Question KS7000 and UB700 HDR Dull Colors Issue

XstreamToxics

Novice Member
Reaction score
Ive got an issue with HDR playback.
I have the Mad Max UHD disc and when I play it there is an information windows that says 4K HDR and some other information. But the problem is that the colors are dull and look a little washed out. I can correct this issue if I pull out the HDMI cable from the One Connect Box whilst the disc is playing and then plug it in again.
Doing that makes a tremendous difference because it will make the colors very vibrant and everything will just start looking very good instead of washed out.

So why is it doing this? Is it the TV or the Bluray player? Its starting too get annoying too pull out the HDMI cable everytime I want too watch a movie.
I appreciate any help I can get with this issue

Ive got an issue with HDR playback.
I have the Mad Max UHD disc and when I play it there is an information windows that says 4K HDR and some other information. But the problem is that the colors are dull and look a little washed out. I can correct this issue if I pull out the HDMI cable from the One Connect Box whilst the disc is playing and then plug it in again.
Doing that makes a tremendous difference because it will make the colors very vibrant and everything will just start looking very good instead of washed out.

So why is it doing this? Is it the TV or the Bluray player? Its starting too get annoying too pull out the HDMI cable everytime I want too watch a movie.
I appreciate any help I can get with this issue
What is the other information specifically that on the third line for the HDMI output on the UB700? Sounds like you might be getting SDR BT.709 rather than HDR BT.2020.
Might be a player and/or TV settings issue.

PS hot plugging HDMI cables is usually not recommended.

What is the other information specifically that on the third line for the HDMI output on the UB700? Sounds like you might be getting SDR BT.709 rather than HDR BT.2020.
Might be a player and/or TV settings issue.

PS hot plugging HDMI cables is usually not recommended.

IMG_1501852565.023347.jpg

This is the Playback Info

If that is for the pre-swap dull picture situation ignore my previous comments re SDR vs HDR.

I just tried disabling the UHD color mode in the tv settings and then enabling it again. And now it looks really good again, just like after the HDMI unplug.

How I like it:
IMG_1501853691.041578.jpg

How I don't like it:
IMG_1501853872.999092.jpg

There really is a lack of color in the second picture. I don't know if you can see that with these pictures because I made them with my phone, but the difference is huge.

You need to make sure that HDMI UHD Color is enabled as otherwise the port is running at 1.4 rather than 2.0 and will not pass through the extra HDR info properly, if you had a Sammy Blu-Ray player it would have probably auto recognised it and changed it, but we all know competing brands don't always necessarily play nice together. Also it might be worth checking that the HDMI cable you are using is Premium Certified as a general High Speed one may not be up to the job properly, especially if you are sending through all that lovely HDR 4K goodness.

You need to make sure that HDMI UHD Color is enabled as otherwise the port is running at 1.4 rather than 2.0 and will not pass through the extra HDR info properly, if you had a Sammy Blu-Ray player it would have probably auto recognised it and changed it, but we all know competing brands don't always necessarily play nice together. Also it might be worth checking that the HDMI cable you are using is Premium Certified as a general High Speed one may not be up to the job properly, especially if you are sending through all that lovely HDR 4K goodness.

HDMI UHD Color is enabled and I have a High Speed HDMI 18Gbp/s Supporting Deep Color and HDR.
The problem is that if I start a movie with HDMI UHD Color On it will still look bad and the only way too fix it is too pull out the HDMI cable and then put it in again or by turning off HDMI UHD Color and then turning it on again.

HDMI UHD Color is enabled and I have a High Speed HDMI 18Gbp/s Supporting Deep Color and HDR.
The problem is that if I start a movie with HDMI UHD Color On it will still look bad and the only way too fix it is too pull out the HDMI cable and then put it in again or by turning off HDMI UHD Color and then turning it on again.
Perhaps try using a different HDMI port on the TV

Ok, so somehow the TV is not receiving the right metadata information from the Blu Ray player, until you give it a kick.... May I ask what options you have for color output from the Blu-Ray Player? Especially anything to do with Deep color or 4:4:4?

Also try setting UB700 to output 10bit 4:2:2.

Ok, so somehow the TV is not receiving the right metadata information from the Blu Ray player, until you give it a kick.... May I ask what options you have for color output from the Blu-Ray Player? Especially anything to do with Deep color or 4:4:4?

I have deep color on Auto (12 bit) and Colour mode on YCbCr (Automatic)

If using another input doesn’t work, (And you are using the main HDMI out on the player) make sure the player is turned off before selecting the Blu-ray input, thus making sure that the player is always turned on last. (Also check to make sure both the TV and player have the latest firmware updates)

Hope this helps

Bill

If using another input doesn’t work, (And you are using the main HDMI out on the player) make sure the player is turned off before selecting the Blu-ray input, thus making sure that the player is always turned on last. (Also check to make sure both the TV and player have the latest firmware updates)

Hope this helps

Bill

It did not help :(
The weird thing is that I just put in The Martian UHD disc and the HDR started without a problem. So is it the disc that is bad or is it the 4K player that doesn't read the discs properly.
Should I return the Panasonic UB700 and go for a Sony X800 instead?

The weird thing is that I just put in The Martian UHD disc and the HDR started without a problem. So is it the disc that is bad or is it the 4K player that doesn't read the discs properly.

The 700 is an excellent player & lots use it with various TV manufacturers without issue & whilst it could be faulty I would suspect the TV having an issue. Do you have a friend with a 4K set you can try it on?

The 700 is an excellent player & lots use it with various TV manufacturers without issue & whilst it could be faulty I would suspect the TV having an issue. Do you have a friend with a 4K set you can try it on?

No I don't know anyone that has a 4K TV. The thing is that HDR works on Youtube in the build in TV app, and it works from what I've seen on The Martian but not on Mad Max. Because on Mad Max the color is very "sandy" and not vivid, but if I turn UHD Color Mode off and then on again it will have that pop effect with colors and the colors are then very beautiful. So could it be a problem with the Mad Max disc?

This IMHO all points towards an EDID/handshake issue. The TV is not seeing the correct signal or the player is not sending the correct signal. HDMI can be a real PITA at times. Have you tried a different cable just in case? Are firmwares up to date on all components? If you switch to the correct input on the TV and turn the player on from a completely off state what happens?

No I don't know anyone that has a 4K TV. The thing is that HDR works on Youtube in the build in TV app, and it works from what I've seen on The Martian but not on Mad Max. Because on Mad Max the color is very "sandy" and not vivid, but if I turn UHD Color Mode off and then on again it will have that pop effect with colors and the colors are then very beautiful. So could it be a problem with the Mad Max disc?
I guess it could be a faulty disc but don't think I have seen it mentioned anywhere?

This IMHO all points towards an EDID/handshake issue. The TV is not seeing the correct signal or the player is not sending the correct signal. HDMI can be a real PITA at times. Have you tried a different cable just in case? Are firmwares up to date on all components? If you switch to the correct input on the TV and turn the player on from a completely off state what happens?

I have 3 HDMI Cables but they are all the same brand and model, but I will try changing HDMI and report back.

Sorry I must have missed your above post. It is only on a certain disc? Are you 100% sure? What I mean is, have you carried out exactly the same tests with both discs e.g. switching to correct input and then turning on the player and putting in the disc and then turn all off and start again but inserting the different disc?

How long you had the UB700, maybe try to get a replacement, or try getting a replacement one connect box, maybe start with a different HDMI cable first.

Something weird happend this time when I started Mad Max. First it started playing without the HDR and then after a few seconds of non HDR their was some weird distortion and then it popped into HDR. This has never happend before I've always needed too turn UHD off and on again but this time it did it automatically (with distortion)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom