Kuro vs modern plasma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
OK as this is a popular debate I thought it a good idea to start a dedicated thread rather than have discussions being all over the place.

This is bound to get heated but please remain civil, were all here out of a shared interest and besides there are rules;) if you don't know the forum rules please read them before posting.

vaktmestern

Banned
Kuro the legend even calibrators been saying the kuro was good but been overhyped during they years. Kuros never been perfect they had they issues time has moved on. In my eyes been supassed by the 2012 and 2013 Panasonic vt and gt range. :lesson:

supermackem

OK as this is a popular debate I thought it a good idea to start a dedicated thread rather than have discussions being all over the place.

This is bound to get heated but please remain civil, were all here out of a shared interest and besides there are rules;) if you don't know the forum rules please read them before posting.
Can o worms.:laugh: Should be good discussion though, do we know any known real test numbers from the kuro range?.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Can o worms.:laugh: Should be good discussion though, do we know any known real test numbers from the kuro range?.
lol yes but best to have them in a can than wriggling all over the place... The lid can be re-closed too.:)

Bumtious

Banned
Measurements are great, but then has to be backed up with real world viewing.

The absolute best way of comparing is seeing them side by side.

At our show and in our showroom, that is exactly what you will see.

And for people not able to make the show, I can take live measurements, and someone can post them.

And everyone there can pass comment on what they see.

Pioneers tag lines were seeing is believing, and blacks like no other. At the time that was absolutely correct and without question.

Now you will be invited to black ZaTurday, a killer black day.

Where seeing is believing. :)

And much much more.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member

And for people not able to make the show, I can take live measurements, and someone can post them.

Pioneers tag lines were seeing is believing, and blacks like no other. At the time that was absolutely correct and without question.

And much much more.
lol you should become a promoter.;)
Posting results is a great idea and hope people with meters and the sets in question will do so. Must be members with both sets at some point, though I guess you do need a good meter.

vism

Am I right in saying that all Kuros had dynamic contrast and therefore could not do their deepest blacks and brightest whites on the screen at the same time?

vaktmestern

Banned
Kuros is like women.... They dont age well with time :lesson:

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Am I right in saying that all Kuros had dynamic contrast and therefore could not do their deepest blacks and brightest whites on the screen at the same time?
Good question, sounds like the F8500.

supermackem

And much much more.
Where would you put this years vt in that range, better than kuro?.

KuroMike

I'm hoping to get to the TPS meet to see all the TV'S for myself.

I like Panny plasmas but the picture on a Kuro still looks more natural to me. Yep it may have a bit more PWM noise but its not light and day compared to the GT/VT's I've seen.

I've seen a 65" VT50 in a dedicated cinema room. I could tell it was not as dark as my KRP and the picture not as dynamic and it was in the THX Cinema setting. Yep sure it wasn't set up to it's optimum but I gave me an idea of what the TV can do contrast wise.

I've not seen a properly calibrated Panny plasma and look forward to doing so hopefully if I can get a place in June. :thumbsup:

Jon P

The Kuro Is stil a great set. Most new screens can't match its black level. The Pure mode at the time was more accurate a picture setting than any thing else available. Its colour management system didn't work properly, The picture wasn't the cleanest. The EPG was slow and dull. The Top new sets can beat its black level can be calibrated more accurately without having to use an external video processor. They are thinner, lighter, more efficient, and have smart platforms and 3D but they have taken quite a long time to reach this point. The KURO sets should be seen as a highly significant product but their time has just about gone. For me Panasonic screens do flicker and although I've yet to see this on a 2013 model my self its been there for the last few generations and I expect it is still there (were not talking judder). We are still waiting to see retail ZT models appear but from the preproduction model I've seen that does look to be a step ahead of the VT.
The Samsung seems a better choice for me, although it's black level is good it is not as good as the Panasonics, as I don't think I could live with a panasonic.

Will I get rid of my Kuro for a new plasma. NO. If it breaks though, I feel I would be able to get a replacement which isn't a step backwards and would give me some benefits. I look forward to getting a set with a cleaner picture. However I hope I get another few year service from what possibly has been my most rewarding tech purchase ever.

I am disappointed though that all too few consumers appreciate and understand the benefits of a plasma screen considering the quality that is available to them and has been for the last decade. If more consumers purchased them more money would have been going into R&D and greater production would have led to more efficient/ecconomical production making them an even more attractive purchase. Least hopefully every one in this thread can agree that plasma, what ever set you have/will get, is the best TV screen option for a great picture at your price point. :)

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
The Kuro Is stil a great set. Most new screens can't match its black level. The Pure mode at the time was more accurate a picture setting than any thing else available. Its colour management system didn't work properly, The picture wasn't the cleanest. The EPG was slow and dull. The Top new sets can beat its black level can be calibrated more accurately without having to use an external video processor. They are thinner, lighter, more efficient, and have smart platforms and 3D but they have taken quite a long time to reach this point. The KURO sets should be seen as a highly significant product but their time has just about gone. For me Panasonic screens do flicker and although I've yet to see this on a 2013 model my self its been there for the last few generations and I expect it is still there (were not talking judder). We are still waiting to see retail ZT models appear but from the preproduction model I've seen that does look to be a step ahead of the VT.
The Samsung seems a better choice for me, although it's black level is good it is not as good as the Panasonics, as I don't think I could live with a panasonic.

Will I get rid of my Kuro for a new plasma. NO. If it breaks though, I feel I would be able to get a replacement which isn't a step backwards and would give me some benefits. I look forward to getting a set with a cleaner picture. However I hope I get another few year service from what possibly has been my most rewarding tech purchase ever.

I am disappointed though that all too few consumers appreciate and understand the benefits of a plasma screen considering the quality that is available to them and has been for the last decade. If more consumers purchased them more money would have been going into R&D and greater production would have led to more efficient/ecconomical production making them an even more attractive purchase. Least hopefully every one in this thread can agree that plasma, what ever set you have/will get, is the best TV screen option for a great picture at your price point. :)
Wow I fine balanced view and post.:smashin:

vism

+1

Some very reasonable comments on here so far....but give it time, the thread's not common knowledge yet.

Mike, look forward to seeing you at the meet. Last time we all thought it was very similar between the VT50 and the Kuro (Kuro slightly ahead). Hoping this year the VT/ZT60 take the crown from the KRP.

Last edited:

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
+1

Some very reasonable comments on here so far....but give it time, the thread's not common knowledge yet.

Mike, look forward to seeing you at the meet. Last time we all thought it was very similar between the VT50 and the Kuro (Kuro slightly ahead). Hoping this year the VT/ZT60 take the crown from the KRP.
Yes I preferred different areas of both myself, wasn't blown away though and personally think the VT50 edged it with HD.

If I was to sell my KRP500M what is it worth now? Fully calibrated by Gordon

albsky

The only reason you stick with your Kuro is the price you paid.
If you have enough money to afford a new TV nowdays, you are not willing to pay one third of the price you paid for Kuro, as it will seem a downgrade.
If you don't have enough money(as me in this moment) you try to justify it by remembering how good Kuro was 5 years ago.

In the meantime let me remind you that there have been some changes in TVs lately. Just to mention a few that you cannot tell me that Kuro have them better:
- 3D
- Smart APPS
- And even a Touch Pen in the latest Panasonic range (for business use)

I am sure that, even though measured, the black levels on your Kuro will be always the best, and the color accuracy cannot be matched by anything, although everyone that calibrates and tests Panasonic TVs from last and this year, say that it is more accurate than eye can perceive.

My friend(s), TVs, as any other technological device, are not like wine, don't get better with time, we just get used to their faults and missing features.

Psycho Sonny

could someone that has calibrated or measured the following tv's give them marks out of 100?

GT50
VT50
GT60
VT65
ZT65
Kuro

I just want to see how big the gap is between these sets in terms of PQ

Jon P

The only reason you stick with your Kuro is the price you paid.
Not entirely true. The Price of a genuine alternative isn't that different in price to a KURO. The Price of my KURO was under £2500 the Samsung alternative has an RRP of £1899 The point is that for me the differences aren't sufficient to justify it.
3D personally hold almost no interest for me (I could add this to the KURO if it was). Smart features I get via my attached devices. A pen holds no interest :) . If I changed I could get a cleaner image, deeper black level and more accurate colours (delta errors for my set are very low already) but I could also end up with a set with more flaws that the one I have. :)
What I'm actually waiting for is a UHD screen as I don't think there is much pointing in getting a new screen that isn't unless your screen dies. Seeing as I don't swap my screen every year I would be prepared to pay more for a screen with a higher resolution even if content is not currently here but it would also have to produce an image of at least the same quality as my KURO. I don't quite have the money for panasonics 4K plasma screen.

Last edited:

albsky

Just out of curiosity: how do you add 3D to your Kuro? Or you mean a projector?
That's how I added it to my PZ800 :)

vaktmestern

Banned
theres a 3d kit u can buy to add 3d to almost any tv with hdmi in

Jon P

There are I'm sure at least a couple of adaptor solutions using active shutter glasses which allow you to add 3D to any HD display. As I said not really my cup of tea.

try
HD FURY

Last edited:

vaktmestern

Banned
Can you please, be more specific?
I haven't heard of this before.
Unless it is the silly thing when you apply something in front of your TV.

Here you go.

albsky

Very interesting piece of technology.
I looked for it before I purchased a 3D projector, but no solution available.
Even now it doesn't seem a solution for me as it will cost $600, and with some more money you can get a full hd 3d projector.

Thanks anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton