1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KV-S2922U - Calling all SONY engineers!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by charker, Dec 15, 2003.

1. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have a 29" 4:3 Sony Super Trinitron bought about 7-8 years ago. It was a pretty expensive purchase at the time (£1200) so it is a good model (KV-S2922U).

Just recently it started to just shut down after making a load buzz (a bit like the degauss noise) and refuses to come back on.

The first time going into engineering mode and turning off fixed it. The next time just turning on and off a few times sorted it. This time no luck.

I turn it on and the LED's flash, one then the other. Seems like the right one flashes 3-4 times and then the left one once. It then just repeats.

Any ideas? Is it terminal?

thanks

Cliff

2. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The LED flashing is an error code, from memory if its a 4 flash sequence the fault is in the colour decoder. However Sony sets of this vintage often suffer from deteriorating soldering which can cause all sorts of wierd and wonderful faults. The noise you hear could well be the power supply groaning before it shuts down.
    Its basically a good quality set and IMHO worth fixing. Use a genuine Sony service agent.

3. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks, I suspect the Power Supply. Sony agent coming tomorrow to take a look and take it away. Two of them coming as it weighs a ton!

CHarker

4. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Yep had similar probs with tellys of this vintage, usually dry solder joints or the like.

cosaw

5. twarde

twarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I Had a similar problem. The cure was to resolder TDA8179 Integrated Circuit which looks like a big power transistor with a heatsink. It was on the bottom PCB but next to the PCB with the scart sockets on it.

See the link below for stock Sony faults.

http://www.hamradio-badarc.co.uk/television/tvs/sonyae2.htm