1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kryton the scaler

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jeff, Aug 4, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I've been working hard on Kryton in Preparation for the Event. The main feature that I'm currently working on is the scaler function. As most of you already know it is possible to use a PC as a scaler/deinterlacer using software called DScaler and a bt8x8 compatible capture card. The DScaler software is truely great and is improveing all the time. One issue that I did have was the capture card, but I now have an excellent card called the IDS Falcon. There is still a little bit of an issue with noise, however using DScalers noise reduction filter at a very mild setting works very well removeing noise while not introducing many artifacts. Picture quality from an svideo connected Sony 725D DVD player comes remarkably close to that of a software DVD player. I'm convinced that with a high-end player picture quality would exceed software players (some people think this is impossible). Sky Digital connected via composite is also top notch. The question is how does it compare with other scalers? I can't wait to find out!

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Jeff,

I'm really looking forward to seeing Kryton. I suspect I know how it'll fare against teh Rock and others. We'll see on the day.

Do you have the software that these HTPC guys go on about that lets you dial in miniscule changes to the scan rate. To eliminate judder you have to try something just below 72Hz. I have a feeling that seeing a constant judder may even be preferable to seeing super smooth motion punctuated by a judder that then stands out a mile.

There's now so much to see and set up at the Event it's becoming scary. I had a phone call today from another manufacturer who may participate. If they do then we may all be in for a special treat!!!!!

Gordon

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Yes, the software is Powerstrip 3. I use it to get the funky 848x480 on my Loewe TV. Unfortunatly the Aconda will only run at 60 Hz so I haven't been able to play with the different refresh rates. There is a good thread on avscience regarding 72 Hz. Mark Reyhon points out that the 72Hz used in the Rock isn't 72 but 71.928. This is supposed to be the magic number.

<a href="http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum23/HTML/001374.html" target="_blank">http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum23/HTML/001374.html</a>

Jeff

4. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff, wouldnt mind some advice on dscaler. I had trouble getting it to work with my wintv pvr. Im keen to pump a 300 disc changer through and use the pc to scale it...this what youre doing?

cheers<br />Mike

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I don't think DScaler will work with the PVR, you need a card with a bt8x8 chip like the low end WinTV cards and the ATI TV Wonder. The problem with these cards is that they are cheap, you usually end up with a soft picture and a lot of video noise. What I did was to look for a card from an unusual source, my card the IDS Falcon is design for use with security cameras. The card is small and has 2 composite and 1 s-video inputs, no tuner or sound support. What I do is to use my AVC-A1SE as a video switcher and connect that to the svideo input on the card. DScaler supports composite over svideo so this is the only connection I need. So far I have tried a Sony DVD player, Sky Digital and a Nintendo 64. All work perfectly and the picture is detailed and sharp. It took me quite a while to calibrate the video settings, but I'm now very happy. The main problem was that the Radeon was already tweaked for WinDVD and for a while I couldn't get DScaler to agree with those settings. Then I realised that I was playing with a moving target because DScaler likes quite different settings depending on whether the source is PAL or NTSC. I have fixed this for the moment by having separate versions of DSCaler for each.

Jeff

6. GarryF

GarryF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Another problem with refresh is that the output of the PC will probably not match the refresh rate the display device is detecting. With my PC set to 72 the projector was reporting something like 71.8 or 71.9 (can't remember now)

At the time I interpolated a setting on the PC to give as close to 72 as I could but I still couldn't cure the pan stutter. Still far better that a quadscan though.

Jeff, I also read the post about 71.928, maybe I'll try to get that, problem is even a minor change with CRT means copying a new convergence, so can be a slow process.

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Bear in mind progressively captured material ie material originated on film will exhibit some strobing on certain camera moves ( pans for example) depending on speed.

You would get this if viewing a film print to a similar extent.

8. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Having seen the Kryton at 'the Event' I was amazed to see it hold its own against other certain £12,000 scalers. I had up till then been a bit sceptical about HTPCs, after my own efforts hadn't amounted to much.

I'll definitely have to do some reading up about this!

Kryton seems to have been assembled with loving care and attention. Is it an 'only child' or are there other Krytons to be made commercially available?

Ian Guinan

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too was very impressed with it, Jeff can you tell me where you got the Falcon capture card from please as I'm very interested in getting one. Also where can you get that sound card from (terratec)? Thanks for all the work you put in Jeff, it's a very impressive piece of kit you've got there! I just need to get myself off to quietpc.com etc and start sorting son of kryton out!

Cheers,<br />Andy.

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Hi I just thought I'd pop by before going for a lie down...feeling a bit worse for wear.

Thanks Jeff for bringing Kryton and for staying on hand till the end.

Can I also say that the video processors in the scaler room were all under £7000. I think the Runco is £7000 but will check. It's smaller version with more limited output resolutions is about £1500 cheaper still. It would have performed exactly as the one everyone saw. The Interpolater is nearer £30,000 I think.

More thoughts later,

Gordon