Kuro needs replacing, £1,000 budget

wbabbington

Sadly after 12 years my ISF calibrated Pioneer Kuro is on its last legs and is going to have to be replaced very shortly. It's been a while since I looked at TVs and boy do things look like they've moved on a little! I'm looking for a TV that is going to get a lot of use (approximately 12 hours everyday), and be used for all types of viewing. It will also be my gaming TV on my PS5 as well as my movie watching TV while watching Blu rays and I guess I can now watch things in 4k!

It will be in a reasonably bright room and sat to the side of the main window but obviously the light can be controlled if necessary. I am not bothered about sound quality as everything is run through my amp (Kuro doesn't have speakers anyway so am used to not worrying about sound), 3D is not wanted and honestly not worried about smart tv (but im guessing they all have it these days). Picture quality is key for me and while my budget is about £1,000 can go slightly over if it means a decent jump in quality. Size wise I've not got room to go above 55" so that's really my limit. From the reading I have done it seems like OLED might be the way to go but unsure what things like Dolby vision or HDR10+ offer/needed etc? Thanks for any help and suggestions you can give.

dion 6

I would go for last year's model's big savings on this year's with this years model's minimal improvement. You've got the LG BX £959 the Panasonic HZ980 £999 and bit of a price jump the LG CX at £1193 the LG CX is probably the best allrounda and there's the Panasonic HZ1000 at £1299 but you can go up and up there all great tvs but I would certainly not get this year's model's and pay a big premium

Last edited:

Dodgexander

OLEDs like to perform their compensation cycle every 4h, so if you're wanting to keep the TV on for 12h straight you may be best going with an LCD TV instead. Sony XH9505 or Samsung Q90T/Q95T are recommended right now.

Avoid any 2021 models as they are overpriced. If you do want a 2021 TV, best revisit the purchase come black friday or later.

wbabbington

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. I'm definitely going to have to do some more reading on the burn in issue. I've read your guide Dodgexander and the report you link too and you do say that the risk on current TVs isn't what it was a few years ago. I've never had any issue on my plasma and while the TV is on for a large portion of the day it's different things with the same thing rarely on for more than a few hours. Plus as someone mentioned I could just turn it off when making food etc so it can run its cycle and have the brightness down if there's something overtly static.

But still it's something to think about.amd definitely something that I'm going to have to weigh up.

Dodgexander

Nothing sounds alarming from the sounds of it, and the compensation cycle itself is there to clear image retention, so if you don't have much from not using content with lots of static elements it may not even matter if you run it or not.

There are TVs in 2021 that are using a new panel type that's even more durable, but it may 1 or 2 years that these new panels can be found on the cheaper than more premium OLEDs. Its unlikely to see TVs like the LG G1, Panasonic JZ1500 or Sony A80J drop beneath 1k even in the best sale.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom