1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Krytons new HD

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Jeff, May 15, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I have bought 3 hard disks over the last couple of years and they have all turned noisy yet were very quiet to start with. When I first looked at doing a HTPC I wanted to use solid state technology but the prices where prohibitive. Recently I decided to have another look and now its much more affordable. The solution I decided to try is a 256MB DiskOnModule, this is a very small plastic covered thing that plugs directly in to the IDE connector on the motherboard and perfectly emulates a standard HD. Throughput wise these are surprisingly slow but have the advantage of extremely fast seek times. Apart from large file copies and the larger software installs everything else operates very quickly indeed. You can buy larger Flash IDE drives but again prices start to go through the roof. 256MB doesn't sound much but you can get a base Windows 98 OS install down to about 60MB using 98lite which leaves plenty of space for HTPC apps.

Jeff

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Where did you get it from m8?
    Sounds intersting, but I think I'd want more than 256MB.

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
  4. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Ouch! Some price for very little storage.
    Think I'll live with my noisy HD's at the moment :)

5. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Jeff

Very interesting, one of those and an via eden board and it should be possible to get a totally silent PC.

Just a couple of comments. I would think that using a compact flash card and an adapter may be better as then you can at least use the memory in other devices when you upgrade. Also be careful about how many writes your device supports. I seem to remeber that there is a relatively low limit on number of writes, say 2-3000. You may want to get everything installed and a real disk partition and then use a disk copy when everything is finished. Also make sure you switch the swap file off.

Have you found a silent power supply yet? That store doesn;t seem to have supplies which is odd.

John

6. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Jeff

Also is there any reason why you went for the secure option on the disk?

John

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    John,

I didn't know about the limited writes (nothing in the spec about it) I'll check with the supplier. I was aware of the compact flash adapters but not all of these are bootable and I liked the tidyness of this option. The non-secure modules listed on the site only appear to go up to 192MB which is a bit too tight and the price difference isn't that great. I have the PSU fairly well covered, my current 400W PSU has a 12db Papst fan in it so virtually silent anyway. The only noisy bit I have left is the Pioneer DVD drive (already in quiet mode). We are almost at the stage were we could build a home brew Rock+ with no moving parts. A german company are planning to release a fanless 300W ATX PSU.

Jeff

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,087
    Hi Jeff,

have you thought about swapping the Pioneer for a Liteon 163? Apparently they're quieter than the Pioneer drives even when they're using the slow down utility.

I had a 104s and I've replaced it with the Liteon, and it certainly is quieter, but I wasn't running the slow down software.

Where'd you get the 12db Papst fan from? The one I got from Quietpc is only 20db I think.

Cheers.

Gary.

9. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Gary,

Depending on how good my Denon 1600 SDI player is, I might not need a DVD drive at all. :) RS are a great site for fans http://rswww.com I got the Papst fan from them.

Jeff

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,087
    Cheers Jeff,

I just looked on the site, and we use RS at work, so I may just order one - remember the part number to save me searching?(lazy mode...) :)

Cheers.

Gary.

11. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Gary,

Sorry can't remember the part number of a PC fan I bought over a year ago. :rolleyes:

John,

Here is a reply from the supplier re number of writes;

Hi Jeff
    What is your application? Are you logging data or writing to the DOM frequently? If so how many time a minute?
    You are able to rewrite to each block, of each flash chip on the DiskOnModule approx.. 250,000 times.
    Depending on how the operating system handles where it writes to it may be possible to evenly spread the wear across the
    available space. The optimum design would be to create a separate ram disk or alternative file perhaps on a hard drive for backing data or paging. Some of the embedded systems are designed so that only the OS and application are on flash and all the temporary or data logged storage are somewhere else.

I hope that helps, if you need any further information please let me know.

Regards
    Richard Chapman
    Miles Industrial Electronics Ltd

12. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Jeff

Thanks for the tip about the compact flash ones not being bootable.

Sounds like your in the clear on the writes then, I would still make sure that you don't run with paging on and that you put the temp drive in memory or an a network. There are also some files that windows seems to change frequently, might be worth making these read only or something.

I'm interested in this from an mp3 player point of view rather than a hcpc atm, my projector now drowns out my HCPC so much so that I probably won't be silencing that for a while.

John