Kuro 9G compared to 8G (calling owners!)

True-Blue

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Morning Chaps,It's time for my trusty Panna PW6 to be upgraded and as much as I'd love to just throw a 60'' 9G on the wall I need to be realistic :(
What I'm looking for is feedback from people who have gone from an 8G Kuro to a 9G,* 50'' is likely to be my screen size.
In reality, ie day to day viewing of normal tv via Sky and films Via Bluray and HD DvD, how much better do you find your 9G than your old 8G?What specifically is better and how?
I'm really looking for guidance from owners who have upgraded or anyone who has seen the two generations side by side for more than five minutes.
Thanks Gents, this purchase will need to last me five years, so I need to make sure the extra cost of a 9G is genuinely worth it:thumbsup:Out now, will check back lunchtime - thanks again.

I've read all the thread and from what I remember just one or two people are planning to upgrade from 8G to KRP because it offers facilities they need or want over and above any small picture improvement.

I don't recall people jumping from 8G to the existing range of 9Gs as it's a very big expenditure for small improvements. I wouldn't be surprised if someone somewhere had made the jump as some of us here appear not to be short of a bob or two, but the bulk of us are not in any position to help you.

I did as it happens see an 8G and 9G operating side by side a couple of weeks ago but they weren't the real subject of my interest so I can only confirm that there was an improvement but whether it is worth all the extra money is a personal decision only you can answer. I would have thought that if you want to keep your new TV for five years you should start off with something which isn't already dated. I'd go for a KRP and damn the expense - oops, I already have. :D

I don't recall people jumping from 8G to the existing range of 9Gs as it's a very big expenditure for small improvements. I wouldn't be surprised if someone somewhere had made the jump as some of us here appear not to be short of a bob or two, but the bulk of us are not in any position to help you.

:rolleyes: So I guess i didn't upgrade to the 9G after all ;)

I went from the 4280XD to a 5090 and the differences justified the expense.

I demod the 508XD at TLC broadcast which was about £800 less than the 5090 which came out a week after my Demo. I went back the next weekend and they had the tvs setup next to each other, and straight away I was drawn to the 9G set with it's near infinate blacks and better dynamic range.

I initially wanted a bigger screen, but I did start to become unhappy with the 8G blacks (I'm a right picky boy :D), and the 5090 offered the improvements, plus the ability to spend money I didn't have, thus meaning an upgrade in the future isn't feasable or wanted.

I felt that the 8G 42 was amazing, but the 9G 5090 was the set to last me the full 5yrs of the warranty, and will eventually be wall mounted when I buy my first house in about 2 years time.

Search for 'Demo fun @ TLC' in this plasma section and you will find me review of my demos at TLC and what my initial impression were of the 9G.

:thumbsup:

:rolleyes: So I guess i didn't upgrade to the 9G after all ;)

I went from the 4280XD to a 5090 and the differences justified the expense.
Well at least I flushed you out for Tru-Blue's benefit. :clap:

I initially wanted a bigger screen, but I did start to become unhappy with the 8G blacks (I'm a right picky boy :D)
Picky is good. Without us picky people everything would head south. :(

Just think how big a grin I will have when going up from 6G.

Am I missing something here or surely if Tru-Blue you don't have a 8g (Panasonic owner you say) and the 9g's are less to buy than the 8g's, then a 9g is the way forward regardless? I think even the KRP's are there or thereabouts with the 'old' 8g prices..

Am I missing something here or surely if Tru-Blue you don't have a 8g (Panasonic owner you say) and the 9g's are less to buy than the 8g's, then a 9g is the way forward regardless? I think even the KRP's are there or thereabouts with the 'old' 8g prices..

You are mostly correct but remember the 8g range had the 508XD which was considerably cheaper than the LX

I think there are still some bargains kicking around where 8G's are being cleared, hence my post.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a dealer within a reasonable travelling distance that will have a properly set up 9G for me to demo.

Well at least I flushed you out for Tru-Blue's benefit. :clap:

Your bait worked, damn fishermen :D

Picky is good. Without us picky people everything would head south. :(

Just think how big a grin I will have when going up from 6G.

Unless the panel is shattered in the box :eek::devil:

Enjoy it, the difference will be amazing. Just go over to movietyme and order 'The Fall' on Blu-ray. It might be £18, but the film is wonderful and has the best shots I have ever scene on a disc. Great child actress around 5 or 6 in the same league as ledgers Dark Knight performance (alas not a scary psyhco way). Great story, great shots, and a good ending, although the story is a little weird.

That disc will show you why these sets are worth a lot more than than other good plasma tvs.

I recently went from a pwd6 to a 5090 - for 2 key reasons; I wanted a bigger screen, and 1080p.

I did consider a 50" 8th gen -and the one's I saw were really good, but financially getting the 5090 for only £300 more (Inc stand speaker) was a no brainer, plus the fact that I would have always wondered whether I should have gone for the newer model if I had gone for the 508

The 508 is still a sizeable step in both size and performance from your pw6, but only you can decide whether the extra outlay is worth it. For me it was.

Last edited:
I went from a 508XD as a reference TV to the 5090 and the differences are certainly there to be seen. Blacks and contrast are improved as is the colour saturation. I can see why people wouldn't change their TVs every year though and those with 8G are still enjoying some of the best screens on the market, even today after others have had a year to catch up. HTHs

Unless the panel is shattered in the box :eek::devil:
You are a bundle of fun aren't you?: :rotfl:

Mine is coming from TLC Broadcast. I had always assumed that TLC stood for Tender Loving Care.

To get back to T-B's question, I hope he notices that you went from 42" 'low res' to 50" Full HD so it's not surprising you thought it a worthwhile upgrade.

OTOH, T-B is coming from Panasonic land... but I am biased, I won't allow Panasonic gear into the house. :devil:

I'll look into the disc recommendation. Never bought from US sources but the lack of choice here is something of a let down.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom