1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kramer's AE100 has gone! He's VERY sad!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Kramer, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys.

My AE-100 found a new home tonight :(

Been away travelling for the last few weeks, no time to post but kept an eye on proceedings here.

Need to have a word with Comer for implicating me in one of the webs most recent windups.

So tonight, first night in eons it seems, I find myself without a large screen :clown:

But never fear, something's afoot. Something new & improved is winging it's way towards me.

WXGA, DVI etc...........................................................................

Will report more next week, after a "play" with my new toy.

Until then, Comer, theritz, TimH & fellow FPHC enthusiasts - Kramer's BACK in the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Phew ! Relief !

Glad to see you posting again - thought you had fallen into a particularly large pothole I heard of around Horse and Jockey.

Well well, big screen - less, are we ? I thought I'd go mental waiting for my pj to return from its sojourn in dead land, and there you go depriving yourself deliberately ! Glad you got a result in the end - PM me with the gory details.

What's it to be then ??? HS10 ??? Will you out do Smurfin for the Avforums Gloating and Crowing "I've got a New Projector and It's better than all yours" Award ???? (;) Matt) ???? Or are you going to grow up, be a real man, Get A CRT !!!!!! :D :D (no tearing at 75HZ, Comer ;) )

Anyhow, less of the coy posting - spit it out, what are you getting ?

A beer-fuelled post from

Your brother in Chri$t,

Sean G.

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hic !!

Mmmmmmmmmm...........:blush:

Sean G.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sean,

Bit ****ed at the moment - visitors here from the UK at the mo.

Yep, AE-100 sold to a local guy here in Limerick for €1650 (£1030 for all you UK peeps). Didn't rip him off - cost me >€2000 & is perfect with no dead/open pixels - he's most pleased after viewing several PJs in the last weeks, inc mine for several hours on 2 occasions

As for what I'm getting I'll have to keep you all in suspense. Sufficeth to say it'll be here by Tuesday & all will be revealed by then.

Can't wait

:p

All Irish HC enthusiasts to Limerick then :D

Comer!, I want a word with you ;)

5. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    LOL:D

I never said it was better than anyone else's, I've just been chuffed with how damn fine a projector it is.....at the price point:D

God could you imagine if I got a CRT projector:devil::devil: :devil: I think I'd single-handedly drive them all out of the CRT forum;)

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Kramer

Welcome back! Hope you haven't been living at work to pay for your new Toy ;)
    Just think, it should last a good 9 month's before you decide to catch the upgrade bug again :devil: ;)
    :eek: its too early.

7. obiwan

obiwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Not bad at all but how many hours on the lamp?

I just got ae100 from koplett and Im absolutely thrilled. ProV coming and 7ft screen.

I done a check for DP and cant find any but it is my first venture into PJ. Im pleased I never got RPTV in the end.

Another quandry raised in this thread though, would you pay a little more than than cheapest retail for a PJ that has been used for a number of hours but PROVEN to have no DP.

Anyone know if I can get a cheaper ProV than 99ukp?

regards

8. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Kramer,

Ha ! My bet's on a HS10 from Pricejapan. That was a decent price for the AE100, especially give that the guy got to see it perfect and in action at its best.

Hey Smurfin !

Just pulling your leg m8, I'd love to see the Z1 in action. For God's sake don't go getting a CRT, I want to be the first to desert ! :D

Tim,

Up early again, aren't we ??? What's it this time - building a conservatory ? ;)

Obiwan,

£99 is a good price for a ProV - you should be impressed with the result.

Bye all,

Sean G.

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    ssssshhhhhhh don't mention that, my Mrs has been bugging me for a while for a Conservatory.
    Sooner spend the money on more HC kit :D

10. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tim,

Know exactly what you mean...

A loft conversion is my current favourite topic - our loft could house a 24' x 14' room !!! What a HC that would make ! :D

Not so sure about sloping walls, though, but a Mortgage top-up for the loft conversion could easily encompass some dosh for new equipment....:blush:

See ya

Sean G.

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The guy who bought my AE-100 has a dedicated music/HC area.

It's behind his main dwelling & was built as a "granny flat" for his mother years ago. Unfortunately she died before it was completed, but he now has a 28x16ft space, centrally heated/insulated & empty apart from his audio equipment which is hidden behind a false wall at the front.

Get the idea - he has the ideal "blank canvass". I'd love to have what he has, but won't until we build our own place in the coming year or two - will have a "mens room" external to the main house for HC etc...

Obiwan,

£990 from Komplett is a great price, but I'd certainly pay the same or even a little more for a perfect unit I could see running before purchase. I initially had a stuck open blue pixel (& several other faults) which drove me mad - took me months to get a replacement unit. Hence seeing/checking personally before purchase counts a great deal, especially in LCD PJ terms.

The AE-100 is still not available here really - you have to seek them out. An then the price is a whopping €2699 (£1600) :eek: , peats.ie just being one example. This with no guarantee of a pixel perfect unit.

The buyer has viewed several PJs in the last weeks, inc. a Plus DLP & said that mine produced by far the best picture.

So he's happy, I'm happy(ish - want my new toy!) & it's good to be back.

Thanks Tim & Sean for the welcome back, but mine's better than yours
    :p :p :p

;)

12. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kramer said originally
    I bet that it's an AE300 then!!!:D :p

13. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope :p

14. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard that rumour that you guys in Ireland will get HD in the next year and so you went for HS-10!:p

15. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD - would that be highly drunk ?

If so we've had that for years :p

HS10 - Sony is it??? Not heard much about it TBH. Is it any good?

:)

16. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  17. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sh!te !!! I just burnt some toast 'cause I was catching up on this thread !!!:eek:

Mmmmmmmm.... Yours is better than ours then, Kramer ?

I'm still heavy on a HS10 - he's been suffering from pixel-envy with the AE100 and that (now infamous - credit to Comer) water-cooled rocket launcher he's got........

Has he possibly been persuaded by Smurfins hyperbole and opted for the Z1 ?????, pixel perfection via DVI to HS10 still seems elusive.....

I'm torn between ignoring this thread any further because the git won't come clean, and continuing to probe, being victim to that Irish peculiarity of having a burning and irresistable desire to know everything about you neighbours !!!:D

That guy's set-up sounds brill, Kramer, I think I'm happy for now with my garage conversion sized movie room - noise leakage from an attic conversion would probably be too much hassle, and I'm a bit on the tall side for most attics I've been in....... the thought of liberating some dough and going CRT is very tempting though......

I wonder has Kramer been talking to Roland ? ?;)

See ya,

Sean G.

18. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    :eek: its here already then? or are you just dreaming ;)
    At a guess its the HS10, Kramer's been sniffing round that one for some time now.
    You should have kept the AE100 to compare to the HS10, then you could have had "Kramer vs. Kramer" :blush:

19. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    LOL :D :D !!

Nice one, Tim.

Sean G.

20. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, not here yet Tim

:cool:

Would have been nice, & having visitors doesn't help either - nothing to look at bar a blank white screen :eek:, but when the cash was there I had to take it. I, as you know, had NO luck with a sale here - even before Komplett intervened, & an add in a national publication resulted in only 1 serious buyer (actually had another enquiry - so 2 in total!!!!!!!) I was VERY lucky in the end.

:D ;) :cool:

21. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sean,

:p :p :p

Now you gotta be takin the pi*s Sean............nothing against the Z1, but to coin a phrase from THE best Irish TV quiz show....
    "that's not the answer".

How dare you :mad: I take GREAT personal care of my hygiene - have a shower at least once a year, though in fairness I may have to look at this again now. Soap is getting expensive here & I'm a little broke after shelling out >€7000 in the last few weeks.

I'm sorry Sean, but under the terms of an NDA I'm not at liberty to talk at the moment :p

BTW, had a look at that url you PM'ed me, nice.

I wouldn't mind a look see myself. If you're travelling up in the new year LMK, could possibly arrange something.

I could bring along my new..................cr*p, nearly let it slip there :clown: .

Chat soon :p

22. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Kramer,

No reply to my PM - I'm disgusted....:mad: :mad:

7000 euros...... mmmmm...... thats 12HT kinda money, I'd say !!

See ya,

Sean G.

23. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy a lot of toast for that much Sean ;)

All €7000 wasn't for the PJ upgrade :cool:

Give you a hint: it's been mentioned in a thread in which I posted in the last few days.

:p

24. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    HS2? Naaaaaaaaa... not enough res for Kramer, HS10?

25. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll never talk. You'll not break me.

Giddy up ;)

26. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tim,

Have you seen NEO UK's assessment of the HS2 in comparison to his HS1 ? An objective and technical tour de force !!:D

Nah, can't see Kramer with one of those - not enough dosh for the 12HT, or a Sim (can't see him putting up with rainbows, not unless there was a pot of gold at the end of it ;) ), might be a TW100 or Yamaha clone from Pricejapan ? Would he buy sight unseen again after his first AE100 experience ? Mmmmm - leaves a very narrow field......

Just spotted Kramers other post, oh bums, he's flipped, he's singing stuff from "Annie" !!

See ya,

Sean G.

27. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cat fight, cat fight....

I can do other stuff - any requests???

:cool:

28. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Cat fight ??? Oh no, just can't bear seeing someone ******ing on someone elses parade !! Unless its you m8, I can tell you, I haven't seen this much teasing since I saw this stripper in a little joint in Firth Street...... but that's a Whole 'nother story.

The denouement had better be good (hers was - I never knew a lady could do such a thing with a Coke bottle, a cigarette and a paper and comb, better than the Berlin Philharmonic, it was) - nothing less than a First for the Forums, a full technical lowdown, blow by blow with all the relevant chapter references from everyones favourite "difficult" dvds, a special dispensation from Lynx to post screenshots (they'll be crap anyway, but we have to see them this time) and THEN,

We'll all post saying we've seen this thing that a mate's built, with a 14' Bush portable telly, two mirrors, a really big flashlamp, an old fishtank, and one of them things your granny uses for reading "Irelands Own" ( a Friendless lens ??) and, Hey, Its MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIles better that your new projector !!!

HA !

Sean G.

29. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    theritz

I can do Kramer a really good deal on a 14" Panasonic portable tv and one of these :)

Attached Files:

30. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tim,

Oh Yesssssss !

Those new Radeon cards come with TV out, don't they ? He'll be made up !!!

Now my mate's one, it uses the two mirrors inside a totally black box to split the image into two separate identical images with no light loss whatsoever - in fact he polished the sh!te out of them first so he reckons they're giving about 1.3 gain ( thats 234 ft lamberts, according to the calculations he's done after reading up on the Bush Website). These two separate images bounce off the opposite sides of the fishtank, into which the very bright flashlamp is shining (this adds more brightness, while the slightly tinted glass of the fishtank increases the contrast) and the whole shebang shines through the friendless lens - in a totally dark room, he's projecting a 200" diagonal picture on his living room wall, and its so bright that his missus has to wear her polaroids when she's watching Coronation Street. Its absolutely brilliant, and it cost - nothing !! he robbed the lense off a crony of his aforementioned granny in the old folks home, the telly and the fishtank came from the refit of the local chipper, as did the mirrors and plywood offcuts to hold the whole lot together.

I'm convinced that this is the way forward, the ingenious thing is that by splitting the image in two, there's a subtle null-cancelling effect (at least thats what I think he called it) which eliminates all traces of scanlines and other artifacts - in effect the picture is line-doubled, just like the very best that Mr Faroudja can offer.

I'm certain that Kramer is going to be absolutely gutted when he sees my mate's set-up. I mean, all those ads on Ebay, with all those positive feedbacks...... and there's my mate, ingeniously improving on it.......

(Btw, can you imagine what that bloomin' zebra would really look like ??)

Sean G.