1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kramer at The Ritz !

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by theritz, Apr 26, 2003.

1. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi all,

Kramer visiting the ritz tonight, and brought his HS10 for an outing.

After finding scrolling desktop issues with 98SE, a swopped hard-disk and a clean install of XP Pro and associated hcpc software had the HS10 up and running 1:1 pixel matched over DVI from Radeon 9000 from Powerdvd 4. (45mins in all to get going properly).

Impressions ?? WOW! the major impact for me was the serious benefits coming from higher resolution - three feet away from a 7.5' image pixel structure could be seen, but only by focussing on it - fill factor is sufficient even at that to reduce effect of screendoor to being negligible. At normal seating distance in my movie room (11' from 7.5' screen) no structure of any kind is visible.

Now I've posted before that screendoor is not an issue for me - and it isn't - but the absence of structure gives the image a far smoother appearance - "filmlike" is often misused here in descriptions, but this is really the biz!!

Other impressions - colour rendition very impressive (and that's without calibration - time issue), Black levels better that AE100 - better colour uniformity and geometry combined with fill factor again playing a major role, no doubt. Kramer and I agree that ultimate black levels are not in the reach of current generation of LCD PJs, limitations of technology underpin this. However, disregarding "dark grey" black bars on 2.35:1 material, the contrast range of the image was impressive (this was in Cinema Mode, but without CC40R filter) and again from the AE100 point of view, big benefits in dark scenes coming from reasonable settings (no crushed blacks) and excellent colour uniformity.

Noise ? Yes louder than AE100, but in low mode I didn't think it was such a big issue. Kramer cranked it up so that the fans went on full tilt and I can understand how it could grate somewhat, but in reality after reading posts and talking to Kramer, I thhought it would be a lot worse.

Am I jealous ? Yes and no - HS10 is absolutely stunning in picture delivery and I'd be thrilled to have it (actualy it's "overnighting" with me - must remember to be in when Kramer calls tomorrow !!) However, Kramer won't be offended by me saying that I'm happy with the AE100 - at 1:1 mapping, Hoya and reasonable calibration with Avia, it still does the business for me. We didn''t do a contemporaneous test - setting dual monitors after the other messing around didn't really appeal - and in any event this was not a contest - we both know which is the better PJ !!! I fired up the AE100 after the HS10 and the picture structure issue was the real evident difference, maybe less sophisticated colour rendition than the HS10 which also has better contrast by a considerable margin.

On a more topical note in light of current posting about the HS10,
    it fired up perfectly each time through getting up and running, but probably wasn't as bright as I expected in comparison to the AE100. It still looked gorgeous, though !

This post is not intended to be read as a technical critique - these are my thoughts after yet another amicable and interesting evening with Kramer, looking with curiousity up the "food chain" from the AE100. Incidentally, found noticeable picture improvements in AE100 after software upgrade - should have done it sooner !

Have I caught the upgrade bug ? No - (well not quite, anyway !!)

To finish, an on-the-record thanks to Kramer :smashin:

All the best,

Sean G.

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Interesting comments Sean, as you may know I did the whole ae100 to HS10 thing a while ago selling my ae100 to a friend.

This gave me a chance to see one again recently after getting used to the improvement of the HS10 and I have to say thgat the ae100 still stands up really well, especially with a slight drop from the 8ft screen size that I'm using.

Your comments re a well setup ae100 ring true and you'll notice a slight improvemnt still with your HTPC by spending some money on Theatretek.

I still think that at £800 the ae100 represents stonking value for money as an intro to the big screen wonders.:)

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    John,

I reckon that 8' is the practical upper limit of screen size for the AE100 - 7' looks a lot better, larger sizes suffering from obvious image structure at larger sizes. The HS10 can go bigger easily, retaining a smooth image without any difficulty.

I agree that at current pricing the AE100 represents brilliant value, reliability issues well discussed here notwithstanding - the AE100 is not alone in having issues, as recent posting on the forum here have demonstrated. I agree also that I didn't think the AE100 was disgraced in comparison with the HS10, which is clearly a better projector. This is confirmation of our view that the AE100 was a breakthrough product in term of picture delivery at the projector entry level point.

Theatertek is on my hcpc upgrade path, but I'd like to quieten it first - power supply mod and quieter dvd drive on the agenda. ( A LMP type case would also be nice:smashin: , have to drop hints near birthday, I think !!)

All the best

Sean G.

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yeah, my screen is an 8ft which I wanted so that it would help keep the light out of the room when it came down in front of the 8ft patio doors, the screen came first and the ae100 was always meant to be a stop gap that hopefully didn't cost too much untill I could afford a higher resolution projector. I never realised the ae100 could look so good untill I saw it on my mates 6ft screen and that was being fed interlaced svideo Sky :eek:

Thats what I like about the HTPC is that it satisfies my upgrade desires with small "ish" reasonably frequent purchases that give you bits to look forward to arriving and to try out and tweak.:)

Regards

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    John,

:eek: :eek: I have to say that running Sky (in my case off cable) through Rave card and Dscaler delivers a very acceptable picture - I find the scanlines in interlaced material unacceptable now. I agree that reducing screen size to 6' does improve picture quality considerably, but once one is used to the "cinematic" effect of a bigger image (7.5' wide screen in 8' wide room similar size to garage conversion), 6' seems like the sixe of a plasma, particularly on 2.35:1 material.

Absolutely agree, it's brilliant fun and there's always something new to try out. I'd love to get a better understanding of Dscaler, and talk of ffdshow etc. over on Avsforum has my curiousity spiked big-time.

All the best,

Sean G.

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Too tired (& inebriated :zonked: ) to "disect" theritz's impressions now, but:

:clap:

:smoke:

:smashin:

:p

:eek:

'Nuff said (for now) :laugh:

More to follow, but be aware that IMO, the HS10 was at approx 80% "perfection" when the ritz "formed" these opinions. With CC40R, my screen (higher gain) & thorough calibration (again, time restraints), he'd have seen a far better picture.

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It didn't like all them quotes & smilies :( . Here's what wouldn't fit:

"The prosecution rests" ;)

BTW, Sean:

Thanks for being the always gracious & entirely hospitable host (in the face of great adversity - HS10 v AE100 :D ).

Thanking you & see you soon ;)

8. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hey Kramer,

You're always welcome.

"prosecution" - isn't that the oldest profession ? Ooops, was thinking of someting else.......:laugh:

80% ? Probably, and clearly substantially different league too. It's amazing the difference in market shift over a period of less than a year, with the HS10 now available not far off the RRP of the AE100 at the time of its introduction.

Ah well, onwards and upwards !

Regards,

Sean G.

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Sean

So have you ordered the HS10 yet????????

10. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tim,

Do you think I'm completely mad ???:eek:

Wherever upgrade path leads me, it probably won't be the HS10 - while I stand by the comments in earlier posting, I don't consider that the difference in picture quality is justified by the cost of upgrading - many wouldn't agree, but I've had the opportunity to watch both back-to-back with identical source in my own viewing environment and that's my conclusion.

At the moment I'm inclined to wait for the next generation pJs to hit the market, or maybe keep the AE100 and get a CRT as well :eek: :eek: , (proper black levels, tweaking to beat the band....):devil:

All the best,

Sean G.

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go on Sean - you know you want one :D

Go on, go on, go on,.............

:hiya:

12. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Kramer,

A Sony ??

If it's got the letter "G70" after the name, I'd consider it....... otherwise............no chance !!!!!:devil:

See ya,

Sean G.

13. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dam!..

Sponds like I missed a good night there lads, some bad weather meant my trip was loing to lose 4 days in port, so had to abandon the journey until a later date. Will have to take a trip down to Limerick I guess to see the sony in all its glory.

Laters

V.

14. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Vex,

Not to worry, while Kramer's HS10 was a moving experience,(even listening to him talking about is enough!) I doubt that it compares to Force 7s off Cowes......:devil:

Did you puke ????? :eek:

See ya,

Sean G.

15. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sean

Going way off topic now I know, but in answer to your question...

I could have and did puke for Ireland! according to the Skipper I cored a perfect 10. :)~

V.

16. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Vex,

Off topic, yes, but worth it !!

Oh good man yourself !!! After that the Bay of Biscay will seem like a mill pond (when you get there !!).

See ya later,

Sean G.