1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Krell 300IL voltage conversion?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by seanc, Aug 27, 2003.

1. seanc

seanc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Does anyone know how I can get my Krell 300IL integrated amp recently purchased from the US converted to take UK mains.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers in advance

Sean.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    A suggestion....contact Absolute Sounds (www.absolutesounds.com ) who are the UK Krell importers for any advice they may have on the topic.

I don't know if this model has a power supply capable of autosensing input voltage and frequency,so would suggest the above,as it's certainly not a cheap piece of equipment.

3. seanc

seanc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I tried to e-mail absolute sounds but got a mail delivery failure!!

Either they are using another e-mail address and haven't bothered updating their website or have vanished without a trace??

Any other suggetsions then?

Cheers

Sean

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Try their telephone no.....02089713909..I've just rung them and they'd be very happy to help...ask for the service dept....they can and have done voltage conversions on Krell gear obviously,but offhand I don't know if yours requires that,or autosenses the voltage.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Any luck?....hope it all worked out well...

6. seanc

seanc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Yes they can convert it for about £450 - £490 !!

Wow!

Better get saving then.

Cheers

Sean

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Yes.....well....better than a suitably rated external transformer,but still a nasty surprise!.....you will find unfortunately that nothing associated with Krell/Levinson etc is cheap,but they are amazingly reliable and the sound quality is superb,even from the KAV series,when compared to the FPBs or earlier KSA's....good luck.

8. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm sure that the KAV-300i is converted by a jumper setting (or something very similar) - not sure about the 300il though - may be worth opening it up and having a look before you pay £450!!

It's not like you'll invalidate your warranty - Absolute Sounds won't honour the warranty on a US model anyway!

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Assuming that seanc hasn't already had it converted,before opening the amp up it would be well worth checking that warranty issue with both Absolute Sounds,and Krell,especially if the 300iL was a new purchase,as if there is any warranty at all,it will be invalidated by opening it and fiddling around inside.
    Also,I can't imagine even Absolute Sounds(whom I know aren't cheap)will charge £450+ for changing a jumper setting....I've always found them very helpful in managing simple servicing issues with my Krells at no cost to myself(i.e.how to clean the colloing fans without a trip to AS....very good service I thought).