KWorld DVB-T 380U USB stick on XP Pro

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by digitl, Jan 29, 2009.

1. digitl

digitl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I've been using my KWorld DVB-T 380U USB stick on a Vista Home Premium installation and watching live broadcasts using Vista's Media Center (when will they learn how to spell centre?) rather than the Kworld Hypermedia Center which takes up too much screen space around the actual programme picture and has a hopeless channel numbering system.

However, I've finally got fed up with Vista's many instabilities and have reinstalled XP Pro. Although, again, I can use KWorld's software to view broadcasts I would prefer the Media Center option. Anyone know how I can achieve this? Is it available for XP Pro (I've searched and failed!)?

TIA

2. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Not available as such, I believe it only shipped as a special version of XP. Even worse only the Vista version is being actively updated as part of Microsofts attempt to force Vista on us all, so full Freeview support won't be making it to XP along with the other annoyances.

If you want Freeview+ features you need Vista MC, if not there are a couple of good free alternatives. Others will suggest favourites from the pile of commercial offerings ;)

Mediaportal
    is getting pretty stable and makes great use of tuners - I've hit 10 concurrent recordings on my 4 tuner PC. Very resource heavy though.
    gbpvr is less resource hungry and has just caught up with Mediaportals tuner use abilities.