1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Krell + dynaudios, what next?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Buckland, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Buckland

Buckland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got some dynaudio 72s which seemed too much for my old aura 50 amp.

So bought a 2nd hand krell kav300i for £930. Difference is huge. Has the muscle to really whip those babies into line! Especially in the base.

So now have a dyn 72, kav300i, rega planet cd set-up.

What next? my cables/interconnects etc are nothing special. Would a cd upgrade make much difference.

What about seperation (squash balls etc), speaker levelling, placement.

Just looking for some tips to make the sound even better.....

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Decoupling the speakers from the floor using spikes can be very helpful.

As for interconnects and speaker leads...what are you using at present?.....I've found that Kimber leads go very well with Krells,and have used those for some years now,from power leads right through to speaker leads.

3. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I'd look at upgrading your CD. It doesn't matter how good the amp or speakers are if it doesn't get passed on at source. General concensus seems to be to spend the most on your source. Why not look at something like the Meridian 507. It's available new for a pretty decent price if you shop around as it's been/being replaced.

4. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Have you considered room acoustic treatment? I've an Arcam + Dynaudio setup and have spent a fair amount of time and money on cables, stands, etc, but none of that made anywhere near as big an improvement as treating the front wall and side walls with absorptive panels.

5. Buckland

Buckland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies.

PLaying around with speaker position certainly helps. Might look at cables next, Then save up for a better cd.

I'm less inclined to buy a cd 2nd hand (mechanical parts/warranties/technology moves faster than amps etc).

Is that sensible, do you have any tips for around 800-1000k. Apparently the cyrus is good.