1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KV32FX66 16:9 image problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Gwyn, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Gwyn

Gwyn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been playing around with screen formats on my Sony KV32FX66, specifically on DVDs. With anamorphic DVDs, the TV automatically correctly switches to "Wide" mode so that 16:9 movies fill the screen properly and 2.35:1 movies fill the width correctly (I'm losing just a touch of image off the left, so need to change the horizontal position and/or size in the service menus).

However, I get a problem with either a non-anamorphic 16:9 DVD or a show broadcast in 16:9. I zoom the image to fill the screen (as I don't like the distorted look of the "Smart" mode), but in 14:9 mode the remaining black areas are thinner at the top & bottom than at the sides. This suggests a narrower apsect ratio than my 16:9 screen

When I then go to 16:9 mode, it zooms too far, so that I lose a small part of the image on all 4 sides. However, because the shape doesn't seem to be the same ratio as the screen, I lose more off the top & bottom than I do on the sides.

I don't get this, especially since the widescreen mode many DVDs come in as actually 1.85:1 which is slightly wider than 16:9 (1.78:1), so when in 14:9 mode, the black lines left on the sides should be narrower than on the top and bottom with a 1.85:1 image.

Is my set processing 16:9 images wrong? Can I change how much the 16:9 mode zooms in (or the shape of the zoom) so that I don't lose any of a 16:9 image?

2. Yugo1

Yugo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you going into the service menu? If so can you tell me how you do it.

Cheers

3. Gwyn

Gwyn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope - I'm just talking about changing the screen mode.

I need to try out the service menu sometime, as pictures seem to be overscanning very slightly on the left, plus I have a bit of bottom pincushion distortion to rectify. But I've yet to try anything.

Have a search round these threads - there are plenty of references to how you get into the Sony service menu (be careful what you do there and make a note of all the default settings you change).

4. Yugo1

Yugo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have looked and can't find anything for the FX66. If you come across it please advise.

Cheers

5. Gwyn

Gwyn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I'll do the work for you ;)

Try this sequence:
    1) Switch off the TV to standby mode
    2) Press the (i) button
    3) Press the 5 button
    4) Press the Vol+ button
    5) Press the "TV" button (i.e. the one used to cancel teletext)

The TV should turn on and you'll see TT-- on the screen (if not, switch to standby and try again - you have to do the sequence quite quickly).

6) Press the Menu button to access the service menu

More info available here (although it's for an older model):

http://www.kv32tweak.freeuk.com/

6. Yugo1

Yugo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will try. Thank you very much now go fetch my pipe and slippers:D

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gwyn,

A few points of interest for you ... :)

Aspect ratios are only approximate.

You also get some overscan on your TV (everyone does on CRTs, it's normal), which accounts for bits missing on the side. It's nothing to worry about.

Finally, there also has to be some compromise between NTSC and PAL geometry.

I think a combination of the above will probably account for what you are noticing.

With regards to the image being off centre, are you using RGB? If so, a horizontal shift in the picture is normal and is referred to as "RGB shift". Some Sony models have an option to correct for this in the regular menu (not service menu). If you have this option, you should use that rather than the service menu.

8. Gwyn

Gwyn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply SG,
    I'm using S-video for DVD and regular scart for TV pictures (no RGB output on my Pace NTL decoder).

However, I don't think the issue is overscan. I can tell how much of that there is by testing what amount of an anamorphic 16:9 image gets lost (and it's only a small amount).

What I'm talking about is a 16:9 image from regular broadcasts or non-anamorphic DVDs (or VHS). I have to zoom in to get the 16:9 image to fill the screen, but the TV's "16:9 Zoom mode" seems to zoom too far and I'm losing more of the image than I would expect. Meanwhile, 14:9 zoom mode leaves black lines on all sides.

Is my TV's 16:9 mode zooming too much? Is it possible to alter how much it zooms?

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it's still called overscan. Doesn't matter that it differs on each mode.

There are often different geometry settings for each mode, so yes. You should be able to adjust it in the service menu by re-sizing the zoomed image. But be careful you don't alter the aspect ratio (keep horizontal and vertical axis adjustments in the same proportion).

10. Gwyn

Gwyn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks for the reply. I will take a look - I've yet to pluck up the courage to alter the Service Menu :eek: