1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KV32FX66 and it open stand with the black strap

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Rookies, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Ok Folks

I have got this set today as you will of notice in other thread, I forgot to say how the hell can i put that black strap on at the back of the tv to the open stand with out it blocking the damn scart socket

2. Mark Spanner

Mark Spanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I too got mine yesterday & have the same prob!! :)

I think Sony thinks we all use RF still :D

3. Mr Chuffy

Mr Chuffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Took delivery of mine last night and managed to sort it. What stand do you have? I have the open stand and there are two hoes for the strap holder to go in. I have it so that the strap comes down between the scart sockets. It was fairly straight-forward.

4. Gwyn

Gwyn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ditto for my set ;)

The thing is, the stand comes with two different strap mounting points which the instructions seem to indicate are for different sets. So I figured that Sony had actually thought about this, in order to allow the black strap to bypass the scart inputs at the right angle. Apparently, they didn't think about it very well :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't really see the point of the strap at all, and I'm just not using it. My set is certainly not going to budged very easily :p

EDIT: (cross posted with Mr Chuffy)
    Yes, mine's an open stand too, but the correct angle still seemed to get a bit in the way of the scart socket. - I didn't want the taught strap to push against a scart.

What's the strap for anyway :confused:

5. Mark Spanner

Mark Spanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I don't think I'm going to bother either!

Sony probably only have to put it on to cover them if the set topples.
    I'm not sure that small strap & tiny screw are going to hold that beast of a tube! :D

6. pop-blue

pop-blue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trust me you want the strap on there. I've seen one fall and if there's kids about then they may be the one underneath. If you've got the open stand then screw it into the wooden back strut. Does the job and will give you some protection.. If the tv falls and it's not strapped will sony pay to have it repaired.

7. Gwyn

Gwyn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eh? How did it fall pop-blue?
    I don't see what the strap can do. The set is already seated in place by the two round discs on the front of the stand. I don't see how it could come off the stand except with a really big knock, in which case, the whole stand is likely to topple over :eek:

I doubt Sony would be liable for anything anyway, strap or no strap. They're only going to fix something that goes wrong with the TV, not accidental damage.

8. MadAxeMan

MadAxeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a very front heavy set - I know I've carried it up the cliff like front garden to our house.

If you have kids I'd strongly suggest using the tie.

I had the same problem and fixed it by screwing the strap into the wood under the TV platform (at the back) just a bit to the right of the original.

I have now seen a second model that has the tie in a different place, but still not line up so you can use the scarts.

Either way, better safe than sorry. Apparently these things weigh 13 stone. That's a lot of weight to take a chance with.

9. pop-blue

pop-blue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Madaxeman has summed it up. As all the weight is at the front, if a kiddie starts to rock it there's a chance that the weight will send it over. I install these every day and i will not leave unless it's strapped. Peace of mind if you like.
    In my early days of installing i was tuning in will my work mate was trying to get to the back of the tv to strap it. He leant to hard and the tv went straight over. The rest you can probably figure out yourself...

10. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Even if it was strap I recken the whole stand would go over too??

11. MadAxeMan

MadAxeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anchoring it to the stand should shift the center of gravity and axis of rotation enuff to make it much harder to tip.