1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KV32FX66 and PS2 S-Video problem

Discussion in 'TVs' started by joki, Feb 25, 2003.

1. joki

joki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I connect a PS2 S-Video cable to my new Sony KV32FX66 I get a terrible picture, with a lot of noise, bleeding, ghosting etc.; it looks like a realy bad composite picture. I tried both the back AV3 scart input (which according to the manual suports s-video) and front s-video pin, both give the same results.

When I try a different s-video source (a notebook with s-video tv out) the picture is OK (the TV also indicates that it is receiving a s-video signal, a little "s" appears in the av input square). I used the same PS2 s-video cable on my old tv without any problems.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
    Joki

2. NicktheNorse

NicktheNorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i had the same problem with my 32fx66 - the s-video picture looked horrible - just used composite and although the picture came out, it did look a bit washed out (but then again im used to playing it on a 14" tv.

3. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Does the S-video output output PAL? May sound a stupid question but I know for a fact that this tv (uk version) doesn't automatically recognise NTSC s-video signals (without some tweaking in the Service menu).

The only other thing I could think of (and I don't want to sound patronising) but do you not have to set the output of the PS2 to s-video?

4. MattDX

MattDX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking at hooking up my NTSC cube using S-Video. How do I make it work?

5. joki

joki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, there's no setting for s-video output on PS2, you can only set either RGB or component.

I'm not sure about NTSC s-video, it's a PAL PS2 and a PAL TV, so I guess it should output PAL s-video signal, right?

6. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Do a search in the forum, there's a setting in the service menu that allows the telly to automatically recognise NTSC S-video.

See this thread

THREAD

7. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Are we talking games or dvd's where you're having the problem?

I just read this

"After the European debut of the PlayStation 2, gamers have been frantically putting the new console through its paces, and are beginning to uncover potential problems. First, the Ps2 requires multiple connections to a TV if users want to play games and watch DVDs. The console supports RGB SCART cables - used by the original PlayStation, and almost all TV, video and DVD kit shipped into Europe - for games playback, but not for DVD. Instead, the manual admits, users will have to use a second cable, either an aerial cable, S Video line or AV cable. As Chris Hardy puts it: "So I get a bloody expensive DVD player which won't output RGB even though the Japanese Ps2 will happily do so. And now I have to damage my expensive TV by unplugging and plugging in EuroAV and AV cables!"

8. joki

joki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both, games and dvds. I'm still not certain about the NTSC setting on the tv, again in my understanding the PS2 should output PAL signal when playing a PAL game or Region2 DVD. I don't want to tinker with the service menu, unless it's absolutely necessary.

9. joki

joki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else, please? :confused:

This one really bugs me, the composite picture is just horrible compared to s-video...

10. joki

joki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just found out that when I use my notebook as an s-video source, the tv-out on the notebook's graphic card is set to NTSC (and can not be changed to PAL), so the KV32FX66 is actually receiving an NTSC s-video signal from the notebook, where everything works OK.

When I use a PAL PS2, the output signal is PAL s-video and I get a terrible picture. Is it possible that the KV32FX66 does not handle PAL s-video correctly? Can this be set/checked anywhere in the service menu?

11. milgo

milgo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I now realised that what I have to do is 1st select the AV Game input and then reset the PS2, hey presto s-video input from the front s-video socket, great picture & colours in 32" widescreen.

12. joki

joki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Milgo, thanks for the tip. I tried that, but I still get that horrible picture, the TV does not detect an s-video signal. It looks like this is really a PS2 problem and that the KV32FX66 is just very picky about the s-video signal.