Kuro beaten by tv half the price!?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by h3r0, Jun 6, 2008.

1. h3r0

h3r0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I went into richer sounds to see some models i have shortlisted, they didnt have most but did have the pioneer 4280xd. there was a samsung 42q97 right above it and to my surpise it had better PQ than the kuro!!

they were all showing a blueray film, i asked the guy which tv has best PQ in the store he said the kuro at which point i asked why the samsung looks better and even he was surprised.

wasnt just my eyes, a friend later came i asked him to point out the best one out of the store and yes it was the samsung!

the settings were apparantly all tweaked.

they were quite similar but the samsung was a bit sharper with stronger colours and the pioneer was a bit softer with less vibrance.

i will definately be going to some more stores as i am not convinced its worth paying a lot more for the other top lcds on my shortlist!

would like to hear what others have to say about this samsung.

2. boxrick

boxrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Which shop was it may i ask? My local shop has recently had a refit, now the light is convieniantly pointing directly at the pio screen..... This makes the blacks look grey and the overall image quality suffers, the samsung is on the other wall with no lights directly at it, making the picture quality seem better.

Samsung q97s arnt bad.... the colours however arnt great, they have the typical samsung problems and the picture is grainy and SD suffers...:smashin:

3. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    JL Oxford St has a Pioneer 508XD fixed right under several shop lights. In comparison to the screens set up under the subdued lighting in the main audio and tv section the PQ looks awful.

4. h3r0

h3r0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    richer sounds near liverpool st. the q97 was just above the pio and the picture only was grainy when very close, normal distance was fine.

even if the pioneer had looked a bit better, theres no way its worth double the price. i know many others are in the same boat as me and im sure this will be of help!

i suppose i can ask them to turn the lights out :)

5. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    I pass this Richer Sounds on my travels on occasions and it is situated at the Liverpool Street end of Houndsditch.

At the moment, and for the forseeable future, there is major building work going on there, but even if there wasn't you can't park there. :thumbsdow

Nice looking shop for a RS establishment though. ;)

6. Jonstone

Jonstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +524
    The problem with buying any tv is that you can't do a proper comparison under shop conditions.

7. wHoMe

wHoMe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Unless two screens have been calibrated or at the least been setup to perform at their best how can you compare the two ?

God knows who's been at them in richer sounds :eek:

I would strongly recommend watching SD content freeview for example before buying a screen otherwise you might get an unpleasant surprise at home :)

wHoMe

8. h3r0

h3r0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    will be going to a few more stores to check, and yea i know good thing i dont watch much SD! mainly for movies and eventually HD :)

9. mepsipax

mepsipax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The Snake - Why be so rude?

h3r0 was saying that the Samsung set appeared to have the better picture, and

was surprised given the large price difference between TVs.

He or she then asked others opinions to establish if this was indeed just a case

of the shop having setup the Samsung 'better' than the Kuro.

Sounds like a fair question to me, and for the record, The Snake - 'You must be

stupid' to post such an unhelpful remark on a 'help forum'

10. johnboy35

johnboy35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    the settings were apparantly all tweaked.:eek:

Who tweaked them, stevie wonder.:laugh::laugh:

11. car-man

car-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    Hi h3r0, I paid £1200 for my 4280XD and am extremely happy with my purchase.

I would just like to point out that the Kuro picture significantly improves when you get 150 or more hours on it, it truly comes to life.

As you know, comparing different setup situations is the best plan, however, if you feel that that the Samsung is as good or better than the Kuro, then snatch their hands off, because you will truly have a fabulous TV....just like me, except you will have paid half of my cost.

Good luck!

ps, be sure to check how the Samsung compares with SD, the Kuro is excellent for SD.

12. h3r0

h3r0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks mate :)

im not expecting SD to be great, i dont watch much tv now but will be going HD freesat/freeview next year.

ive still yet to see the sony w4000, samsung a656 and toshiba zf355d though!

13. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I have been looking at getting a new TV and have been considering a switch from LCD to Plasma. I visited my local Comet who had a 42" HD Ready Pioneer model, '80D if memory serves among several others, set into a special Pioneer booth. There was also the whole Panasonic range arranged on the shop floor, but not in a specially lit area. I had access to the remotes and could tweak to my heart's content, despite the less than ideal circumstances for a demo (nevertheless, referring to "The Snake's" comments, quite how one can otherwise make a decision than to look at a shop model I am unsure).

Of the Plasma's I preferred the Panasonic 42" '85B model which seemed to have a sharper focus and better handling of the overall colour spectrum. The Pioneer did look like it may have had a darker black level, but the picture was fuzzy with a dotty look that the Panasonic just didn't have. I did get the Pioneer to display some very good images after a while of tweaking the settings, but it took less than two minutes to get the Panasonic to look better (IMO). I wouldn't say that the Pioneer was poor, but it was certainly overpriced and perhaps over hyped.

Russell

14. johnboy35

johnboy35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    The pioneers are well known to be not that great on the default settings but once setup they will blow all the others out of the water, it might be worth taking a look at the 8g thread and trying the settings from that as i am sure your opinion will change.:smashin:

15. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    As for LCD's in stores, as they tend to give a brighter and sharper PQ than plasmas, it's only natural they should look better. I don't tend to watch tv with a few hundred watts of lighting behind me though.

16. isayisay

isayisay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Im sure for their price the samsung plasma range is very competitive with its rivals LG and panasonic as their are many happy samsung plasma owners out there,is the kuro range really worth the extra money is what a lot of people seem to ask?In reality if we could afford it most plasma owners would MAYBE opt for a pioneer,but thousands of us are happy with whichever brand of tv we choose.:)

17. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Let's not forget that there's a lot of proper processing of 1080i and NTSC DVDs in that Pioneer that neither the Samsung nor the Panny do properly and which adds to the cost.

18. nbat58

nbat58

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Thank goodness for freedom of choice. :D:thumbsup:

19. kjt2004

kjt2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Guys

Get a grip

Obviously a demo in a shop is all subjective, Accent and task lighting etc

You can only use them as a guide

Go to comet/currys and see the LG demos they always seem to be slightly better PQ at first glance

But general opinion will concur the pioneer is better than the sammy it comes down to is worth twice the price

Regards

20. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    If you think the Samsung looks better, by all means get the Samsung and pay less.

It is not better, however—it sounds like you are used to artificially sharpened images, and like the colour cranked up. The Pioneers produce a much more accurate image.

21. h3r0

h3r0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    yea agreed :)

22. h3r0

h3r0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hmm i think thats just personal preference though as the top lcds were also quite vibrant, and also there was little difference we all had to stare for a while to tell :)

23. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    You say that like it's a good thing ;)

24. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Samsung probably on dynamic which like my LCD makes the picture look horrid. Is Pioneer default mode similar, or more natural stock settings?

Just because a LCD is vivid doesn't mean it can be. Much like setting a Pioneer 508 at 100% colour and 100% sharpness.- must be a rubbish set because it's blocking, ringing with peoples faces all red.

25. h3r0

h3r0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i would say the kuro is vibrant compared to many of the sets in there! and currently there are more lcds in my short list but i have not compared them yet, but at the moment looks like plasma may win :clap:. need to also see the pz80, they only had px80 and pz85 but they were on the other side and didnt look as good.

26. Highdef

Highdef
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It all depends on what you are planning to view mainly on the tv. Both the Samsung and Pioneer plasmas mentioned are very low HD resolutions. If you are showing a Blu-ray film then the picture has to be downrezzed from 1920x1080. It is quite possible that Samsung have made a tv with better components to deal with this downrezzing.

Personally though if you were watching a Blu-ray on a Full HD Pioneer plasma then you would notice the difference as the quality was quite amazing on the 50" Pioneer PDP-LX5080D that I saw. It was almost as good as watching HD on an HD CRT monitor.

27. h3r0

h3r0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    are blueray movies in different resolutions? as i couldnt really see any difference in detail between both these sets and the full HD sets next to them :confused:

28. WhatTheManSaid

WhatTheManSaid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Popped into a quiet Comet earlier this week and right at the back they had the special preimum Pioneer, Panny, Sony and Philips displays.

I watched the screens for a while then asked the assistant to swap the Pioneer BlueRay demo disk from the Pioneer 42" (4280) display to the Panny 42" (PZ85).

The Pioneer demo shows lots of dark screen areas, shadows and also facial close-ups (you can see this in your local store). It looked very good on the Pioneer, quite natural looking. I was very shocked to see that the Panny was noticeably worse (being a 1080p). The facial closeups were particularly telling - they just looked digital. Probably not the fairest of tests and I didn't try to adjust anything on the screens, since they both looked very good with their own demo disks.

These sets were my 2 finalists for a move from a 32" CRT to the world of plasma. I didn't expect to be able to see such obvious differences in the two plasmas. Also from 8' away the advantage of 1080p didn't even help the Panny.

I've now ordered a Pio 4280 from TLC.

29. Highdef

Highdef
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Blu-ray movies are normally in 1920x1080 but they can be at 1280x720. It depends at what resolution the film was originally filmed at. If it was filmed in HD, they can choose between 720p, 1080i (although unlikely if it is going to be released for the cinema) or 1080p. However if it was filmed on 35mm film, they would normally convert this to 1080p as this is a higher resolution than 720p.

If the Samsung has a good downrezzer (as I think they do) then you won't notice much difference at first glance between a full HD tv and an HD ready tv, it's just that you are not getting the full potential of the Blu-ray. It's like having a high resolution hoarding poster which looks good and saying it still looks good quality if you shrink it. Of course it will, it's just that the whole benefit of full HD is that you can now afford to get bigger size tvs.