Kv32dx40

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by HOWIE, Feb 15, 2002.

1. HOWIE

HOWIE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a KV32DX40 from sony, the all round picture quality when hooked up tp Sky digital is poor. Also when I change channels the Sky information box has a pronounced arc effect. has anybody else had a problem with this set.

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Compare BBC1 Satellite to BBC 1 digital

Does this answer anything?

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you tried changing your video output to RGB on sky...
    I've got a kv28dx30 and find the sky picture superb, but i suffer from terrible picture break up on itv digi, had new ariel installed but tv still displays poor signal quality now and then.
    This is my 2nd model (and waiting for repair) does anyone else suffer from this....maybe I'm unlucky or sony quality has dropped.

hi to everyone, new to the forum

jimbob g.

4. Banjaxe

Banjaxe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Howie,

The arc effect is down to the tube setup and can only be corrected by an engineer opening up the set and rotating some circular magnets on the neck of the tube. The setting of these magnets is usually a compromise - for example if you adjust the magnets to optimize the convergence you can then end up with purity (colour staining problems). I really wouldn't recommend mucking around with these.

I've also got a DX40 and Sky+ and also get a very minor "frowning" effect with the banners on Sky. The rest of the tube setup - convergence, focus and purity - is very good so I've decided to live with the slight curvature. I've seen much worse in the shops (on all brands not just Sony) so I was concerned that any replacement wouldn't necessarily be better.

Apart from that one problem, the picture using RGB on Sky+ is excellent. I use the "Personal" picture mode and have adjusted the brightness and contrast to suit the output from the Sky+ box and DVD (which is also using RGB and looped through the VCR SCART connector on the Sky+ box). Only SCART 1 on the DX40 supports RGB and you can verify that it's receiving an RGB signal by "..." appearing in the middle of the onscreen graphic when you select that input.

If you don't use the RGB input you'll probably find that the default sharpness settings are way too high and unless you use "Movie" mode the TV uses something called scan velocity modulation (VSM) in an attempt to sharpen the picture up even more and that can cause it to look really artificial.

Ronnie