KV28FX65U - return it?? 100Hz/50Hz?

B

bugfinder

I posted a couple of weeks ago that I had a minor niggle with my Sony KV28FX65u.
When the picture is light there is a an oval shaped ring of discoloration on the screen - most noticeable as a blueish tinge on the left and a greenish tinge on the right, bending round in the corners.
The main reason I spent the extra cash on a 100Hz Sony was for excellent DVD playback, and while some discs look great (darker movies), other lighter films are marred by this fault. (Not so minor any more!)

Having followed the forum for a few weeks it seems a little unreasonable to expect perfection in a CRT these days - a slightly depressing state of affairs! Still, I am not 100% happy with this set and I'm considering returning it.

The dilemma - after testing a couple of sets in my local Sony Centre, I suspect this to be a general fault on this model (though the manager couldn't see it!), therefore I'm not confident about exchanging it for another.
I'm set on a 28" model due to the size of my living room, so with the KV28FX65u out of the picture, can anyone recommend another set around the same budget???

And is 100Hz processing really essential in a 28" - or does it create more problems than it solves??? I don't watch much TV, so the set is really only a monitor for DVD playback (sound comes through the HiFi) - so picture, not sound, is the key.

HELP!!!

I have not seen this problem occur before on these sets - Mabye it is a batch problem?

Out of interest, which SONY centre was it?

I have noticed on certain channels that the 100Hz makes the picture worse, but this can be eliminated by adjusting the picture modes.

The Sony centre was in High Wycombe, but the set was bought from HiFi Bitz (excellent online retailer).

It is possible that you may not have picked up on the fault if the TV reception wasn't great or the DVD picture was dark/with lots of activity. As I say, it is only really noticeable when the picture is light - more so if the camera is panning too. To test in the centre I used the Matrix where Neo and Morpheus are in the 'construct' - background is completely white.

I have tried adjusting the contrast and picture settings and this improved things a little, but it is still there.

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but it's like watching a screen that's in good need of a wipe...:confused:

Hi Bugfinder,

I think your TV set has a mask default.

Unfortunatly , it seems this is quite frequent with the FX65 model (I saw lots of posts relating the same problem on several French forums and concerning the 32'').

The only solution is to change the tube (or the TV set).

This problem is present in lots of TV with 16/9 flat screens and not only in Sony (Sharp, Philips ...).

WHen buying this kind of TV, it's a little like the lotery : you can have a perfect one or not.

Sorry for you.

Merci pour le "response" DPJT!!
(My French is terrible!)

That's the best explanation I've had for this problem and I agree - it is definitely a lottery!

I suppose the best thing to do would be to try and get a replacement but test it with the retailer first...
... or live with it... aaaarrrrggghhh!

Hello Bugfinder,
I bought my Sony KV28FX65U last August and I have not experience this type of problem you described. I use my TV for both DVDs and normal TV viewing.

The only incident that I have expericenced lately is a slight discolouring in the bottom left of the screen, which I believe is down to magnetic fielding.

I personally prefer the 100hz because of the flickering which drives me mad looking at 50hz of this size.
I guess it is all down to choice and what you are prepare to put up with.

The discolouration (purity) problem is possibly caused by the tubes internal shadow mask as already suggested. Any problems in manufacture or set up should cause the tube or set to be rejected if the picture cannot be set up to within tolerance. Once the set has left the factory, this problem is most likely caused by a physical shock to the tube by the set being really badly knocked or dropped.
I would expect either damage to the packaging and / or the sets outer case to be evident.

Sony tubes don't have shadow masks, they have aperture grilles - a slot rather than a hole. It's better technology and gives sharper pictures. But it sounds to me that you're just looking at the brightness hotspot in the centre of the screen.

Don't send your TV back, the FX is a good set. I thought about getting one myself but was put off by the long-winded way of changing the aspect ratios.

Things could be a lot worse, the Sony has perfect geometry and there isn't much else out there at that price. I favour Phillips myself for their beautiful design and feature loading, but their 'Real Flat' screens are Real Junk.

On the related note of 100Hz versus 50Hz, this is classic saloon bar punch-up material. Consider this; no-one ever complained about 'screen flicker' before 100Hz sets came along, did they?

Well I have done some deguassing on my set and I notice the discolouring has faded some what. I plan to do it a longer period later on.
I am not planning to change my TV because at the moment I am happy with its performance so far.

You wrote:
On the related note of 100Hz versus 50Hz, this is classic saloon bar punch-up material. Consider this; no-one ever complained about 'screen flicker' before 100Hz sets came along, did they?

Well I would say that is because there was no other technology invented until lately to measure against. :)

Thanks for the advice guys - much appreciated!

As for degaussing - I did this once and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. Is doing this over and over going to improve things??

I'll certainly give it a go, so what's the best way to go about it? The last time I disconnected from the mains, left the set for about half an hour and then powered up - after reading that this was generally the way to do it on most sets. Is this the case on the FX or is there another way?

As a little aside - this is disappointing from Sony. I went over budget and paid the Sony premium so I wouldn't get this kind of problem. In my experience Sony have always made excellent sets.
At the same time it seems most 16:9 flatscreen TVs have some kind of defect. Am I expecting too much??? How much do you have to spend to get it right!??

OK, enough griping...back to the thread! 100hz v 50hz - avoiding fistycuffs, it seems the 50Hz effect becomes more noticeable the larger the screen... but where do you draw the line? Is 28" big enough to notice? Side by side it's noticeable, especially when there is text on the screen, otherwise...
Just personal preference I guess.

Keep the knowledge, thoughts, ideas coming!

Well I degaussed mine a few times as well as over night. Also I pull the plug from the mains.

You wrote:
OK, enough griping...back to the thread! 100hz v 50hz - avoiding fistycuffs, it seems the 50Hz effect becomes more noticeable the larger the screen... but where do you draw the line? Is 28" big enough to notice? Side by side it's noticeable, especially when there is text on the screen, otherwise...

I think the bigger the CRT TV the more you notice the flicker. It is all down to personal choice in the end.

Degaussing is efficient only for magnetic problems and, in this case, there are (very) green and (very) red rings on the screen (not blue or pink for a problem of mask).
This is generally due to HP near the TV set.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom