KV-32FQ86 edge enhanced and horrible

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Michael Lindsay, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Michael Lindsay

Michael Lindsay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks in advance for any advice or experience.

I have just bought 2 Sony KV-32FQ86 CRT TVs and am horrified by the picture... It is:

Edge enhanced in a really horrible way. Both LF and HF picture components both suffer.. The soft-sharp slider does not cure this...

Crippled by nasty 100hz artifacts and there seems no way to turn it off...

Desperately in need of colour calibration ... and some thing done about greyscale tracking...

Has anyone managed to get a good broadcast monitor like picture out of a KV-32FQ86? I'm happy to buy a service manual and try and tweak it via engineering menus.

I'm not an engineer an therefore not particularly technical. I do however spend allot of my life staring at Grade 1 Sony broadcast monitors so I know what TV is supposed to look like. The sonys I just bought are shocking.. The controls in the basic menu far to basic to improve things much...

I have a 100hz panisonic I bought a few years ago that has enough controls to get a nearly good picture...At least you could get rid of the nasty 100hz and the cheap video look of heavy edge enhancement..

Help!!

Thanks

Michael Lindsay

2. KAKU

KAKU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If You Have Bought These Two Sets Recently Why Not Take Them Back To The Retailer And Ask For Replacements, Are These Brand New Or Refurbs Or What Need More Info. I Am A Retired Electronics Engineer And My Advice Would Be Not To Tweak Any Thing.

Kaku]

3. Michael Lindsay

Michael Lindsay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

I might be able to take them back.... I however can't believe that I can't get them to look better... I (with no training) have sat patiently with Sony grade 2 monitors in the past tweaking till I got a good picture...

If I mess them up it is on my head (They were a very good deal anyway).... I'm even happy to pay somebody.. who knows what they are doing (as I do with Sony BVMD 20F1)

I think I'll order the Service manual and take it from there....

Do you think it possible that they will never yield a more acceptable picture?... I believe what I am seeing would be improved to acceptable' by turning down or off Low to mid frequency edge enhancement and some motion processing (I'm assuming 100hz stuff)...

thanks again for your opinion

Michael Lindsay