KURO is dead! A sad day for AV Fans….

This is bad news. I was planning on getting a Pio next year as I need to pay off a couple debts this year but this news has just squashed that dream....:thumbsdow

Following the announcement, I have just finished a 15 minute conversation with Jim Catcheside, Product manager at Pioneer GB who has commented on the news.

First of all this announcement only affects Plasma, LCD and front projection technology. The AV Business which includes; Audio and audio-visual amps, Receivers, integrated systems, speakers and BD Players are not affected by today's announcement.

“"Phil, first of all, lets put this in context: Plasma was only 14% of our overall global business at Pioneer and although this is a sad announcement, for all our KURO fans (including me), Pioneer have had no other choice than make this decision, particularly within the current global economic climate. Plasma has only been a part of our history for the last twelve years and in consumer TV terms only the last eight or nine. We were first and foremost founded as an Audio brand (speaker manufacturer) in 1937 and it's with this pedigree and heritage that we will be continuing with our other AV products, as well as other areas of the company such as car audio and navigation,” said Catcheside, adding "As stated in our companies announcement, we will continue to sell our current 9th Generation KURO TVs and withdraw from the global display business by March 2010."

Although Jim couldn't comment on exactly when the existing production lines will stop producing the current models, I know from previous dealings within the industry that manufacturers tend to be about 2-3 months ahead in terms of production. This, I would speculate means that there should be production of the current lines until at least December this year.

Jim added, “Whilst I cannot comment on specific production quantities, the existing G9 models were not due to be replaced until very late in 2009, therefore customers who still want to purchase the best TV in the world can still buy a KURO (whilst our stocks last). Warranty, after sales, both hard and software support including spare parts will continue to be fully supported by Pioneer. Equally, (for the time being) it's business as usual with the full line up of KURO TV's and selected AV products being shown and demonstrated at the Bristol show next week”.

So there you have it, some clarification from this morning's announcement and to summarise;

The announcement only affects KURO Plasma, LCD and front projection products.

The company will still be stocking and selling their plasmas in the UK until the end of the year (or until stocks last) .

Audio and audio-visual amps, receivers, integrated systems, speakers and BD Players are not affected by today's announcement and will continue as normal.

All warranties and after sales advice will be honoured well after production finally stops on the KURO products.

Last edited:
I talk to the guys at the Pioneer shop in the City Centre and they didnt know anything about it - poor buggers.

AV Amplifiers, Receivers, speakers and Blu-ray players are not affected by this announcement and will continue as normal.
All warranties and after sales advice will be honoured well after production finally stops on the TVs and projectors.

Thanks Phil at least "this" part is good news.

Sorry to be a dissenting voice, but it's simple economics. The Kuro was very good indeed - but not that much better than its cheaper rivals to justify an extra cost that could buy you a decent family holiday. At least that's what I thought when I was buying a new set last year (and yes, I could afford a Kuro, it's not sour grapes) and judging by the sales, a lot of others think the same.

all of those people insisting on plasma quality will have no option but to go to Panasonic, and that this extra trade for Panny will help them survive.

Hope so too. There are far to many retailers pushing the 'they're all the same' line it's unreal.

Everytime I go into Currys/Dixons/PC World etc etc I always hover round by the TV's to see what the sales people say.. makes me laugh!

It's like saying all cars are the same, but the majority of people can see and understand they're not, so why do they fall for this rubbish.

Sorry to be a dissenting voice, but it's simple economics. The Kuro was very good indeed - but not that much better than its cheaper rivals to justify an extra cost that could buy you a decent family holiday. At least that's what I thought when I was buying a new set last year (and yes, I could afford a Kuro, it's not sour grapes) and judging by the sales, a lot of others think the same.

You oblivously have not seen 'one' doing the rounds with HD content have you?! I am very proud of the setup I have been able to accomplish but if I am to stay with LCD/Plasma instead of going with a projector then it would be a 'Kuro' I would purchase next. Least I have until the end of the year to get one now :D

Hope so too. There are far to many retailers pushing the 'they're all the same' line it's unreal.

Everytime I go into Currys/Dixons/PC World etc etc I always hover round by the TV's to see what the sales people say.. makes me laugh!.

Tell me about it. I remember walking in there and having a discussion with a guy about 1080P and he did not have a clue what I was on about or it being FullHD and true 1920x1080 lines. If I remember his exact words was something like 'they're all the same' :D

Terrible shame this as a new Pioneer customer. I chose my TV because of its quality across the whole package. I think product quality has been falling due to the demand for lower prices and I hope my TV stand the test of time.

Tell me about it. I remember walking in there and having a discussion with a guy about 1080P and he did not have a clue what I was on about or it being FullHD and true 1920x1080 lines. If I remember his exact words was something like 'they're all the same' :D

I was in John Lewis yesterday and I overheard an elderly woman talking to the sales assistant about TV's, her quote "I've always associated Sony with quality" his quote “Sony TV’s are not very good” (not disputing this) “the only TV’s you can buy blindly are Panasonic and Phillips”

I nearly fell over laughing, as I’m staring at the stunning pioneer KRP600.

Where do they get them from??

A very sad day for quality AV fans. I can feel happy in knowing that I have the best 42-inch plasma money can buy - 428XD, but sad in the fact that it won't be bettered in the near future.

damn, i wanted to replace my TV with a Kuro. but as with all things it is cheapness that wins the day, quality gear will always be niche because it is so expensive, the general public dont see value in paying those prices.

Is there any hope Pioneer will sell or licence the the tech behind Kuro to someone like Panasonic? Surely it makes sense for Pioneer to at least recoup some money from their investment rather than leave the IP rights gathering dust.

Just as my 508XD has started flickering occasionally. It's under extended warranty, but what good is that if they can't fix and there are no replacements... :(

I actually believe you and I think it's like DLP rainbows and motion blur; some people are far more susceptible than others and similarly, some, maybe a lot of people, really aren't able to discern the quality differences in screens.

Personally, when I see my friends Pannys I can't help but think that they don't even come close to my Kuro; I think it's a glaring in you face difference too, not at all subtle as some people think. FWIW, I used to have one of the 500 Panny Vieras too.

Just finished talking to a pal who has a car dealership. He says times are tough and he is selling £6000/£8000 budget cars with 5 yr warranty, keeping his head down, and struggling with little help from the government

He can sell me a pre reg £25k 4 x 4 fully loaded with 5 yr warranty for....£10k

Last May, after the Chancellor announced big rises in car duty I decided to trade my Volvo V70 for a new Golf. The car brokers could only get £7k for my 28,000miles fully loaded Volvo. The Volvo dealer gave me book price (£10,500) against a new V50 diesel (45mpg, £160 road tax). He still has the V70, 9 months later

Bearing in mind the going price for a crt telly in recent years you must be able to understand why folk are unwilling at the moment to splash out for a top price flat panel, and why, with current exchange rates, the Japanese manufacturers are in a no win situation

It really is going to get worse before it gets better:mad:

Last edited:
maybe have to think about selling my 428xd now:eek:..... to get some funds for a krp 50 :devil: would love the 60 but cant really hammer the plastic right now.:(

This is, like the end of Concorde was to the aviation industry, a step backwards. I only got my Pioneer LCD on Tuesday and now I'm even more glad that I did because it's so much better than any other LCD I've seen. Watching a couple of Blu-rays earlier, I was simply astonished how much better the picture was compared to my old Panasonic and my dad's 1 year old Toshiba. It's not as if it was expensive either, costing less than the equivalent Panasonic and with a 5 year warranty thrown in.

Once again, cheapness reigns over progress and quality. We can only hope that, once the economy recovers, Pioneer can be tempted to make another go of the TV industry.

Is there any hope Pioneer will sell or licence the the tech behind Kuro to someone like Panasonic? Surely it makes sense for Pioneer to at least recoup some money from their investment rather than leave the IP rights gathering dust.

I was thinking the same, although I think it is unlikely. Panasonic and all the other big players already have great technology; they just choose not to use it due to cost. Look at the AVForums review of the Panasonic 65", they know how to get a fantastic picture and at 65", they just don't bother doing it for a £800 plasma....

Dupe...

what im hoping for is that when pioneer sold their soul to panasonic plasma wise that panasonic got the rights to the tech and subsequently produce a high end line encorperating this.

failing that who does it leave us with in terms high quality gear?!?!?

loewe? dont think so.

lucky i've got my slice of pioneer pie.

I was thinking the same, although I think it is unlikely. Panasonic and all the other big players already have great technology; they just choose not to use it due to cost. Look at the AVForums review of the Panasonic 65", they know how to get a fantastic picture and at 65", they just don't bother doing it for a £800 plasma....

Dupe...

Exactly. It costs extra to produce the higher quality components, and they simply aren't going to do that.

This is, like the end of Concorde was to the aviation industry, a step backwards. I only got my Pioneer LCD on Tuesday and now I'm even more glad that I did because it's so much better than any other LCD I've seen. Watching a couple of Blu-rays earlier, I was simply astonished how much better the picture was compared to my old Panasonic and my dad's 1 year old Toshiba. It's not as if it was expensive either, costing less than the equivalent Panasonic and with a 5 year warranty thrown in.

Once again, cheapness reigns over progress and quality. We can only hope that, once the economy recovers, Pioneer can be tempted to make another go of the TV industry.

How many times did you pay your own way on Concorde? I can't see the connection at all, Pioneer screwed up even nefore the credit crunch, they marketed to the converted.

Sad sad sad! :rolleyes: I never got a chance to experience greatness in the comfort of my own home. Maybe, like said before, the price will drop and I will be able to afford one. I know the wife is looking for a new TV for the bedroom, maybe I can persuade her into getting a Kuro for the TV room and move the current set into the bedroom.

I really wouldn't pin any hopes on the prices dropping. With these being the last plasmas from Pioneer, demand will be much higher than before this news. Think how many were biding their time for a 10G that will never appear now. :lesson:

After only ever owning Pioneer plasmas, I feel quite gutted that I can no-longer buy another :(

But as already mentioned, by the time I plan to upgrade from my 5090, I expect a new technology to prevail by then :smashin:

At least there is not much chance of another manufacturer bettering what I have now for a good few years .. hopefully (to avoid temptation) :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom