1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KV32FQ75 or DX100??

Discussion in 'TVs' started by rogue, May 5, 2002.

1. rogue

rogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was really keen on the Sony KV32FQ75 before joining these forums. But after seeing the slating people like Fwan have given this model I cant bring myself to part with my hard earned.

What I really need to know is does the identical looking 32DX100 have the same quality problems and the scrolling bars issue? I really need reassurance that the DX100 is a top class telly before busting out £1400 for one from Johny L.

Also what's the 100hz like on these sets? 100hz looks awfull on the Phillips and Tosh sets ive seen and having a tv with a 'clean'
    picture is important too me. I checked out the Phillips pixel plus at Hi Spek today and the first thing the salesman said

"Its rubbish, go for the Sony!"

Any advice would be appreciated...

2. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had 2 sony FX65 models and 1 FQ model. They were all crap. All had scrolling bars, green patches in certain corners. The FQ had both the above plus blurred teletext and the picture used to flicker like it was trying to reduce in width. My mate had 1 FQ with the same problems. Now he has a rear projection sony and it too has scrolling bars. My sony video player is also making scrolling bars on my tosh tv and the panny downstairs. I would never buy another sony again. They are also crap in there after sales service. Go for anything but sony:mad:

3. rogue

rogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, I was planning on getting the tv from John Lewis thus bypassing the whole 'Sonys customer service is crap'
    thing.

I may still go for the 32DX100, as every manufacturer seems to get a pasting on these boards and I have to go for one of them afterall. Any 'DX' or 'NX' owners out there to put my mind at rest?

Im assuming these new generation sets have the faults ironed out. But you know what they say about assumption being the mother of all !%$!! :eek:

One things for sure i'm stayin well clear of the FQ's....

4. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rogue

I think Shaunthedude said it all.

Sony's reputation for quality and reliabilty has long gone. Have your read the recent posts in my thread . One from Kell and the other on brand reliability. I was speaking to a sales guy in the tv dept of large department store and he agreed that Sony tvs are not reliable as they once used to be. Apparently some just died after 4/5 years !

Now what you are paying for a Sony tv is a premium price for a below average reliability sets. For me, the whole saga is just a nightmares plus so much time & £££ spent on get the message to Sony. When things go wrong Sony just don't give a damn about customer loyalty or customer service. Goodwill - they don't even know that word.

I wish I knew all these before spending my hard earned £££ on a faulty set.

You have been warned !!!

fwan

Ps I had a look at the Philips Pixel Plus (side by side to Sony) and it was quite impressive. Just as good as Sony. BTW have visited the site www.unrepeatable.co.uk - an auction site for repaired, reconditioned or returned set. Last week Sony tvs were flooding the list ! Does this not say something ?

5. rogue

rogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the advice Fwan,

I had a look on unrepeatable.co.uk and I couldnt believe how many unloved FQ75's were knocking about. Theres no way im going to buy one now, even though every salesman ive talked to swears blind they havent had any returns over scrolling bars or picture issues.

What they all do say quite interestingly, is that theyve had returns due to 'connection problems' mainly with the rear scarts being a bit ropey.

Still, everywidescreen tv on these forums seems to have it's fair share of flaws, this months what video and tv mag rated the DX100's picture above the pixel Phillips, as it didnt have the 100hz nasties like the others.

Unless someone can reccommend a quality alternative I may just plump for the 32DX100, as no-one on these forums has criticised
    it (yet!):confused:

At least if I buy from John Lewis I can return it if it gives me grief. :rolleyes:

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The DX100 is supposed to be a lot better than the FQ75

My DX20 has been very good

7. Klingon

Klingon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at getting the FQ75 until I read the endless threads warning me against it. I thank everyone for that including FWAN who should endeavour to keep up the fight.

However, I also stumbled across the NX100 going at £1472 at QED (soon after I placed my order they took it off the web site). Thought, I could not miss out on the opportunity to give it a try at that price (fair play to them for sticking to their price). Well, I can honestly say that it is an excellent TV. Luckily the picture did not have any signs of vertical lines etc. and I would certainly recommend this TV although I would never had paid the price that other web sites and dealers were selling it at (John Lewis £2300 for instance).

Apparently, the DX100 is very similar to the NX100 in specification and is at a much cheaper price.

Recommend it.:)

8. pi3141

pi3141

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sony DX HAS the scrolling bars - be warned.

9. rogue

rogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pi3141 your DX100 has the scrolling bars too?

Noooo!! theres my peace of mind gone!

This set to me seems the only viable option. Ive looked at the latest sets from Tosh, Panasonic and Phillips and the picture quality on all of them looks way to artificial and processed. Even with the digital trickery turned down to minimal levels. Whats the point of a big flat screen if it looks pants?

The Sony on the other hand, looks stunning, none of the sets ive scrutinised have any vertical bars although I dont doubt that it is a flaw that effects a great many unfortunate and now angry people. I encourage Fwan and the others to keep at Sony until there is a fix.

Ive managed to get John Lewis to do a £1399 price match on this tv plus the 5 year guarantee! If im not satisfied with it i'll keep it for a few months then swap it for something newer, but I doubt that will be the case. Just did a search and found a DX100 thread, seems like theres some happy owners out there who insist the DX is problem free unlike their dodgy FQ75 sets.

I'll buy the set in a week or two and give you guys an uncompromising review!

10. ricke

ricke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi rogue, any news on your DX100 ?? I'm hoping to buy one soon too

11. Andrew E

Andrew E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never used one of these forums before - but I'm relieved I found this one! It looks like the Sony DX100 is a good choice at the £1,400 price point. From the content of the thread so far - am I right in thinking that some sets may have problems with some sort of vertical line appearing? Is this obvious from day one or do they appear over time? Scouring the web I've got a quote of £1,399 + £55 delivery (from Scotland to London) with 1/3 deposit and balance in 6 months. So far I haven't checked the guarantee - what is standard 1or 3 years?

12. rogue

rogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Just got my DX100 yesterday morning and its superb! refer to my review on the new thread for details.

13. Sarge

Sarge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5