Kudos and Exposure Active System Review & Comments

Gordon2147

Hi Ed,

Just started to read the review then saw that it was uploaded this morning, so merry Xmas to you and or the person who uploaded it.

Now to read it

All the best

Gordon

MikeTheBike2010

I’m not in the market for a stereo system, I can’t afford this one, I don’t actually understand some of what it does.
But....
Loved reading your interesting review and hearing, between the lines, your passion for its performance.

Thank you as always and Merry Christmas!

pressure

Magnificent. Bravo!

Paul7777x

Damn.

I really would do crime to own that set up.

Sadly I’m too clumsy and forethought-deficient and I doubt they’d allow me to use it in my cell :(

Paul7777x

Mr Selley sir, I’d be interested in your opinion of the difference between the 606 and 505 and if it’s significant.

Boxinghris

Merry Christmas!

A nice review to read on Christmas Day morning, and a reminder that stereo done well is as immersive and enveloping as surround sound.

My own stereo system has evolved over decades and the weakest link nowadays is invariably the quality of the recording, but quality live recordings place you in the venue and are magical.

The only problem with hearing an exceptional system for any length of time though is that you’re aware of the failings of everything you hear afterwards so I hope your own system doesn’t suffer too much by comparison?

Best,
Chris.

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
Mr Selley sir, I’d be interested in your opinion of the difference between the 606 and 505 and if it’s significant.
They are both magnificent speakers. In this 3.5x4.1m lounge, it's fractionally easier to dial the 505 in but it isn't like the 606 is unruly. The lower tweeter position on the 606 suits slouching on the sofa a little better though.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
My friend Chris ran these speakers active with three devialet expert 250 Pro, which are about 13k each!
It sounded incredible.

Paul7777x

They are both magnificent speakers. In this 3.5x4.1m lounge, it's fractionally easier to dial the 505 in but it isn't like the 606 is unruly. The lower tweeter position on the 606 suits slouching on the sofa a little better though.
Aha... good to know for when I start my granny robbing escapades.

Slouching is my hobby :smashin:

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
What a truly fabulous system. The joys of reviewing such things as this must be an absolute joy.....that of course turns to crushing sadness when you have to send it back.

Merry Christmas!

A nice review to read on Christmas Day morning, and a reminder that stereo done well is as immersive and enveloping as surround sound.

My own stereo system has evolved over decades and the weakest link nowadays is invariably the quality of the recording, but quality live recordings place you in the venue and are magical.

The only problem with hearing an exceptional system for any length of time though is that you’re aware of the failings of everything you hear afterwards so I hope your own system doesn’t suffer too much by comparison?

Best,
Chris.
It could be an appallingly horrid consequence, however, as a reviewer or if you just heard these somehow, you really just got to come to the conclusion that there will always be systems to blow your own out of the water. But that's OK, because of the fact that well, you're never, ever going to afford it. It's not the same as to say, making a bad component choice, and for just a touch more money you could/should have bought something was a lot better than your original choice.

And another uber-expensive system could be delivered soon, so time with your own "crappy" set-up is limited lol.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Maybe the speakers were slightly different...
It's crazy how good it sounded, but it was a very expensive stack of hifi!
Nice read on Christmas day, I always enjoy Ed's reviews.

Attachments

Steve Stifler

A thoroughly interesting and entertaining read (again!).

I guess I may have bias owning a more real world Exposure HiFI system. Would love to hear this one for myself, even if it is WAY out of budget. For anyone interested in a closer to reality system, 'just' the 5010 pre-amp and a pair of matching monoblocks works really very well with ATC SCM40s. This active system seems epic though. What's the going rate for a kidney??

I absolutely get what @Ed says about matching boxes from the same brand. Exposure might be reasonably well known in some quarters, but are often overlooked in favour of other British brands. That is a shame, as Epsoure make some really nice kit. The partnering here with Titan is a great move.

Thanks again @Ed and enjoy your Christmas and New Year.

Last edited:

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Arn't the the 808 speakers that cost £25k themselves!?
Probably! It was a bit mental. Like folks say, once you've heard something like that you do tend to feel inferior about your own system even if it's already pretty good.

gigglebug

Probably! It was a bit mental. Like folks say, once you've heard something like that you do tend to feel inferior about your own system even if it's already pretty good.
Always good to have something to aspire to though. The biggest single upgrade I ever made was moving from an Argos special all on one to my first separates. The classic Pioneer A400 amp, a pair of Mission speakers and a Pioneer cd player which had a platter for putting the cd on upside down. I don't expect anything would have a profounder effect on my enjoyment of music as that single move did.

carpman0401

I thoroughly enjoyed reading you’re review of this Ed, like most people I wish I could afford something as superlative as this. Have a great Christmas and happy new year. 🎄

Gnaghi

Fantastic review of a fantastic system. I'm not sure I'd want to hear it though then listen to my limited kit!!:blush: On the other hand, I'd love to hear it:clap::love:

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
The joys of reviewing such things as this must be an absolute joy.....that of course turns to crushing sadness when you have to send it back.
There's always going to be something else to look at...

1608994598266.png

Boxinghris

What a truly fabulous system. The joys of reviewing such things as this must be an absolute joy.....that of course turns to crushing sadness when you have to send it back.

It could be an appallingly horrid consequence, however, as a reviewer or if you just heard these somehow, you really just got to come to the conclusion that there will always be systems to blow your own out of the water. But that's OK, because of the fact that well, you're never, ever going to afford it. It's not the same as to say, making a bad component choice, and for just a touch more money you could/should have bought something was a lot better than your original choice.

And another uber-expensive system could be delivered soon, so time with your own "crappy" set-up is limited lol.
I used to write reviews of audio equipment and was fortunate enough to have some exceptional gear pass through my hands, and living room, but my own system is the best I’ve heard with the proviso it’s tailored to my room and tastes.

Often review samples would give a different perspective which initially impressed, then over time you’d pick up on what they weren’t doing as well as the component they’d replaced.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
There's always going to be something else to look at...

View attachment 1429340
Gosh @Ed Selley, how do you manage to drag yourself out of bed and face work every day??

PS. For the record, McIntosh gives me a fuzzy feeling in my gentleman's sausage. Divisive looks on which I am a fully paid-up member in the Love Club.

Paul7777x

I’m sold.

It may take around two years but I’m now after a pair of either the Titan 606 or 707 and a Lyngdorf 2170 and 2400 power amp.

Used, I’m hoping they all come in at around £11,000.

Boxinghris

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

NAD Launches CI 16-60 DSP Amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett