1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Krell KSA-80B - whats it worth and is it worth it?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by chrisgeary, Nov 28, 2003.

1. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Anyone heard one of these beasts? Anyone know what one in good condition is worth?

cheers

Chris

2. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  3. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    One for sale @£1300

4. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    thanks a lot gary! :smashin:

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    These should fetch about £1200-1400,so the one agry(thanks Gary for spotting the mis-spelling!) found there is about right.

it was the first of the KSA series amps to rely on convection cooling only,via it's rather impressive array of heatsinks,and really is still a very good amp indeed.
    Most of these deliver considerably in excess of the rated output,and in common with all of that particular series,will double it's power output as the load halves,right the way down to a 1ohm load.

Also,Absolute Sounds will still service these(albeit not cheap),and in terms of reliability,they are pretty much bulletproof...highly recommended(I have a set of the KMA100's,and they've served me extremely well).

Good luck,and happy listening.

6. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    agry?

Who's he then?

Chris, as you can see, there are a couple of Krell fans on this forum.:D

I would be surprised if you were disappointed with the performance of the KSA 80, the only drawback is the amount of heat it generates. Might come in usefull over the winter, it will keep you warm as well as sound good.:zonked:

Let us know how you get on if you decide to get one.

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    LOL,Gary....just can't splel tonight....anyway,having got round that,good to find another krell fan.

I can certainly vouch for the heat aspect,and you can expect something in the order of about 800W of heat from the KSA80...mine do a good job of keeping the room warm and can be a bit of a problem in summer,but nothing I'd think of changing them for(except perhaps a bunch of Levinson 20.5s).

8. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I getting worried about your memory as well:( You've asked me what my amps are in the past.

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Short term memory loss here....you know how it goes...too many burgers over the yrs.....still...KMA's are great for cooking them over.

10. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think it's a sign that those KMA's are turned up too loud.:D

Chris, sorry to hi-jack your thread, the cost of membership to this nut house is a paltry £1300 (peanuts for a Krell), get your skates on and hear what you're missing!

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I think you can probably see Chris,that krell ownership doesnt have to be vastly expensive,and I'm sure you'll find that the sound quality is vastly better than most(if not all)the competition at that price.....I personally can't think of anything new at that price with anything like the drive or control.

12. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can think of something that isnt far away! :p ;) :D

ad

13. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I said anything new at that price,buns!

14. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well new at £1600 ;) Of course i have only a ksa 50 (something like that) as reference

Of course that said, i would have been seriously happy with a krell set up..... i couldnt have done it because there werent enough 2nd hand krells!

ad

15. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    KSA 50 still rates as a very good amp,even 20 odd yrs down the road,and actually to many people sounds better than some of it's newer brethren,in particular the KSA-S series amps.

As I've said before,the only thing that would tempt me to sell my KMA's is a set of Levinson 20.5s,which are also fairly old now,but nothing has their level of bass depth and control,and even some of the new FPB Krells have trouble matching them in the bass....still,that will have to wait until I'm a bit richer!

16. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I actually am in the position where nothing I know really manages to tempt...... The krell sound was something not a million miles from what im used, but I actually ended up preferring my amps. Ive been looking for anything new.... but i really cant figure out anything to upgrade to! :D which i guess is good!

ad

17. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Very lucky position to be in!....I know what I'd move to,and in sound terms very similar to what I already have,basically it's just even more of the same,and explains why I'm very happy with the amps I have,until some 20.5s appear(hopefully).

18. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    buns, what amps have you got? (I think you already told me in another thread somewhere, but i can't remember - mods please rename this thread 'AV amnesia')

dont worry about hijacking.. makes life more interesting :D DISCLAIMER: writer does not mean hijacking in general. Lifts can go down as well as up. Your house is at risk if you set fire to it

the KSA-80 - its sooo tempting.. but a little out of my grasp money-wise. i've found a couple of meridian 505s, one of which i have had to just buy (for £350) and the other i will audition, along with the other one, later this week. total cost of the two will be IRO £750-£800

i've heard two Krells in my short time on this planet, the KAV300i, and the 300cx (I think). I borrowed the 300i and wired it up to my dynaudio 122s. I found it rather harsh in the midrange/treble - I have also heard the same amp on some Nautilus 800s and found it to be more harsh when compared to a Talk integrated. A friend of mine has the 300cx hooked up to (the same) Nautilus 800s and while it wasn't harsh, it was possibly a little *too* precise for my tastes. Definitely better than the 300i - perhaps the pre-amp stage of the 300i is to blame.

Perhaps I've been living with low-end hifi for so long that I don't recognise quality when i hear it! :eek: Nah, I do, I lurve my 506 cd player :kisses::kisses::kisses:

i've always had a thing for meridian, so i'm hoping that the monoblocs will have the power and current to drive my 122s well but will also have the smoothness and refinement i know from my 506.24. if it turns out that they aren't that great, then ill keep the single monobloc i have committed to for centre channel duties and come back to you with a sheepish grin :smashin:

19. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Chris,for what it's worth,the KSA80 is a totally different beast to the KAV series Krells....one was designed with sound quality as the number one factor,the other,to be fair,whilst very good overall,was designed to a relative budget,and isn't fully Class A....the sound quality difference does show,as the KSA80 is much smoother.

20. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    my amps are from a company called Korato.......there is a UK distributor listed on their site but they basically ignored me once they found i bought the a;ps prior to their distribution....... a bit daft really since i was asking advice on what they would recommend for a related upgrade :rolleyes:

but i would recommend a listen if you ever get the chance

ad