1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KV-32FQ86 Rear Scart Problem / Interference

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Movisman, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Movisman

Movisman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi all,

I have had the KV-32FQ86 for a number of weeks now (with newest v11.48 software) and I have to say i'm really pleased with the set overall - nice vibrant colours, fairly good geometry, etc..

Except one irritating problem...

When you are using the rear SCART inputs (there are 3 in total, 2 RGB and 1 Composite) - you can see on the screen some kind of interference or something, consisting of two vertical lines around an inch and a half thick, and some faint kind of 'fuzz' type pattern moving down the screen.

This problem really isn't noticeable (the lines and fuzz are extremely faint in everyday use) until you watch in the dark, you must be watching either a dark or murky scene to appreciate the problem. Then the lines become a little irritating at times (one seems more prominent than the other).

For any owners of this set I have found that tuning to a blank freeview channel so the screen is black, but there is an input still going to the TV), and then turning up the brightness to around 70 shows the problem fairly drastically, either in bright or dark lighting conditions. There are other ways of testing the input of course, but generally turning up the brightness on a black or dark scene really shows up the problem.

Also, in RGB mode the fuzz moves downwards, but if you switch to Composite mode the fuzz type pattern does not move.

I'm really not sure what to do about this problem, its confused me totally!

I shouldn't think the SCART cables are the problem, as I forked out for an entire set of THOR interconnects for each component.

I have also tried unplugging everything and putting components back in one at a time, but to no avail - the two lines and fuzz are still there when using the rear SCART's.

Just for reference if I use the S-VIDEO or Y/C outputs on the 'front' of the set the lines and interference do not exist (it seems, my XBOX is running through S-VIDEO on the front and it looks great), so it leads me to believe there is a problem isolated to the rear SCART sockets somewhere.

Can anyone help me with this one?

I'd really appreciate some suggestions or feedback - before I attempt to take it to a Service Agent (i'm on the 3rd floor of the house, its a heavy set to take back downstairs - plus I don't fancy paying Sony £37.60 to come and collect the thing :eek: )

Many thanks in advance,
    Morgan

2. hi_robb

hi_robb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi m8,

Sounds like you have the infamous sony scart scrolling bands problem. I might be wrong though. I sent 3 sony tv's back (including a dx200) for this problem. It only happened on RGB Scart. Basically it's 2 black bands moving either up and down or across the screen.

I say the DX200 had it bit this isn't entirely true, it had the problem on Svideo and not RGB.

It looks like you're going to have to send it back to Sony.

Dave

Ps: Just had a thought, if the bands are veritcal and don't move and are very near the edges of the screen either side, this will be the retention (I think they r called that) lines which you'll see on all Sony Triniton Screens. These are normal, but should be about the thickness of a single peice of wire.

Any bigger, moving or not near the left / right edges of the screen and it's not the retention lines.

3. Movisman

Movisman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi there,

Thanks for the response.

Its not the retention lines, I can see those just about, but they are no problem...

The two vertical bars do not move, they are stationary, and they only appear when using the rear scart sockets - one is about two inches from the left of the screen and is a vertical bar running from top to bottom about an inch and a half wide, the other is over to the right, and again runs from the top to bottom. There is also a kind of fuzz over the screen but you can't really see this.

All of this is hardly noticeable, but its there - and when you've seen it once you keep seeing it over, and over again.

Could it be to do with the earthing of the rear scart sockets, or some static (or something?!) built up inside the sockets perhaps? Or maybe the power supply has an issue, or interference from something inside the room or house?

I honestly can say i'm not technically minded when it comes to televisions, so i'm a little stumped as to what to try next.

All I know is that it happens with the rear sockets only, not the front ones, and my scart cables are of good quality, so i'm pretty sure its not a case of crap cables :p

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Morgan

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Difficult to assess at a distance. Sounds to me as though you may be suffering from 'crosstalk' - this is a 'fault' whereby one particular signal (the wanted signal) is being interferred with by another (unwanted) signal. This can happen when the two individual signal paths lie physically close to one another. I'm wondering if the wanted signal is the output of your freeview box and the unwanted signal is the analogue signal of the station to which to tv is tuned to (even though you are not watching it). it's quite normal on a tv for the composite output signal of the analogue tuner in the tv to be present on the scart plugs on the rear of the tv - it can then pass down the scart lead to another device - of course, also in the lead will be the signal from your freeview receiver going the other way to the tv - they are in close proximity in the cable. You say you have good quality scart leads - would it be possible to borrow some others from a friend ? swap leads around? another thing to try is: view a blank channel from your Freeview box and then try changing the analogue channel that the tv is tuned to (you may have to go to normal analogue viewing whilst you change channels - tv's vary about whether you can change analogue channels whilst viewing a scart input) Does the nature of the interference change - this will give you a significant clue as to whether it is the analogue signal interfering or not - it may vary from analogue station to station (try going form bbc1 to itv to ch4) keep us informed, regards, yt.

5. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This problem is with Sony's technical dept. for investigation as they have had multiple reports.
    It doesn't appear to be a simple problem because the condition is picture content dependent. It isn't anything to do with crosstalk of external equipment. I find it a particularly odd fault in that it dissappears and reappears in a very random way. I suspect that it might be generated in the picture enhancement circuits.
    If I hear anything further I'll report, if anyone has their set 'fixed' or even looked at please post a report.

6. Movisman

Movisman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi there,

Thanks for the response - bit of a shame its not a simple fix, but glad I am not the only one with this problem...! Its not a major issue, but an irritating one never the less.

As HowieC said, if anyone has had a fix applied or has had their set looked at, please by all means - post away with the results!

HowieC, hope you end up getting some info on a possible fix! :)

Thanks
    Morgan

7. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    just a quick question in relation to rgb on this set. i have my set a few months now and am happy enough but last night i was playing around with sky switching between rgb and pal output on the box... amazingly the pal output of the sky box looked more vibrant than when i switch to rgb. when i switch to rgb the picture almost looks slightly dull in comparison... has anyone else experienced this?

i would have thought rgb would win hands down over rgb so its a little confusing...

thanks,
    mick

8. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just a quick update on the RGB interference issue.
    It would seem that the problem arises because in RGB mode the noise reduction circuitry is turned off. You can see the effect for yourself if you turn the NR off when not in RGB, whereas adjusting it in RGB has no effect.
    My guess is that it's a software issue and hopefully there will be an update available eventually.

It would also be very useful if you could post if your fq86 has software newer than v11.48.

9. jontherevelator

jontherevelator
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi movisman i need some help as i have a very similar problem as you had can you PLEASE pm me regarding this

thanks mate

10. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,954
    You're posting to a 6 yr old thread.