1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kramer Component to RGB Conevertor for Gamecube

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Matt Horne, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Hi...

I am still looking into the best way to output the great component image (so I have been told) from my Gamecube and I have come across the Kramer Component to RGB convertor (about £220).

This may seem overkill but as the Cube does not do RGB and my current TV does not have component sockets it seemed like a good idea. I will be upgrading to a Loewe Tv soon which only does component via scart which is fine for my DV88 but no good for the CUBE)

So has anyone tried one of these .. are they any good will this sort all my problems?.

Also has anyone else seen these on sale.. I only found it at lektropacks.co.uk (and only after ringing them).

Any advice would be great as it is a lot of dosh to part with.. Gordon do you know anything about these?? Do you sell them?

Cheers

Matt

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Matt: Never used one.....but can supply.

Key Digital in US do a similar thing. John Sim at www.rgbtosvideo.co.uk is possibly working on such a device and is worth contacting.

The you could feed the scart outs from dvd and gamecube to a scart switcher then on to the Loewe to get round the multiple source problem with component,

Gordon

3. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Thanks for the reply...

So can you let me know how much you get sell them for?? Is it still about the £200 mark?

I will try contacting John sim as well to see what he is up to.

Cheers

Matt.

P.s If you want to contact me via email with the details :

matt.horne@btinternet.com

4. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Matt,

If you are going to buy a TV which has a component input on a scart connector...then all you need is a cable adapter which takes the signal from the Cube (output on 3 phono connectors ?) to a scart connector which is appropriately wired. You can then use a scart switch box as Gordon suggested.

I'm not sure if the Kramer box is capable of progressive component or not. It may be interlaced only. Presumably it will do Pal or ntsc. What does the cube output ...progressive or interlaced ?

The Kramer box does look pretty good..I could have done with one of these a couple of years ago to convert the component output from my dvd player.

brian

5. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Hi....

I have looked around but cannot find a cable adapter to do this.. it would be the easiest and cheapest solution... but I will still be using my old 28" widescreen mainly for gaming.. so the Kramer box would be a good thing anyhow.

I really want to hear from someone whose has tried one out before I risk ordering one.. (my component cables should be here for the Cube this week!)

The cube outputs progessive (i believe) if you set the machine to.. but I am less worried about progressive now as none of the Tv's I am looking at seem to support it (and I am not shelling out for a plasma! :p )

cheers

Matt

6. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Matt,

I was assuming when you mentioned the Loewe tv, that you were talking about one that has a progressive input (some Loewe set's have vga inputs). If the tv has an interlaced component input on the scart socket AND if the Cube has an interlaced component output, then you only need a cable adapter to input the signal. If you find out what pins are wired for the three component inputs on the scart socket you can get someone like Lektropacks to make up a cable for you.

If you are going to use your old tv for games (via it's regular interlaced rgb scart input) then you'll need the Kramer component to rgb converter.

If the Cube has a progressive component output then you'll need a progressive component input on your tv to accept it....but (again) you should be able to do this with just a cable adapter.

Brian