Krell Launches 'Radical' New iBias High-Efficiency Class A Amplifiers - news discussion

Very nice and at £9500 for the seven channel Chorus 7 ,
you could probably buy a car.
Why is it $9500 in the US of A ?

Well, remember that the US price excludes sales tax whereas in the UK retail prices include our sales tax (VAT).

The amp has been exported from the US and the UK importer has had to pay import duty. Not sure what that cost is on amps but I'd guess 6-10%, plus airmail shipping and insurance.

Krell operate through a country distributor. This distributor has to provide a local service and support centre, advertising and promotion and locate and recruit UK retail network as well as make a profit. I'd be guessing that the importers costs might be 40% of US ex factory price.

Now that's not an exact calculation but does point to a substantial price uplift by the time the product reaches the UK market.

I'd be guessing that the importers profit margin might be 40% of US ex factory price.

Fixt that for you ;)

The UK isn't known as Treasure Island for nowt

I would like to see a breakdown of the actual " extra " cost we have to pay in this country for imported items.

Well, why not just compare us price through Google search with UK price. uS price won't tell you what sales tax is because that varies by state.

Import duty should be easy to check.

VAT is 20%

That leaves shipping cost and distributors mark up. Shipping cost dependant on method and quantity (don't forget clearance cost at entry port)

The big unknown is distributors mark up. I've given you a guide number for that in my previous post. For Krell, distributor is Absolute Sounds. Good luck in asking them for details of their mark up.

Oh, I almost forgot, national distributor will need a warranty bucket of maybe 3% to cover local work.

Does that give you the info you need?

upload_2014-3-10_11-56-49.png

Actually my guess of 40% whilst wrongly described as cost! is hardly all profit either. He has marketing costs, overhead costs, local warranty costs etc. whilst Absolute Sounds do their best to make a decent profit, markup is not all profit. Let's just call the 40% "Mark up"

Member 12 promises, does the above give you the info you need? Some feedback would be welcome.

Both Bobbymac and I tried to give you the info you requested or were you asking something else?

Sorry guys did not mean to seem rude,
I work a strange shift pattern.
The info is fantastic and I am sure I will put it to use in due course.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom