$ky Broadband - Static or Dynamic IP?

CG121

With the launch of this new service I tried to ascertain the above information, but couldn't find an answer on their website..

Either I'm blind, didn't look long enough or they've decided to showcase the product and ignore the technical detail..

Although I strongly suspect dynamic IP's only, does anyone know if Static IP's are available on either the BT Wholesale or LLU services offered by $ky...?

Ta :)

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
I'm interested why you want a Static IP address? Or what Sky's offering has to do with BT Wholesale? I thought that most people would be end users. Just curious.

Tony Hoyle

It's probably dynamic. Plus if they follow the UKOnline model (easynet's last attempt at this) they'll block all the useful ports anyway.. so not an option if you want to run any kind of server.

For the 90% that don't it's perfectly fine... generally static IP is considered a premium service for tech-heads like me - most people don't use it.

CG121

Thanks for that. Looks like $ky won't be getting any further services from me then.

Another dumbed down effort to satisfy the minions :)

As for BTW, they provision the DSL network in the UK beerhunter...

Downinja

Very likely to be Static, I am with UKO LLU and mine is static (although you might have to request it).

Blocked ports are 80, 8080, 25 & 3128 (IIRC) which are basically web mail and proxy servers.

CG121

daniel_owen_uk said:
Very likely to be Static, I am with UKO LLU and mine is static (although you might have to request it).

Blocked ports are 80, 8080, 25 & 3128 (IIRC) which are basically web mail and proxy servers.
Hmm, no smtp/web/Active API servers then and no access to countless routers (remotely) on port 8080 :(

andykn

CG121 said:
Another dumbed down effort to satisfy the minions :)

You get what you pay for...

Although Dynamic DNS may give you what you want.

CG121

andykn said:
You get what you pay for...

Although Dynamic DNS may give you what you want.
Aint that the truth...

DDNS won't help though..

I wasn't bothered at the cost of the service, it just would've been nice to merge tv/broadband/phone into the one bill..Never mind.

Downinja

CG121 said:
Hmm, no smtp/web/Active API servers then and no access to countless routers (remotely) on port 8080 :(

You would honestly leave remote router management on port 8080?

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom