KV32FX68 owners please help me

littletreasure

Standard Member
Reaction score
After over a year of dithering I finally made up my mind which tv to buy and I went for the Sony KV32FX68. I set it up at the weekend and have managed to get a decent picture, but I think it could be better.

I would be grateful if any owners of this tv could post their settings for contrast, brightness etc so I can try them on my tv. I have attached a picture showing my current settings for comparison. Any other tips regarding this tv would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

tv.jpg

Agreed - I've had mine for about 5 months now and I'm very pleased with it.
I must admit I tend to adjust the colour fairly frequently, but haven't for a while. I find different sources (i.e dvd, cable, terrestrial) can give different results which is why I change it.
Football especially causes trouble as Sky sports gives very green grass compared to bbc output. Seems bizarre, but I have to change the colour occaisionaly.
I did try the movie setting for a while for dvd's, but this is a bit washed out, blacks appear grey. Its quite a cool look though, not sure whether its accurate though
I'll have a look at what I've got tonight.

I have my sharpness app halfway between zero and where you have it and the contrast is about a third up from your setting.I find this best for my taste for freeview. This is can be a bit dull under daylight conditions especially on analogue but then you can flick to live mode.You might find having the auto noise on or off can help.Don't forget some settings cant be altered when you are on digital. I haven't had to change colour to suit any input.

Here is what works well for my FX66:

Contrast - 10 notches from maximum
Brightness - For exact setting use THX Optimizer or Video Essentials
Colour - In the middle at all times, noticing colour variation is a good thing!
Sharpness - Same as Movie mode

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try your suggestions out. I did use the THX optimiser on Monsters Inc, but it still didn't look quite right.

Do any of you notice any shimmering on your picture at all? I still notice some occasionally although it improved when I turned the contrast down. I think this is the thing that is bothering me the most and hopefully I'll get used to it. I really don't want to have to return the tv as it will probably take me another year to decide on a replacement!

Here is what mine currently looks like:

Attachments

• settings.jpg
    settings.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 219
I just got the TV delivered yesterday and my god it is one hell of a beast!! Awesome tv nonetheless!

what is THX Optimizer, and where can i get it?

Originally posted by tvhustla
what is THX Optimizer, and where can i get it?

It's a basic tool for setting up your picture and audio system.

You can get it with film's that are THX mastered.

I think I've got it as good as I can. It still doesn't seem quite right, but it is better than it was.

I still see some shimmering, although it is vastly improved. The worst culprit seems to be freeview. Does anyone else have this problem? I am wondering whether it is time to upgrade the aerial. I think I will make some enquiries in the freeview forum.

The dvd picture is not quite as good as I expected. I have a cambridge audio scart lead connecting this. Is it worth me upgrading the scart lead and can anyone make any suggestions.

Sorry for the questions, but I am not quite happy with this tv yet (unlike many others who seem to be very happy!) and if I can get rid of the shimmering I will be much happier.

Thanks again

Do you only get shimmering on freeview?

Is your cable scart to scart?

If yes, have you set your DVD player to output RGB?

Originally posted by Paul Atreides
Do you only get shimmering on freeview?

Is your cable scart to scart?

If yes, have you set your DVD player to output RGB?

The cable is scart to scart and yes the dvd player is outputting RGB.

I get shimmering to some extent from all sources, but freeview seems to the worst. I am now starting to wish I had bought a 50hz tv as the 100hz processing seems to be the cause of my dissatisfaction. The trouble is I haven't found a 50hz tv I like. Maybe I should just get a cheap 50hz 4:3 tv to keep me going until I find something I do like!

Originally posted by Paul Atreides
What's wrong with the DVD picture?

Nothing major. It's just a bit shimmery like everything else. It is just the 100hz processing, but I can't seem to get used to it.

Do you notice the 100hz processing on your tv at all?

Do you mean the feint line shimmering sometimes visible? If that's what you mean I don't notice it unless I'm close to the screen. Maybe it's worse on the FX68 due to it lacking 100Hz Digital Plus. Of course like everyone with 100Hz I do notice the motion blur and fast scrolling credits problem.

I have a Pioneer with my FX66 and it looks great.

Originally posted by lee789
Agreed - I've had mine for about 5 months now and I'm very pleased with it.
I must admit I tend to adjust the colour fairly frequently, but haven't for a while. I find different sources (i.e dvd, cable, terrestrial) can give different results which is why I change it.
Football especially causes trouble as Sky sports gives very green grass compared to bbc output. Seems bizarre, but I have to change the colour occaisionaly.
I did try the movie setting for a while for dvd's, but this is a bit washed out, blacks appear grey. Its quite a cool look though, not sure whether its accurate though
I'll have a look at what I've got tonight.

That's interesting, can you change the colour setting in RGB mode on this set?

I too have pioneer dvd and dont have a problem But someone said there was a slight compatability problem .Might just have been their set.But the 66 is not the same as the 68?

Just thought I'd update you all on my tv. I am now a lot happier with it than I was. I wouldn't say it was perfect but the shimmer is a lot less noticable. Freeview is still the worst picture, but I think that is because of the aerial (I'll probably upgrade that sometime in the future).

BTW, my dvd player is a Toshiba.

Originally posted by xyznicko
That's interesting, can you change the colour setting in RGB mode on this set?

You can on the FX66 so I would guess you can on the 68 too.

Originally posted by jaymac
someone said there was a slight compatability problem

I don't see how a video signal can be incompatible with a TV that accepts it.

Originally posted by littletreasure
Freeview is still the worst picture, but I think that is because of the aerial

Probably yes.

i have a 32FX68. its connected to sky via a quality scart on RGB.
when i go close to the tv screen, i can see the picture vibrating, especially the seach and scan banner, is this normal?
i thought a 100Hz tv would eliminate picture flicker?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom