Kramer's VERY happy - his SONY VPL-HS10 has arrived!

:eek: for s-video your screen shots look bl**dy amazing, as for the colours :eek:
Kramer, Are you modifying your AE100 mount or are you going for a new one?

Kramer

Just saw your screen shots.....WOW.

I bought an HS10 today and would like to go down the HCPC route to get as clear an image as possible.

Could you give me the specs of your computer ie graphics and sound card and also the software you are running.

Does the sound of the computer fans intrude on the film sound track more than the noise from the projector.

Cant wait to get this thing set up.

Originally posted by Timh
:eek: for s-video your screen shots look bl**dy amazing

Hi Tim,

It looks even better "in the flesh" as it were.

New mounting arrangement I'm afraid - old "telescopic" AE-100 mount is now retired & a new "modified" wall mount is now employed. From calculations etc... I envisaged this, & hope for an "out of room" PJ mount - hence noise free. New 8" screen required for this though, but this PJ demands something bigger!

New mount arrangement pictured below.

Originally posted by Klippie
Could you give me the specs of your computer ie graphics and sound card and also the software you are running

Hi Klippie,

Those screenshots are via S-video - awaiting a new longer DVI (maybe VGA) cable at the mo. Now mounted I can't connect my PC to the HS-10 :(. Tomorrow hopefully.

Does the sound of the computer fans intrude on the film sound track more than the noise from the projector

Well if you noticed Comor's recent "I flooded my PC" thread, you'll notice I'm watercooled. CPU/GPU/Nth/bridge are all watercooled & the 550w PSU is also modded & is absolutely whisper quiet. There is NO noise whatsoever from my PC - absolutely silent.

Spec is:

AMD XP2400+ @ 2.5gHz(XP3100+ equalivent)
Epox 8K5A2+
512mb Ram @ 205FSB
Radeon 9700Pro @ 415/730mHz.
2x80gb WD SEs in raid 0.
XP Pro/Power DVD 4.0/Zoomplayer front end/Audigy 2/PCTV Rave/Dscaler.

No fans in the room - the res/rad/2x120mm fans (@5v) are exterior to the building :eek: Ultra performance & ultra quiet.

Consequencely ANY noise is noticeable in the room - hence the HS-10 fan noise is a problem. Slightly more noticeable than the AE-100, but not too bad. Working on riding myself of all extraneous noise, so either W/Cool the PJ or remove it from the room. The latter looks more likely (Comer ;) ).

Some small pics of my mounting arrangement/Usual Suspects below.

Some pics of my mounting arrangement:
My%20HS-10%20058%20wall%20mounted.jpg

My%20HS-10%20057%20wall%20mounted%20darker.jpg

Here's one taken in darkness showing the "snazzy" illuminated (switchable) Sony logo on the top (bottom if ceiling mounted):
My%20HS-10%20065%20wall%20mount%20-%20logo%20showing

A shot from The Usual Suspects (NTSC).
My%20HS-10%20071%20usual%20suspects%20screenshot.jpg

Notice how "darker" Gabriel Byrnes hair seems against the white background versus the difference between the "overspill" area caused by a 2.35:1 image on a 1.85:1 screen.

All via S-video on a 92" diagonal screen.

More to come..................DVI................unbelieveable :eek:

Kramer

No wonder it makes more noise than the AE100 :eek: look at the size of them fans on the top photo, is one the intake and the other the out-take fan?
Nice tv bracket, hope you don't bang your head when entering the room :D
My Brother recently fitted his PLV-30 over his door, on the other side though to reduce fan noise to virtually zero.

Hi Kramer good work on the posts

Need ya help m8

Just got my HS10 today it looks fantastic BUT
it seems to have alot of red`y colour to it with the filter on

I have my settings at

Cinama black ON
Filter ON
Black Level Adj High
Medium
Dynamic
Contrast 80
Colour 45
Bright 50
sharp 80

i have entered the service menu (enter,enter,left,enter,up)

what settings fo you need to change and where
herd you need to change the RGB bias And RGB Gain where are the settings for this what is your setup

Tried blade 2 some detail lost uped the bright and the blacks started to go redy what are the best seting for this projector ???

thanks for the help m8

Kramer all I can say is: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The more companies bring out cheap projectors like this the better it will be for all of us!

S-vid pics look stunning, and screendoor..........:eek:

Can't compare the Sanyo Z1 properly without seeing them side by side, but screendoor will be the big winner on the HS10 (although the HS10 is really another price bracket up the ladder, so it should be better).

I would have bought one except for:

1. the price (yes I know it's cheap, but the Z1 was as far as my budget would stretch).

2. lense throw. Due to my living room, I need a projector with a short lense throw

3. Fan noise is irksome to me, not sure I would be happy with anything louder than the Z1 now (although saying that I wouldn't have heard the Z1 in the first place if going for the HS10, so would have been perfectly happy).

I'm still stunned by the screendoor pics.....DLP quality, with none of the DLP drawbacks!

Now all I have to do is totally AVOID seeing one of these in action over the next 12 months, otherwise I'll start picking my Z1's performance to bits:D

btw Kramer, post some more pics...:D

ok mate! what do you think of the pokey wee little filters under the thing?

my units upto 176 hours now and the filter is looking a bit grubby, it states in my manual it will come up on the screen when its time to replace the filter, obviously its just a set time and it cant tell how grotty the filter is.

If I vacuum this thing will it break down the filter a bit and make it not filter out the smaller bits? Yes I have the spare filter, but I dont want to be spending 70 bucks every 2 months on a new filter!:eek:

HS10 1251QM stuff

Damn you Kramer:D I'm feeling all inadequate.:D Its gonna be another 3 or 4 years before I'll be able to afford to make you jealous!:D Jammy B..........:D

Hi Calibos,

Don't worry, there's still almost 100 AE100 owners here !!

BTW how many hours are you up to now ?

Sean G.

Dum, dum, dum...........another one bites the dust-filter!

Lo Ritz,
Up to 2487 hours on low lamp. I think Panasaonic should give me a prize (ie an AE300!!:D ) for the 'most hours on a non-demo unit in the world' award.

DVI cable arrived today ;)

Hooked it up (it's 7.5m) & tried 1360x768 @ 56Hz to the HS-10 (PC/PJ refuse to send/accept 1366x768).

The HS-10 accepts this resolution though as #51 - 1366x768, & enters "widescreen" mode. Still has the black border/overscan effect though.

Works flawlessly. No interference/artifacts etc...

Off out now (may possibly return very drunk!), but will post some screenies later.

Looking good :eek:

BTW, anyone know where to source a CC40R filter? Spent an hour on the phone earlier without success :mad:

Oh yes, let the tweaking commence :)

Well, just in. Decided to be party poopers & leave early. Too tired :)cool: :cool: :cool: ) to post.

The DVI picture is :eek: unbelieveble :eek: .

Some screenshots tomorrow hopefully, but those impressed with the S-video shots - you ain't seen nothing yet.

More soon.

I'm looking for some quality DVI cables myself, and since you are satisfied with yours I was wondering if you could tell me where did you buy them from....
Thanks,

Julia

Kramer,

Thanks for the info, I hope they have shops in UK too.

I hardly wait to see those DVI pictures you promised:D

Julia

Here you go!

From Hollowman (NTSC - Superbit).
screenshots%20hs10%20022%20smaller.jpg

screenshots%20hs10%20020%20smaller.jpg

From The Fifth Element (NTSC - Superbit).
screenshots%20hs10%20030%20smaller.jpg

screenshots%20hs10%20032%20smaller.jpg

The same Shrek shot as earlier on S-video, now via DVI.
screenshots%20hs10%20038%20smaller.jpg

All just cropped/resized.

VERY indepth/informative review of the HS-10 here .

The pictures don't really do DVI justice. Even capturing at 3.1 mega pixels, there's compression in the uploading process & of course the "viewing" monitor limitations.

But IMO the best "bit" from these is in the 2nd Fifth Element shot. Not obviously a good choice but for the yellow Taxi sign.

The yellow/white lettering is 100% pure, with razor sharp & crisp lines around the lettering. The sign really jumps off the screen it is so vivid/realistic.

If fact it's one of the best scenes for me when evaluating some aspects of PQ.

There's no jaggies/stairstepping whatsoever :eek:

I've uploaded the bigger versions (all approx 1mb). If anyone wants the urls I can post them.

My God man! What did you do to you HS10 to make it perform like that? Just DVI? Those are remarkable screenshots. Incredible quality. Thanks so much, can't wait to get my hands on an HS10.

Originally posted by Kramer
I've uploaded the bigger versions (all approx 1mb). If anyone wants the urls I can post them.

C'mon stop making us beg. We all know you can't really tell anything from photos like these but OF COURSE we want to see them as big as possible. Just post the url.

Please. :D

-Kevin.

Kramer,

Are you using Cinema Black On or Off? Is there a big difference? How about the difference in fan noise using these 2 settings?
Any news on how much a replacement lamp costs?

You tried svideo and dvi, have you tried a standard monito/vga cable?

-Kevin.

Hi desibeo,

Originally posted by desibeo
Are you using Cinema Black On or Off? Is there a big difference? How about the difference in fan noise using these 2 settings?
Any news on how much a replacement lamp costs?

You tried svideo and dvi, have you tried a standard monito/vga cable?

Use the HS-10 with "cinema black" on & the supplied "cinema filter" is fitted. It's far more noisy in "full" power mode, but the extra brightness isn't required for HC use - it also detracts from the black level.

AFAIK, bulb seems to be listed in the US @ $249.

Not tried standard VGA, as a special Sony "multi - breakout" cable is required for VGA.

Will post those urls (& a few extra) later.

Hi all - got my HS10 a couple of weeks ago - 35 hrs and counting and I would like to chip in. I paid approx. 22.000 Danish kr. (£1750-£1800) incl. shipment, japanese bankingfee, danish VAT and insurance. I bought it from PriceJapan - excellent service and price! :D

I should mention that i saved some 900 Dkr (£70) by paying PJ in yen instead of dollars. :D

My overall setup:
90" 16:9 matte white screen.
1.7-1.8 screenwidth sittingdistance.
10 m. component cable.

I agree with you guys - Kramer and Dan18 - the overall PQ of this baby is just awesome! Detail, contrast and lumens is superb. Black is not 'black' though and problaly never will. LCD's are known for 'poor' blackreproduction (this is my third LCD projector), but that said, I'm very satisfied with the blacks and shadowdetail of this projector.

As you said the fannoise is a bit too loud in cinemablack - I agree. Although I only notice the fan in quiet moments, I expected the fannoise of the HS10 to be just sligthly lower than it is. But considering the overall qualityimpression of the HS10, it dosen't matter a bit. I too have no dead pixels - even if I had, I'd have trouble finding them - they are soo TINY! :p

After hours of tweaking, my settings are:

Cinama black ON
Cinema Filter ON
Black Level Adj Low (enough shadowdetail and good blacklevel)
Picture: Standard (pure true bright whites, spot-on fleshtones!)
Contrast 80
Colour 50
Bright 50
sharp 60
Color temp: Middle
DDE: Film (crisp, razorsharp image)

Servicemenu:
R Offset 211 (standard)
B Offset 209 (to compensate for the Cinema filter)
G Offset 209 (to compensate for the Cinema filter)

There's a lot of settings in here, and I haven't had the time to check most of them out yet - don't think it's necesary anyway.....

These settings can be found under the 'Panel Driver' menu in the servicemenu ;)

Later, I'll have more info to post and sometime next week I'll try borrow a camera and post screenshots/pictures of pj, backwall mount etc. if anyone desires...? :p

Anyone with questions, feel free to ask anything!:)

BTW: Has anyone seen Resident Evil on their HS10 yet - saw it a couple of days ago and the PQ was simply awesome!

Enjoy!

- Thomas :):):)

BTW Kramer: While playing with the sideshot feature when I got the HS10, I discovered that when activated, one of the images corners (when trapozoid-shaped) 'swallowed' some of the 16 px line area you were so curious about. So I guess it's extra px's reserved for the sideshot feature.;)

I don't remember who asked but concerning sideshot - avoid it if possible - there is a slight PQ reduction and the 'black' 16px lines surrounding the image, get a trapozoid shape - it dosen't look very nice... I'm using a bit of vertical keystoning though and haven't noticed any loss of PQ at all.:)

- Thomas

Originally posted by Kramer
Not tried standard VGA, as a special Sony "multi - breakout" cable is required for VGA.

Damn. I went and bought a 10ft vga cable in preparation for this as my current graphics card doesn't have DVI. :(

Anyone have any links to this multi-breakout cable so I can be ready with one of these? I bet they took the opportunity to up the price since they're a Sony exclusive. :mad:

Will post those urls (& a few extra) later.

I'll send my thanks now. Thanks. :)

-Kevin.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom