1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kramer - modded Q-Tec?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by owain_thomas, May 8, 2003.

1. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi kramer,

I have just bought one of those Q-Tec 550W PSUs from Maplin (on offer) and I saw in this post that you said you'd modded one to make it quieter, did you post details of this mod? If not is there any chance you could, I'd be very interested in doing similar.

Thanks
    Owain

2. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Me too...my current one is struggling...and i was gonna order one from ebuyer...might aswell order some fans if it needs modding.

or i might go for the hiper 420ts @ £40

3. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, missed this thread.

Yep, mods include replacing the (snazzy looking but loudish) fans with a couple of quieter units. I used 2x 80mm case fans I had lying around - can't remember the make, but they were very quiet at 12v anyway.

I then modded them to run at 5v (relocated the connections inside the PSU) so they're now practically silent.

I also braided the main cable harness, fitted a main switch on the back & added some big aluminum heatsinks to those fitted, just to be sure.

Result? Near perfect 5 & 12v rails with a heavily o/c'ed CPU & GPU running loads of hardware 24/7 with no problems.

But even modding the existing fans to 5 or 7v should be enough to quieten this PSU.

Be very careful modding a PSU. Make sure the capacitors are fully discharged before opening & DON'T even attempt any modifications unless you're confident you know what you're doing!

Had to add the disclaimer, no reflection on any contributors to this thread, but better safe than sorry.

:smoke:

5. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How do u discharge the capicitors?? and are the fan connections a plug type or soldered on the PSU?..i'll order the 450w one and get some quiet fans for it.

thxs m8:smashin:

6. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    @kramer,

thanks for the reply, did changing the voltage of the fans require re-soldering or is it a simple job (like modding a molex to give 5 or 7v)?

@loafer,

If you have a maplins near you have a look there, I got the 550w version on offer, for the same price as a 450w

Owain

7. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks owain!...ebuyer are selling the 450 for £25 inc vat and delivery and the 550 for £30 inc vat and del. My maplins had it for 39.99.

Thought the 550 might unnecessary for me.