watched this. I have had two previous versions of this on DVD (R1 & R2)

Picture - poor and not because of the original material. Severe shade banding. The colours have been poorly tweaked with some over saturation.

Audio - this was appaling. The DVD DD5.1 was better. The whole DTSMA5.1 mix has been put through a compressor removing virtually all of the dynamics. Gunshots are now completely lost in the mix. The explosion at the end of the film on the DVD scares the crap out of you - on this release... er.

This is one of my top10 favourite films but this release is a disgrace to bluray."

How does this compare to the Region B version (I suspect they are identical)...

Leon Blu-ray review at AVForums.com

With my thoughts on it...

"JUst watched this. I have had two previous versions of this on DVD (R1 & R2)

Picture - poor and not because of the original material. Severe shade banding. The colours have been poorly tweaked with some over saturation.

Audio - this was appaling. The DVD DD5.1 was better. The whole DTSMA5.1 mix has been put through a compressor removing virtually all of the dynamics. Gunshots are now completely lost in the mix. The explosion at the end of the film on the DVD scares the crap out of you - on this release... er.

This is one of my top10 favourite films but this release is a disgrace to bluray."

I own the Korean R3 Anniversary Edition of Leon, which along with the Japanese Advanced DTS Collector's Edition is widely regarded as the best version available on DVD.

Not only does this Sony release better my R3 DVD in the PQ stakes, it also betters the DTS track available on the Director’s Cut in the Korean set.

As your post is so far removed from my own experience, and every review of this disc that I have seen to date, I can only assume you have some major setup issues.:eek:

P.S.
The contrast on the Blu-ray is certainly boosted somewhat in comparison to my R3 DVD, however, given this transfer was supposedly supervised by Luc Besson, I can live with that.

Last edited:
Whilst this release may not exhibit the kind of benchmark quality some recent blockbusters have showcased on the format, it is still definitively superior to previous SD-DVD incarnations, both visually and aurally.

Whilst this release may not exhibit the kind of benchmark quality some recent blockbusters have showcased on the format, it is still definitively superior to previous SD-DVD incarnations, both visually and aurally.

I could not agree more.:smashin:

I am impressed, not knowing that this was just released.. Good news as I boycotted the previous releases..

All good news to my ears and eyes..

Excellent review..

Getting this 1 for sure..

:thumbsup:

I own the Korean R3 Anniversary Edition of Leon, which along with the Japanese Advanced DTS Collector's Edition is widely regarded as the best version available on DVD.

Not only does this Sony release better my R3 DVD in the PQ stakes, it also betters the DTS track available on the Director's Cut in the Korean set.

As your post is so far removed from my own experience, and every review of this disc that I have seen to date, I can only assume you have some major setup issues.:eek:

P.S.
The contrast on the Blu-ray is certainly boosted somewhat in comparison to my R3 DVD, however, given this transfer was supposedly supervised by Luc Besson, I can live with that.

I completely agree.

The contrast boost is a bit of a problem, but the PQ and SQ are extremely good in every other way.

Thanks again Cas for another splendid review.

Steve W

OK I am interested in a direct comparison of the Optimum release and Sony if any 1 has them??

I suspect that the Optimum and Sony releases are the same. Unfortunately I don't have the UK Optimum release to do a direct compare but will post back if I do manage to do a comparison. Thanks for all your comments.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, but currently which is the better release of Leon, the US or UK version, or are they the same? Is the UK copy region free as well?

The US version is Region Free but the UK version is not, it is locked to Region B only. As far as everybody has reported so far, the two look to be identical.

I always liked this film and never got around to buying and glad i missed the last Blu-ray version ..

on this Review this is a buy,Good review Cas :smashin:

I love this film, but I'm holding out on this one until someone I can see someone who has seen both versions confirm that they are the same transfer.

Generally, the reviews of the UK version have all mentioned the distracting contrast issue, whereas the online US reviews, although mentioning the contrast, have not made as big issue about it and generally scored the video higher.

I know in all likliehood they are identical, but I'm sure with other geeks such as myself around, it's only a matter of time before someone does a true comparison / analysis.

This is one of my favourite fillms and definately one to add to my Christmas list.

I managed to get , ahem, a 2 gig rip of the BR version and it simply trounces any DVD version out there..
I did a side by side comparison on the PS3 and the DVD struggles as an 8 gig file to compete with a 2 gig BR PS3 rip..
I am amazed, and I watched with pure enlightenment on how good this movie can look..
I was simply amazed by the walls, yes walls, call me a wall lover, all the cracks, paint peeling, fine detail of the old buildings, man oh man how good can a movie look.
Colors outside the shop, or Matilda's building were very natural...
Was a breath of fresh air I tell you..
Ordering this 1 tomorrow from AMA-ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooon....

Excellent review of a great classic film, thanks Cas.
Surprised, you did not mention the classic line when Oldman screams "EVERYONE" in response to his subordonate's need for clarification about what he means by "everyone".

YouTube - The Professional -- Everyone

:smashin:
I managed to get , ahem, a 2 gig rip of the BR version and it simply trounces any DVD version out there..
I did a side by side comparison on the PS3 and the DVD struggles as an 8 gig file to compete with a 2 gig BR PS3 rip..
I am amazed, and I watched with pure enlightenment on how good this movie can look..
I was simply amazed by the walls, yes walls, call me a wall lover, all the cracks, paint peeling, fine detail of the old buildings, man oh man how good can a movie look.
Colors outside the shop, or Matilda's building were very natural...
Was a breath of fresh air I tell you..
Ordering this 1 tomorrow from AMA-ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooon....

Are you referring to the Optimum or the Sony blu-ray disc as having good picture quality? I'm just deciding which one to get--- thanks

The general consensus appears to be that both Blu-ray versions are identical.

:smashin:

Are you referring to the Optimum or the Sony blu-ray disc as having good picture quality? I'm just deciding which one to get--- thanks

Blu ray rip, don't know which one it was, but the 2 gig file destroyed my R1 SE DVD one, much cleaner, so any Blu ray would make a mockery of the DVD..

:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom