1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KWIKSAVE 32" MEDION LCD £650

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by dvdphile, Aug 10, 2005.

1. dvdphile

dvdphile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
  2. coley65

coley65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The picture on the flyer is the same one aldi were doing except it is black yet the picture in the store on the wall and website is a totally different model.

My local store has not got them in stock yet I would love some info on them if anyone can help. Also anybody know of kwiksave returns policy.

Regards Coley

3. sholao

sholao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got one yet? Early indications are that it is not the same model as was sold by Aldi, the big difference being the location of the speakers of this one being on the side.

The specs do look good on paper and the price is definately good. Could it be an improved version of the 32" model sold through Aldi?

4. dvdphile

dvdphile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    The picture on the flyer showed the speakers as built in to the stand at the bottom! :rolleyes: :confused:

This made me wonder what you do if you want to hang it on the wall?

Gary

5. sholao

sholao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Un-fortunately I don't live near a Kwik Save store, so can't pop in to check what it looks like.

Anyone want to volunteer to take a pic so we can see if this is the same as thet sold by Aldi?

6. REALDEAL

REALDEAL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    not had a chance to pop in my local , but not noticed any HD logos etc.......

7. mr-monday

mr-monday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I wouldn't even buy a pack of sausages from Kwicksave, let a one a TV. You know that it's gonna be a disapointment, don't you?

8. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Mr Monday is quite right. Buying a major electronic item from a supermarket (especially a 'bottom dollar' one) is a recipe for disaster. Quicksave don't sell TV's because they care about TV or have an interest in them, they sell them because they saw them sat in a warehouse at a low low price and thought they could make a swift buck.
    Many people on these boards discovered this when they bought the 'bargain' Tevion from Tesco (or was it Aldi?...), only to find it wasn't all it was cracked up to be.
    If you are not particularly fussed over PQ or HD and just want a 'flat screen' replacement for your old CRT set, then you may be happy enough with one of these, but otherwise I'd give this kind of thing a wide berth.

9. coley65

coley65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hang on a mo before you start slanging off a product you have not even viewed. I bought the Tevion from Aldi and yes I did take it back. There are problems with the set but were very minor. The picture and sound quality was as good as the most expensive lcd you could buy from my opion. The reason I had to return it was because the low bitrates that dtt broadcast. Every other aspect of the tv was 10 out of 10. The returns service of these supermakets are superb not like the online ones which rip you off for P&P. In my view of things just cos they are selling a product cheap does not mean qaulity should suffer.

Regards Coley

10. sholao

sholao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Said Coley. :thumbsup:

11. Radio_Daze

Radio_Daze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    In defense of Kwik Save and Medion. I bought the computer I am using now, a Medion from Kwik Save about 3 years ago for what was at the time a bargain price.
    In that time it has performed faultlessly, and much better than the Evesham load of tat that it replaced. So lets try not run down what we have not yet tried or seen!
    On the other hand a few months ago I saw a Medion lap top on a flyer in Kwik Save, and when I rang up Medion and asked if they could e-mail me the spec for it, I was told by the chap on the phone that "They had no facilities for that kind of thing". A computer company that can't send an e-mail, I would have been more impressed if he had said the computers were down! :rolleyes:

12. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Lets not be silly here, you invariably get what you pay for in life. Pay bottom dollar and you get a bottom dollar product, and to try to compare it with something from Sony or Panasonic is just plain ridiculous - there's none as blind as them that don't want to see. As for Evesham being tat well that just about sums up your ability to judge a product. The Evesham I use every day for personal use is just about the best PC I have ever had the pleasure of owning, certainly better than the Dell I use every day at work.

13. coley65

coley65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    We all have opinions of what’s the best or what’s not as there is always something better. Like I said I believe that if a product that is advertised and does not live up to your own expectations then just take or send the thing back. Manufactures of electrical products need to reach a certain standard. My experience of looking for a 32" TV has been one that I have found that everyone has a flaw of some kind.

Anyway my manager of my local kwiksave has put one aside for me. I will take a look tomorrow and see if it’s worth £650

Regards Coley

14. Radio_Daze

Radio_Daze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well the Evesham I had was TAT, and the only time I ever rang Evesham for help, I spoke to what I can only call an arogant git who should be sacked!
    On the question of cut price TV's, I have a 32" Video7 LCD which is excellent, and PQ wise can match many of the big names.
    Yes I can judge a product, I rejected four Toshiba (BIG NAME ) 36" Picture Frame TV's all of which had terrible convergence problems. Very often you pay for a name which is often made by another company anyway.
    I for one am getting tired of the so called big mames, who charge highly inflated prices. Like I said, lets not condemn something until we see it.
    So stick that in yer Pipe! :D

15. sholao

sholao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think that was called for, everyone is entitled to air their opinion afterall. :)

If he prefers to stick with big brands, good luck to him.

There are others who know that good products don't have to carry a Sony or Toshiba badge.

16. coley65

coley65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What a nasty person you are Faust there is no need to try and knock down people you dont know. I think you got the reply you deseverd.

I went into Kwiksave to check this tv out. The set is not hd so no good to me but in the looks departement I thought it was really nice.

Now considering the topic we are having here I asked the manager what about if I took it and didnt like the set could I bring it back in say 2 weeks. He said no problem at all. In fact his answer was we have none on display and I know nothing about tv so the best thing to take it home and have a play if you dont like it just bring it back and we will refund you.

regards Coley

17. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    How is it not HD?

The advert had 1366x768 and DVI + VGA inputs, could it be that it does not accept HD component input 720p / 1080i a la TEVION.

There are no component inputs mentioned, only SCART. However some LCD's (Philips / Toshiba / alledgily TEVION) accept component via VGA (or DVI-A).

Maybe the DVI is not HDCP enabled, has anyone read the manual?

Has anyone actually brought the TV yet, and tested HD sources??

18. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,030
    There are two upsides in buying a TV from somewhere like this.

1: It will, in all probability, be good value.

2: In the event of any difficulty (which may or may not be more likely with such a brand, I don't claim to know) then supermarkets are much, much, much more likely to simply give you a straight refund, rather than quibbling over repairs (or even whether or not it's faulty) etc. , than a "proper" retailer is.

So: If all is OK, you get a bargain. If it isn't, you probably get a no-quibble refund. Seems like a no-lose scenario.

19. Radio_Daze

Radio_Daze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    When I enquired about a Medion lap top in Kwik Save a few months ago, I was told that if I had a problem with it I would have to send it to Medion, and not return it to them!
    I know that trading standards have a different point of view though.

20. helpneeded

helpneeded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just on a lighter note, you think thats barmy, how about a major broadband provider not being able to send out emails, I've had that on more than one occasion!!!

What is going on with the world!

As regard to the Tellys, if you're please with what you brought, then thats it! Whats in a name? Its like the big deal with sports clothing, £40 for a t-shirt?? I think not, £10 for the t-shirt and other costs, and £30 for the name, me thinks!.

I've done an Engineering degree, and I know that with most products, they're produced on the cheap, and sold for top whack prices! Thats how I feel about most Sony products. Don't get me wrong, the good manufacturers do make some brilliant products, but for basic products, such as a Telly, surely if it does the job, and does it reasonably well (considering the money you pay for it), whats the big deal!

21. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,030
    I suspect there is a difference between a PC (where software and/or user error is highly likely to be the cause of any problem) and a TV. As I say, my experience of supermarkets is that , if you walk back in to the customer service "person" with, what you say is a defective product, they'll just refund you on the spot. Certainly was the case with Tesco and a DVD player, and, reportedly, Sainsbury's and a LCD TV.

By the way: I'm sitting in front of a Medion PC as I type this. Entirely happy with it (so far.....)

22. Luxorjr

Luxorjr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,
    Yesterday I gave in and took my Tevion back to Aldi.
    Due to that experience I've learn't alot about TV's in the process and like everyone else I'm now looking for another set that will be the centre of my entertainment needs (PC, DVDs and games).

So I took a trip out today to a Kwik Save and thanks to a sympathetic manager took a look inside at the manual. He even rang the Medion helpline to qualify a few answers.

From memory this is what I found.

The sets supports the same PC resolutions as the Aldi/Tevion/Medion 32" and only at 60Hz.
    The Medion technical help says its not 1:1 mapped.

The DVI socket supports both DV-D and DV-A. So it should accept component.
    RGB1 (scart 1 I presume) can also be used as a DVI socket.

The set has a 24 month warranty off Medion.

I could find no mention of HDCP so could this be the reason it does not carry the HD logo?

23. Bill S

Bill S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Very strange to not have HDCP but that might be just a manual omission - the Tevion manual does not mention HDCP except on the insert sheet. The independant test did show HDCP on the DVI!

Even without HDCP, it should work with the early Sky HD box by using component to DVI leads. If its got HDCP, then that seems good value at the moment. I suspect others will beat it before Christmas however.

I also use a Medion PC (ex Aldi) - very good value imho! Like TVs and most AV equipment, the components all come from the same sources whatever the name on the front!
    Why pay for Toshiba DVDs when the identical electronics can be bought (in better looking boxes) much cheaper but with Samsung 840/850 940/950 labels on them?

Brand names can cost a lot extra - sometimes just not worth it - I've had Mercs for years and been very happy but my last E-series was rusting after only 4 years - a much cheaper Japanese model would have been better vfm - but that doesn't stop me buying a 535.

The big advantage of cheaper electronics is that you can change more frequently. High spec. PCs are out-performed by the cheapest within a year. The same appears to be happening with AV equipment.

So buy a 1366x768 Tevion 32" this year AND a 1920x1080 Tevion 37" next year and you still will pay out less than a "Branded" 32" 1366x768 HD ready now.

24. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Latest flyier from Somerfield has a Medion 32" LCD (MD30132). It looks just like the TEVION 32" LCD, except it is coloured black (Speakers underneath, different to Kwiksave model which has side speakers).

It is £649.99, but has slightly different spec to orginal TEVION 32", spec seems the same as Kwiksave model MD30112.

Main "differences" between TEVION & Somerfield MEDION:-
    3 Scarts
    VGA and DVI connection

no mention of HDReady or HDCP, or component input on advert.

It does mention PnP, wonder what if it is split screen??

Edited:-
    It looks like they have reworked, the Aldi returns, and removed HDReady promise, rebadged it, and changed the colour........I wonder where they got that idea????????

German review of Somerfield model MD30132 (previously posted on TEVION thread)

http://translate.google.com/transla...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

If you know a Somerfield or Kwiksave employee (same group) they can get 10-20% staff discount on purchases. That would make it £520, now that's tempting.

25. mavice

mavice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    this could still be a potential bargain

has anyone tried the Medion with DVI input (or VGA) to see if it will do 1:1 mapping ?

If it does then it will make a fantastic monitor and/or cheap TV when fed from a digital source.

If the imternal processing or scaling is cheapo, this wont matter if you are feeding 1:1 from PC.

might tide us over til a decent all rounder comes out that meets all criteria. Then it can be relegated to the bedroom :D

26. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I can only comment on the TEVION 32" LCD sold through Aldi this was £750 a couple of months back. This appears to be the same as the Somerfield MEDION, see my previous post.

It does component 480p/576p via SCART, special component to SCART cable required. The PQ is good imo, but other advertised features:- split screen, HD component, do not work. Problems with RED pass UHF tuner, subtitles, 480p and scart cropping on orginal firmware.

These features are not advertised on the Somerfield version, which also has a shorter warranty. It is "likely" that the new firmware would be applied to these TV's, which solves UHF Red pass, 480p, and subtitle issues, but does not enable HD component input or 1:1 pixel mapping.

The DVI-I works well both from PC or upscaling DVD Player, but it does not have 1:1 pixel mapping. It will support 1366x768 @60hz, but you can see some type of scaling is still involved.

I use it for web surfing, HD viewing off PC, freeview via scart. The fact it does not do 1:1 is not a show stopper, and you can get used to it in the short term, but I will ensure its replacement does have 1:1 mapping.

It is likely the KIWKSAVE Medion uses the same panel, and electronics, so no 1:1 mapping, but until someone buys and tries it, I can only offer speculation...................................BUT 90% of AVForum's posts are opinions and guesswork anyway :D !

27. Luxorjr

Luxorjr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I see this the Kwik Save/Somerfield's appear to be reworked Aldi's.
    So I'm will to have a try to see if it meets my needs (PC second screen, TV and games consoles [particularly if I can get component into it]).
    Here in Crewe we've got the KS version but none of the Somerfield's which is preferable to it being shorter overall.
    So what does the panel think and are there any near to me???

28. Billo

Billo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Looking at the flyer ad then it does indeed look like a re worked Aldi but in black BUT if you go into Somerfield,as I did, then it is a totaly different TV with the speakers at the side and a different stand.The one I saw was still boxed so I do not even know what colour it is and there was only a cheap line drawing of the model on the box.It did say that it had 3 scarts,component,DVI,and Sub D inputs as well as PiP(maybe only through DVI or PC?) and 'mosaic' function.So it's still a bit of an unknown quantity(and Quality)

29. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    That description is similar to the Kwiksave "quickie" website post. I did notice that the Somerfield flyier had model code MD30132 (Speaker's underneath), but the Kwiksave website had model code MD30112 (Speaker's on side).

Did you notice the model code on the version you saw in Somerfield? My local Somerfield had none on display so I am only going off the flyier picture.

As Somerfield and Kwiksave are linked, it would make sense if it was the same model being sold in both stores.

Has anyone seen an actual model for sale in Somerfield/Kwiksave with the speakers underneath (like the TEVION 32" sold in Aldi)?

Or they could just be moving unsold stocks between Kwiksave and Somerfield stores to satisfy demand.

30. melvarius

melvarius
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm buying one on friday. i work for kwiksave so i'll get 10% discount. 32" lcd for £585 sounds good to me. once i get it home i'll fire it up and see what works and what doesn't. don't know too much about HD so may not be able to help there. I vaguely recall it having to do with higher resolution and higher scan rate, but don't quote me on it. i'll let you know how i get on.