1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kwik fit- rip off?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Miyazaki, Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I had my honda mot'd last friday at kwik fit, taking advantage of their £25 mot offer. The car failed on the service brakes. Was told it would cost £180 to fix. Problems included a "judder" on the brakes. They were about as unspecific as possible, and about as unfriendly as possible.

Got back home, had a look at the brake pads, and they were pretty much worn through. Went up to the local motor parts shop, purchased a pack of 4 brake pads for £25, took it back down for a free MOT retest and it sailed through.

All seems well until I considered that it took me approx. 1/2 hour to change the pads, without a haynes manual, and I am a complete amateur.

This is the kicker, why the hell would kwik fit charge £180 to swap some brake pads out that would have taken one of their mechanics a maximum of ten minutes to sort out?

Pure profiteering, thats what. :mad:

I am disgusted that they would skim so much off the top, for a relatively simple job. I guess that is how they can afford to offer an MOT for £25 eh. :eek:

I feel sorry for anyone else without the motivation or "skill" to be able to give their car a once over before taking it in for repairs. It can save you a fortune, and in my case, can save you from cowboys!

What does everyone else think about this? Should I write to Kwik Fit customer services?

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,222
    Sounds on form for Kwik Fit- I'd sooner have my car serviced by a kindergarten. Find a talented independent and stick with them :smashin:.

3. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,251
    it amazes me how much they can even charge for fitting tyres, considering that is the core of their business...

I priced up a set of 4 tyres before Christmas,

Kwik-Fit £68 per tyre, fitted & balanced
    A.N other £42 per tyre, fitted & balanced

FOR EXACTLY THE SAME TYRES !!

4. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,785
    Definitely. They have a poster up in my local branch with a picture of the chairmen that tells you that he wants to know if you are not satisfied. The satisfied is crossed out and delighted is added.

I would be furious if I'd had your experience. I'm sure there are regulatory bodies you could also report them to.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    I would always advise going to an MOT station to get the MOT done, they only do the tests and so there's no benefit in them failing it for non-existant problems. You get a free re-test as long as you go back within a certain time with the problems fixed.

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    they gotta pay for those crap adverts on tv somehow i guess......

7. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I sent off the following email to Kwik Fit. What do you think?

"I took my car for an MOT on Friday 29th July, and the service brakes failure meant my car failed its MOT. The comments on the sheet were very unspecific, which led me to question whether it had failed at all. I was told that it would cost £180 to fix the car, so I took it home. I then examined the brakes myself, and found that the brake pads had worn significantly. I then purcahsed replacement brake pads myself at a total cost of £25 and fitted them myself. On 3rd August, Kwik Fit retested my car and it passed its MOT.

I cannot fathom why such a simple job, that took a complete amateur myself, with no guidance 1/2 an hour to complete, would cost me £180, especially as I am sure a trained mechanic could complete the job in under ten minutes. Presumably you can source the parts far cheaper than I can, which only increases the amount of shock and anger that I feel.

I can think of no justifiable reason why such a simple job as swapping brake pads, could be so difficult to describe on an MOT failure sheet, and furthermore, why it would cost such an extortionate amount of money to fix. The only reason I can come up with is that the details were made vague in order to deter members of the public, such as myself, from doing their own repairs, or sourcing repairs elsewhere.

I am absolutely disgusted with Kwik Fit over this and plan on never using you again, and if anyone asks me where to get an MOT done, I shall inform them of my experience with you.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this email."

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    that should get a response!

9. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Swapped them yourself did you? Iam well impressed I remember when you didnt know the front from the rear of a car :D

As for Kwikfit hope you nail them. They will deny it of course but they were obviously trying to mislead you.
    Theres a council run mot place behind where I used to live next to central park in Plymouth, they have nothing to gain from failing your car. Let them do it next time. :)

10. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Will do mate. Thanks for the heads up.

Do you miss living on Dale Winton road?

11. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    First thing, is for gods sakes let those pads bed in for 500 miles before any heavy braking.

You would be paying for a professional (as if :laugh: ) service.
    They should check your disks for run out using a Dial Gauge to check for any warping. Then the disks should then be measured with a micrometer to ensure they are no where near the minimum thickness etc etc...
    I'd also want the breaks bled as well, for safety.
    All this takes time and costs money.
    Personally I've used them in the past to do the diagnosis for me and then declined their costly offer of service.

Best advice is as above, use a dedicated MOT station and find a small local garage to do any repair work for you.

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Well I'd like to say that I have had exemplary service from Kwik Fit....After Event2 the exhaust fell off my Astra SRi in the car park behind PJ HIFI. It was an ancient thing I bought from a neighbour to get me on the road after my other car died....anyway... the staff at Kwik Fit Guildford had a look and told me that the wrong exhaust had been fitted by the last owner in a bodge job to keep it going....it was going to cost alot for the cat convertor and the rest... I had no money and had to get to Glasgow...I told them I couldn't afford it...They said no probs call us in an hour....so an hour later I called and they said to come around...They had done a clamp and patch to get me back to Glasgow. I asked how much and they said FOC...so I gave them £20 for some beers.....

I've had similar occurances at one of their Glasgow branches that I used to go to occassionally. Only thing I dislike is the phone calls you always get after to check what you thought of their service but to actually try to sell you insurance......

I do agree that their tyre and exhaust prices are expensive but not all KF are crappy rip off merchants......Just an alternate view point but I'm sure you are correct in what happened to you.

Gordon

13. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Was the quote of £180 for pads only or was that pads, discs and labour?

14. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    AFAIK just the pads and labour.

Why be a doctor when you can be a kwik fit mechanic eh??? £££££

15. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Shocking, dealers are not much better......

16. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £180! And they would have got the pads at trade price, much less than Halfords 'street price'. It appeals to the emotions when they let you know your brakes are dodgy.

Has anyone here ever worked at Kwik Fit? It would be nice to have and insider view :)

17. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    If you ask me, all these places that offer "Free Brake Check", "Free Winter Check", Free anything check" are just a rip off as nothing is free especially labour and they always find something that needs "attention, adjustment or replacing".
    If you invite anyone to spend their time looking at something that is saying "MONEY" to them, they will have to dig something up .We are all cash cows waiting to be milked.
    In 1993 I had a Volvo 340 that went to Kwik Fit for a new exhaust. They said their free brake check had found it needed new wurzel grommetts, seals or something and it would be £180. I had it booked in for a service at local independant garage who said that they were talking out of their behinds! Nothing wrong with the brakes!

18. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not that you bear a grudge!

19. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    lol@Dr

I worked for ATS and national tires many years ago and brakes,suspention or any mechanical jobs like that would bump our monthly bonus more than our usual tires+exhausts so it was in our interests to sell what we could.
    Im not sure if kwikfit are the same though.

20. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +533
    had a similar issue last week when my Saxo went in for a service.

Not only was the service £200.00 but they said i needed a new temp sensor - part £11.63 plus £56.00 to fit it.

Told them to leave it. got home checked the haynes manual and its a 5 min job to fit.

Since then i have had the temp sensor checked by another citroen garage near where i work and its fine......... Think someone was trying to get a few quid in there pay packet this month.

Also my exhaust needed replacing and new pads and discs on the back. Had this all checked out the day before and there fine.

Customer loyalty has gone out the window and eventhough they have serviced my car since new ill go going somewhere else next year!!

Dal

21. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So it's true. Kwik Fit leave you tyred and exhausted

22. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    quick fit are **** FACT

it took them 7 attempts to put a rubber mounting on my mums exhaust, that was 10 years ago (or id have done it myself) never been back since.

i recommend finding a local garage thats very good and sticking to them, my parents have been using the same garage (ive been using them for 6 years now) for the past 20 years, hes reliable, cheap and hastle free, id far rather drive the 60 miles from where i live to my parents house to get the work done, rather than find a garage round here

23. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,548
    If they didn't specify what the £180 was for, then it's a bit harsh to assume it was just for fitting some pads.
    If there is judder on braking, isn't it an indication of warped discs?
    In which case your talking about fitting a set of discs, bleeding the system, supplying the new brake fluid and refilling the system.
    And you're talking about doing this for two wheels?
    Labour on top, public liability insurance, premises, testing equipment and VAT.
    If you were running a garage, you'd probably not be able to do it for much less.
    I don't really know, but then I think you're making some pretty big assumptions to base your criticism on.

24. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    My beef was that they didn't specify what the car failed for. The V40 was so vague, and the mot tester so uninformative that I had no idea what the £180 was for. Saying "judder" on the V40 isn't enough IMO, especially if I was to take it elsewhere for testing.

25. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    I had a problem with Kwik Fit a while ago relating to brakes. My Honda had done almost 90K miles, and all the discs and pads were shot. KF quoted about £100 less than the main delaer to have the work done, so they got the business. First set of front discs warped within 2,000 miles. So did the second set they fitted as a free replacement under their warranty. No arguments from them, just a straight swap, and new pads as well. The third set (sourced by KF from a different supplier) also warped.

By now I was getting a bit miffed, and also approaching their 12,000 mile limit on warranty claims.

To be fair, they had honoured their warranty, and they wanted to put a fourth set of discs and pads on, but I felt there was some thing they were doing wrong, they were obviously not competent to do the work, and I wanted my money back.

I have to say that I have driven over half a million miles in a variety of cars and never had warped discs before.

I had a long chat with Trading Standards, and armed with information from them, got my money back from Kwik Fit, and drove off with their dodgy discs still fitted, up to the Honda main dealer. They replaced the discs, but retained the new pads as they showed no sign of wear.

I felt that I should have gone there in the first place....until, about 1,000 miles later, those discs warped as well!

I went back to the main dealer, and they skimmed the discs (for free - they did try and charge me £135 but I told them to get stuffed, and they backed down - I had mentioned my success at getting money back from Kwik Fit after getting Trading Standards involved, so maybe that swung it).

Since then, (for about 30,000 miles) the discs have been fine.

I have learnt since that poorly lubricated calipers can cause discs to warp, but to have four sets warp in around 8,000 miles is incredible to say the least.

I think the lesson from all this is to get Trading Standards involved as soon as you have had your first knockback from the company, whoever they are. Give the company a chance to put things right, but if it's not to your satisfaction, get on to Trading Standards. I've used them a few times, and their advice is always clear, unambiguous and for me, gets results.

26. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Good advice, I appriciate it. :thumbsup:

27. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Kwik fit abject failures for me include:
    Tracking my car so badly that the steering wheel was at 2oclock to go straight ahead
    Badly fitted exhaust pipe, refitted even worse, went back 3 times, but still knocked
    Broke wheel trim shoved in boot with a 'no clips here' excuse, suspicion got me to look in the boot to find my near snapped in half wheel trim,

Kwik Fit abject failures to people i know
    Fiesta with the wrong exhaust fitted
    Mondeo with the wheel nuts not replaced properly!

personally i wont ever darken the door of Kwik Fit again ever, local independants are a far more knowledgeable and reliable place to go as it is their livelyhood and not just a job.

Happy moaning!

28. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Looks like the moral of the story is "steer" well clear of kwik fit. Unless they "fixed" your tracking, in which case you are likely to steer right into the place. :D

29. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    i definately dont recommend them to anyone, ever.

30. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Well as a flip side to this story. My brothers beautiful 4 day old Passat suffered two split tyres today :( Being a lease car there are restrictions on who can do the work, guess what Kwik Fit are top of the list. After all sorts of problems with recovery and authorisation we eventually got his car to the depot 10 miles away. They did not have stock of the tyres required but rang round all the other branches and tracked some down which were immediately dispatched to us in a taxi. 45 minutes later in total and we were off again after receiving excellent service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.