1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KV32FX66 Saga

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by RichB14, Dec 6, 2002.

1. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Well after weeks of waiting it's finally been delivered (In the right time slot as well).
    So first things, the box appears to have been re-taped so i open it to find that the tv it's self seams new. Turn it on for the first time and the initial set-up starts which is a good sign. Then as it's running through the set-up i decide to have a look in the manual.
    This is were we start going down hill, the manual seems like it's a photo copy a bad one at that, all the diagrams are black not just slightly i mean solid black.
    Next as the set-up continues it askes me for the language so i select english then it asks me for the country but the only english speaking country in the list is Ireland, which is making start to belive that this is not a UK model.
    So finding this I check the Plug and what do i find, the plug is acctually a european 2 pin plug encased within a uk 3 pin adapter.
    Ok so maybe they are all like this I think, so on my way back to work i stop in my local currys and check out one of there KV's, check the plug standard hardwired 3 pin Uk, so then i check the set-up select english but nothing comes up after that no country selection.

In anyone's experience would you say that this is an import ?

As for picture well thats less than perfect as well lots of bleed over and lots of slant on the left side.
    Maybe i'm not looking at the set with an open mind at the moment because of everything else, plus my current cable's are crap.
    Also yes it buzzes from the back but not to badly i can only hear it with the sound turned down.

2. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just spoken to sony and they agree that the tv is an import !!!!
    I feel sorry for the person i'm about to speak to at JL !!

3. CarlosTheJackel

CarlosTheJackel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds dodgy, what is the model no. in full? is it /u
    Ring sony with the serial no, ask them where it was destined for, the plug and language this does seem odd .

5. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, sorry about the redundant post,my screen wasn't showing any replies.
    I would go ****ing mad with JL, in a rather 'controlled' manner and get somme compensation!

6. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Spoken to JL and all the girl could keep saying was "oh but we get then from a central warehouse" so somebody with a bit more grey matter is going to phone me back.
    Carlos how do you find it otherwise i know you have some problems, what inputs have you tried ?
    The picture is pretty good through sky as long as there is no text or the red active button is not displayed. I think it will require a bit more tweaking.

7. CarlosTheJackel

CarlosTheJackel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm - mine was premier AV but aslong as the TV's fine and it has a warrenty I don't care where its from. Same plug as you BTW;)

8. CarlosTheJackel

CarlosTheJackel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, havent really had a chance to test it yet - still got to assmeble the stand:eek: Its sitting on my old 28" stand at the moment. Ill set it up properly and let you know! I get the sky fine althoug I seem to get interferance on BBC24 but my SKY signal is near perfect. Could just be the footage.

9. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The main thing bothering me is the Plug and manual, as the plug is only two pin there is no earthing on the unit and the manual well it might as well be in Japanese as it's un-readable which is not helpfull

10. TommyP

TommyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *** :mad: unlucky.

I'm beginning to think that the 5yr warranty really isn't worth the hassle of buying from JL.

Borg m8, please keep the names of all the people you speak too so that when mine arrives and if it's an import, I can call the organ grinder and not the monkey straight away.

Keep us informed m8y.

11. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    No probs Tom,
    Everyone I work with has left my office as i'm spitting bricks at the mo :mad:

12. TommyP

TommyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is completly understandable.

One thing if you want the manual is to contact the Sony Service Centre at Heathrow (0208 283 2700) and ask to buy a Manual for the TV. They cost a £5 but aren't in stock but the woman at the end of the phone offered to stick a photocopy in the post and then ring me when they came in stock. Should think a copy of the original will be much better than what you have so might help in the mean time while this is sorted.

Tom

13. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mine is the same as yours not sure about the plug but do remember it being a bit dodgy looking ..........My manuals the same but like the guy earlier I got it from Premier AV on the cheap so mines more the likely an import but the set's great so i'm happy .....not what you expect from JL tho' oh yeah if you have not set the stand up beware of the trims on the front it tok me nearly 2hrs to get them straight!!;)

14. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just spoken to Trading Standards and the plug is completly legal and safe as it's properly converted, but the manual is not ok as it makes the product unfit for sale because you can't set it up.
    So i will calling JL again as they haven't phoned me back yet.

Tom, Cheers I will see what JL have to say first though.

Ryanos, My stand is going straight in the loft mate as we have a Huge pine Cabinet to put it on.

15. CarlosTheJackel

CarlosTheJackel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi TheBorg. I have checked the sockets and it all appears to be OK. The buzzing is now annoying me a bit more
    :rolleyes: I have checked my old KV28WS2U and there is not a sound while running. In comparason I can hear the FX66 over low-mid volume.

16. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Ok, just spoken to JL they phoned just as I was about call them, they took all the details about what i was unhappy about and they are going to look into getting a UK model. So it would seem all is not lost yet.

17. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    sorry to hijack your thread The borg. but what are the pro's and con's of having an import?

18. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    To be Honest I don't know apart from what i've said previously it just bugs me that not once did JL say that it would be. If they had I would still have got it probably.

19. CarlosTheJackel

CarlosTheJackel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean, when I saw the manual and plug I thought what the fudge! But after some of the probs other people have with Scrolling bars and the such on various TV's if mine give a good pic im happy;)

20. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The guy from JL just called again they are ordering me a new one but he's not sure when it will come but i'm keeping the euro one till they get it so it looks like i might be ok after all :)

21. TommyP

TommyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phew - lets just hope they deliver the correct one when mine comes in.

Fingers crossed.

btw put a mark on the base of the TV somewhere as It'll be funny if the one they give me is the same as the one you got :p

22. G.M

G.M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've always been curious to find out what retailers/manufacturers
    do with returned electrical equipment?
    Do they repackage it and sell it to someone else,strip the unit for parts,sell it as ex display,anyone got any ideas?
    regards,
    G.M.
    P.S. I've got an fx66 ordered as well.

23. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Well,
    After drilling hole's in my pine cabinet for all the new cable's that will soon be around, and then rearranging Sky,vcr and denon system and calling on next door for a lift (Damn that tv's heavy).
    First impressions have faded from this afternoon gladly, seconds are much better.
    After connecting everything properly and buying a cambridge rgb scart from richer's the picture quality is so much better no colour smearing at all. The only slight fault that still remains is the slight downwards tilt in the two top corners, i think i only saw them because i was looking out for them as everyone else that has seen it couldn't.
    Running the ps2 through the composite ports in the side of the box, its a revalation compared to my old TV, it give games a new lease of life.
    If only my DVD player wasn't all wrapped up, can't wait so see it !!!!
    :D

24. CarlosTheJackel

CarlosTheJackel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL I made my stand up last thing yesterday and though I would try to put the TV on it myself:eek: Not lilkey, all I can say is im glad my floor is concrete!

25. TommyP

TommyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Monday 16th my (hopefully) little bundle of joy should arrive :D

T Minus 9 days and counting.

The woman i spoke too was quite shocked at the amount of money i had knocked off, it was funny.

Sony KV32FX66 + Sony NS405 = £983 (inc Delivery) ;)

26. goa

goa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TommyP
    Aren't we the lucky ones :D . My Sony 28fx66 and Sony NS705 from JL cost me a grand total of £863 (£784 for tv and £79 for dvd player). The NS405 was on offer for £19 but I decided to go for the 705 instead - Just hope I made the right choice. All in all, three cheers for JL (no, I don't work for them, but when you look at the overall package offered through their pricematch, you must agree that it is extremely good value for money):D Just waiting now for the free dvd leaflet (JL has run out) so that I can claim the free dvds I'm entitled to before the promotion runs out.

TheBorg,
    I'm shocked that you got a foreign tv with photocopied manuals. Everything was ok with mine bar the missing assembly parts on the stand - It took JL a while to respond to my email and phone calls but they now have the missing parts on order for me.

On to this buzzing I keep reading about, I've stuck my ear behind my set with sound muted but can only hear the very low huming of the working parts inside. Just hope that tv doesn't decide to join the buzzing brigade at some stage in the future :mad: . I guess the 5yrs warranty would come in handy then. :)

Connections with £20 scart leads from Argos, noticeable effect on sound but not on picture quality. Overall impressions of tv are very good, picture quality great and tv size just perfect for the space available.

Goa:p

27. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Ho Ho Ho here's the season of good will to all men, except me it would appear.
    Went to JL yesterday to collect my DVD player for a bargin 19 quid only for the floor manager to claim that the sony offer is incorrect and that you have to buy a Dvd and Vcr, to which i replied Bull**** mate, So he decided to let me have it. That was untill he noticed how cheap i got the Tv for and then changed his tune and said that i couldn't have the tv and dvd at discount and blantantly refused to sanction the sale.
    So trying to to keep my calm and not be arrested for gbh i walked away and have promptly reported the son of a *. Now just got to wait for the report back from management of what they're going to do.
    Merry Christmas :mad:

28. TommyP

TommyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aye, the woman seemed quite surprised that they would honour both offers but I couldn't see any small print saying that the offer was only on full price TVs. I'd say that they'll most likely try and make an excuse but fingers crossed you'll talk to someone sensible.

Luckily (or unluckily if your my bank) JL took their money now so they can't go back on the deal. :D

7 Days and counting

29. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +509
    Hi,

I got mine from webelectricals and its a UK Spec but i did get a photocopy Manual which for a TV for the price you expect a quality one or maybe these days we expect to much!!

The cabinet was a B*tch to put together aswell, luckily it seems i got a good one and i feel sorry for the peeps who have to get replacements etc etc.

Have anyone got a proper manual???

And who else has a UK spec TV with the correct 3 pin plug!!

I just cant believe how a company like SONY let TV's of this price and quality leave the workshop with faults!!

I think its disgusting!!!!

Just my view on the whole thing"!!" :eek:

Dal

30. alle v

alle v
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...Mine was from the SONY centre and all was present and correct :)