1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kramer's HT1000 Review!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Kramer, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is here.

Loads of screenshots etc. for those interested.

:)

2. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Great review Kramer.

3. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great reveiw, very interesting reading!!

Soooo tempted by this especially at £1999 ex vat. I currently have a panny ae100 (my first PJ) and am massivly impressed with it.

Just need to get together the 2.3K needed!!

4. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Yeah, the Panny AE100 is a great machine for the price. Mind you, if I ever win the lottery :)

5. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in possession of the same HT1000 at the moment and agree with Kramers detailed review of this piece of Kit.

The blacks are the best I have seen on a projector, next to a CRT and once you get engrossed in a film there is so much detail in dark scenes, you tend to forget about the dark grey borders.

As far as rainbows go, I see them more frequently that when I first saw the projection in action, probably because I am looking for the effect, however, they do not bother me in any way as they are not as frequent or as easy to spot as say panel noise or vertical banding.

The only negetives for me are the offset and the resolution. In 4:3 mode with the projector about 7 feet off the ground, part of the projected image is on the floor, this projecter seems to have been designed to fit almost directly on the ceiling, however placement can be sorted out quite easily. Its just not as simple as a couple of inches below the top or the bottom of the screen.

Resolution is the biggest issue for me, I can see the stair stepping on edges in many scenes, and I cant stop looking for it, if I was less interested on the perfect picture, I probably would not notice it, but I do. I would love to try an anamorphic lens from these guys... http://www.prismasonic.com/index.asp. This lens allows all the pixels in the 4:3 image to be used and morphed into a 1024*576 panel area. The effect is to squeeze more pixels into a smaller area. The effect is to reduce screendoor effect significently and to increase brightness slightly. A 33% increase in pixels when viewing a 16:9 image would be a very interetsing thing to see.

With a the next generation of high resolution panels on the way, they clearly beat the HT1000 in image resolution quality, but none come near the NEC for contrast ratio, so are unlikely to be able to produce the same pleasing image. If a low cost anamorphic lens can give a noticible increase in image res, it will be holding off the new kids on the block for a long time to come.

With the NEC's very generous 3 year warrenty vs most of the rest with 1 year warrenty, this is a major plus point. Projectors returns are very much higher the most people expect, this is from a UK AV installer who was over setting up projectors for a conferece in the RDS. He got a flat tyre and called into the the company I work for for assistance. For some manufacturers the return rate for LCD projectors was over 50%, that sony Uk were a pain to deal with and would not admit that there was any problems with the HS10 amoung other things.

He was adament about the very high return rate on LCD projectors and that DLP was far more robust and had never had a problem with a DLP for over 18 months.

V.

6. Aero

Aero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very impressive review Kramer, thx!!
    Were there any defocus on Hs10 or/and the HT1000 on this screenshot comparision ?

You can se the stair stetepping less visible with the anmorphic lens attached to the HT1000 on this screenshot
    http://filmhemma.com/prismasonic_screenshots.htm

With this lens and slightly defocus i don't think screendoor would be any problem.

oh btw there exist digital projector having better pixel resolution than HS10, i.e LCoS=> silky picture =)

Any chance for a HD2 test ?

7. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Kramer

Would something as simple as a ProV improve the stepping and screendoor effect. It makes a huge difference on my AE100. Screendoor is just not an issue. Mind you I am sat about 14-15' away from the screen.

Chris

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Great words, Kramer. Chris, you are lucky with your pro-v and ae100, I tried one with my 1st setup, resulted in hued and very subdued colours, though as sharp as a new pin. Your lack of screendoor is probably down to your viewing distance, with 840 pixels you need to be 1.5 or preferably 2x screen width away.

9. spanx

spanx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought an HT1000 from nexnix and I am VERY impressed. I had demoed a couple of cheaper LCD units and been relatively unimpressed with the contrast levels, but this thing is great. It's even usable in light conditions.

I cannot wait to move in to my new place and get the projector set up properly with the imminent AV receiver and speakers

10. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Maw

Was that with an AE100?

When I first had mine set up i was initially disappointed. Spoke to some of the other guys on the list who gave me some of the settings they used. worked a treat. Special thanks to Sean G there.

The ability to change the resolution really does make a difference to the image, even though there are physically no extra pixels on screen.

Chris

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, have seen those pics before. Hard to evaluate how acurate they are, but if they are representitive of the improvement, then it looks like a winner.

Looking into lenses at the moment - will report back if I get any info.

:smoke:

12. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am kicking myself that I returned the HT1000 earlier this week. The main issue I had was that I could see the pixel structure on my 8 foot screen from my current seating position of approx 12 feet.

The addition of an anamorphic lens increases the number of pixels being used for 16:9 images by 33% over the standard image which in theory would mean a reduction of of pixel structure by 1/3. However, I felt that its was not worth paying over 640 euros ( 445 of your english pounds :) ), if it did not work well or indeed reduced the image quality. In addition its a bit of an unsightly looking item, if it turned out to be a bit of a dud.

While browsing the prismasonic site again last night in their order procedure section they have a 2 week approval period, if you are not satisfied, return the lens and they will refund the cost of the lens!.... very generous, why could I not have spotted that while I still had the pj, the cost of postage would have been a small price to pay to see it in action even if it did not do as it claims! sigh..

So anyone with a HT1000, looking to squeeze a bit more performance and extend its non-upgraditis life span, could do worse than try this lens. If I had the machine in my mitts again, I sure would... That image quality, the cr... the shadow detail... ability to watch 4:3 and very importantly, long life expenctancy, why do I regret it... dam it was a fine machine.

Would it be too cheeky to ask for it back for a lens test?

Comon Kramer, get a lens test sorted!.... :)

13. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Does the rainbow effect only bother me on this pj?
    Demo'd yesterday but only caught the effect near the end when moving eyes across screen,also felt a bit headachey?

Phil

14. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    The rainbow effect normally diminishes over time. Whether due to your eyes/brain getting used to the image or whether due to you not 'looking' for it I'm not sure is known but if you only saw it very infrequently I would say it will get better.

Don't think you'll ever do away with it completely but doubt it will continue to spoil your viewing enjoyment based on what you said above.

15. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Cheers, awesome picture as well on this pj,star wars 2 as well fantastic

16. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    just been to av-sales for a quick butchers, what a projector this is,
    AWESOME.

Now to convince the evil one......

17. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, an excellent projector :smashin:

Making progress on the anamorphics lens front. Will update in due course ;)

18. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    So,

took 'evil one' to av-sales,demo'd both 300 and 1000 AND panny 6 plasma,and she says about the plasma'oh,isn't it small!' :)
    Then took me by total surprise with'lets get the biggest screen we can?'

HAHA ht1000 is calling me.......
    Home Cinema nirvana.....
    Now about screens.........?

Phil