Kubu Furniture from eBay

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by frankyknuckles, Dec 28, 2006.

1. frankyknuckles

frankyknuckles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Probably fine, I don't think you can go far wrong for the money £145 is a bargain. I have seen some very nice furniture coming out of Asia. The wood is certainly superior to pine!
    A few things to bear in mind:
    True Wenge is nearly black. There is no such thing as 'Light Wenge'. If you want the real thing be prepared to pay several thousand for it.
    I would be a little cautious about the claims made about the wood used. The density can be similar but the American and European rules about what constitutes 'good' timber are very different from those in Indonesia.
    The larger veneered boards are made in much the same way as 'solid' wood worktops are made in this country. Off cuts and scrap wood glued together. Then they apply a veneer. Good for the environment but not the best if you damage it.

3. TigerWhoops

TigerWhoops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have bought the Dark Wenge low tv cabinet from Kubu off ebay, i think the quality is excellent. All my friends are commenting on it when they come round.

I did have an issue with the delivery company though, i ordered on the 11th December the cabinet ended up coming on the 24th after the delivery company had originally arranged 22nd only for them not to show :rolleyes: however this could have been down to so close to the Xmas period. However my emails to Kubu were always quickly and politely answered.

The cabinet itself is well made, it's pretty dark wood, although it does look as if the dark effect has been laquered on, however, it still looks great.

One annoying issue was the holes at the back where you feed the cables into were not big enough for a scart head so had to cut it wider for the cables to fit, also the drawers on the cabinet are not big enough to fit DVD's or even CD's "spine up" and so we have a few just lying flat in the drawers which is a bit of a waste.

Myself (and more importantly the missus!!!) are very happy with it, in fact we are considering getting the bookcase in the same style from Kubu too.

I'm at work at the minute until tonight, if you want, pm me your email and i'll take some pics tonight.

4. frankyknuckles

frankyknuckles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    PM sent, thanks.:clap:

5. KW1816

KW1816

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    TigerWhoops,

Would it be possible to remove the drawers and use the space for another bit of kit e.g. DVD player ??
    Really like the look of it but need to fit more kit :eek: :eek:

Ta
    Kevin.

6. TigerWhoops

TigerWhoops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Not really Kevin, the one thing i would change about the cabinet would be the drawers, they are not very deep or tall at all, in fact, dvd's can't be placed on their spine as the drawer will not close, the only way to do it is to lie the dvd's flat even then you can only pile about 4 on top of each other before the drawer is full.:thumbsdow

I couldn't tell you the width and height of the drawers to give you more of an idea as i'm at work at the minute, but i'll measure them when i get home and let you know, but unfortunately i'd be surprised if you can fit any kit in there.:(

7. KW1816

KW1816

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Ta - really appreciate that. The unit looks like just the sort of thing I've been looking for but I'm struggling to find one that will take all my kit.

I've already resigned myself to getting rid of my Rotel Processor with 2 Power amps 'tower of power' :D and going back to a Receiver. That means I need space for SKY+, DVD, Receiver, centre speaker and HTPC.

So I want a long, low, dark wood cabinet that can take 5 bits of kit (4 at a push - I'll replace the HTPC as well) Not a lot to ask is it :eek: :eek:

Ta
    Kevin W.

8. TigerWhoops

TigerWhoops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7

Looking at the cabinet again it looks as if it maybe possible but not sure if you would want to risk it?, you will need to modify the cabinet a bit to make it work like create a bottom shelf as the space the drawer leaves when taken out is just a gap to the floor.

Anyway the measurements of the drawer is;

Width 57cm
    Depth 30cm
    Height 10cm (like i said this is terribly shallow drawers)

I hope this helps matey

9. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Good find, some of this looks like the sort of thing I'm after. Are they solid wood with a lacquered veneer then?

Anyone who has some stuff from Kubu could you post a pic up, as the ones they use on ebay don't look to be very good quality (the photo)?

10. TigerWhoops

TigerWhoops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Please forgive my photo skills i'm no David Bailey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one shows the depth of the drawers

[​IMG]