Kramer and other members promoting water cooling- you have alot to answer

Comer

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I decided this weekend to try and quieten my PC by following some other members lead and going down the water cooling road. The fans on my PC were really starting to drive me mad:mad:

The first thing that I did was to remove all the fans. The one on the processor and graphics card were no problem but the one in the power unit was a bugger to get out.

The most difficult part was sealing all the ventilitation openings in the PC case with silicon. I also put silicon all around the joints on the PC case. The smell of silicon was dreadful but when my wife complained I told her to be patent as it will be worth it when we have a completely silent PC.

Because I had completely sealed the PC case the only opening near top was the DVD drive. So I opened that and put the small hose I had purchased specially for the job into the DVD drive as far as it would go. With what I can only describe as great excitement and anticipation, I turned on the water. It really is amazing just how long it took before the case was complete full, and boy was it heavy. That didn't really bother me as I didn't intend to be moving the PC anyway.

The big moment had arrived so I called in my wife and mother in law (who was visiting) and I announced "prepare to hear nothing!" and flicked the switch on the socket on the wall.

Before I could even press the power button on front of the PC, with a loud bang, the whole place was plunged into darkness

I knew that it was only the tripswitch so I told my onlookers not to panic and I ran out to the hall to turn the trip switch back on. But can u believe it, it wouldn't stay on. After five attempts I decided to try unplugging the PC and would you believe...yes the trip switch stayed on. My conclusion: the PC must have in some way been causing the problem.

After about an hour of tries I finally decided to abandon the whole idea of water cooling and emptied the water out of the PC, put back in the fans (except the fan in the power unit, I had broken that one getting it out) and tried the pc AGAIN. IT STILL CAUSED THE TRIP SWTICH TO BLOW!

My PC is completely shagged thanks to stupid suggestions that I got on this forum. What the hell am I going to do now. I spent two hours last night with a hair drier inside the PC case and it still trips the switch.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Conor:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Flimber
This is a joke, yeah ?

Mike.

Well I'm not laughing and neither would you if the PC that u spent almost a full year putting together was wrecked:mad:

Conor

If this isn't a joke then I think someone has seriously got their wires crossed on how to water-cool a PC.

Coner
Where you went wrong was this : with this method you need to have a return pipe to ensure a steady flow of nice cool water, as you have found just filling the pc case just isn't enough and will result in rapid overheating!!

Although your method works fine with a pj though, esp those noisy lcd ones...in fact having a fish tank full of water suspended from the roof with the pj dropped inside makes for quite an intersting talking point , helps to get anamorphic display from a 4:3 panel without paying £700 for a panamorph lens- see avsforums as they did have a few threads on this before they were deleted, too much competiton for the panamorph manufacturers I think, just think what they would do if this info got out!

Just think, the tank would suppress the noise and you could even put in a few luckly fish in the tank as long as they are trained not to get in the way of the light beam when the pj is playing there shouldn't be any problem.

I did have one of those mini octopus in mine but it kept doing unspeakable things with the lens and offending our guests - so it had to go :(

John

Wrong type of water methinks....

... a year to put together your PC, must be good. Does it have more than 128 megs of RAM?

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

STFN

Originally posted by jonny m
Coner
Where you went wrong was this : with this method you need to have a return pipe to ensure a steady flow of nice cool water, as you have found just filling the pc case just isn't enough and will result in rapid overheating!!

Although your method works fine with a pj though, esp those noisy lcd ones...if fact having a fish tank suspended from the roof with the pj dropped inside makes for an intersting talking point , helps to get anamorphic display from a 4:3 panel as well without paying £700 for the anamorphic lens- see avsforums as they did have a few threads on this before they were deleted, too much competiton for the panamorph manufacturers I think, just think what they would do if this info got out!

John

I don't remember anyone posting about a return pipe and if you don't mind me saying John it's a little bit late telling me about it now:mad:

Conor

Originally posted by bh
Wrong type of water methinks....

a year to put together your PC, must be good. Does is have more than 128 megs of RAM?

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

STFN

I used ordinary tap water, are u saying I should have used distilled water, but again it's a little late giving me all these useful suggestions now

It had 384mb or RDRAM with an asus motherboard 400mhz FSB and P4 1.4 processor

Conor

Arrrggghhhh, stop it. I'm about to wet myself. :D
Is it April 1st already?

Originally posted by bh
RDRam isn't waterproof. You'd have to rebuild using SDRam. See the following website:

www.water_proof_ram.com

:eek:

I get the feeling that some of you are mking fun of me. Ok it probably wasn't the brightest thing to try but I did it because of suggestions I read in this forum and as such I lay the blame for this disaster at the feet of the people who talked about water cooling but did not bother to explain it fully. You people have a big responsibility and you can't just drop suggestions filppantly for others to pick up and (as in my case) ruin their gear.

As for anybody who thinks that this is funny, I spent what is to me alot of money on my PC and if you can't think of something to say without sneering at my misfotune well then I would rather not hear from you at all

Conor:(

When I installed an H20 rig in my PC early this year I was going to use a relay to turn on the pump automatically at bootup, but I held back since a few parts were brand new and under warranty and I didn't want to mess with them. Besides, I never forgot to turn the pump on :D - the one time I have forgotten, I soon realised and it was a non-event.

Got up yesterday, hung over after a pretty heavy night and needed to get some network config done for our house. I switched the PC on and left the room to make some brekkie. Got back and it had locked. Weird I thought, so I restarted it again and this time it hung on the bootup screen. Before I had even begun to think about what was up in my semi-drunken state, I heard a loud "BANG!" and a puff of what I thought was smoke got blown out the back of the PC. Anyway... it wasn't smoke, it was steam. Turns out that the water must have reached boiling point (or fairly close too) and one of the pipes on the CPU block exploded!!!

oops1.jpg

So the whole inside of the PC was sprayed with water and naturally, I crapped myself ('scuse me...). Anyway, I sealed the pipes...

oops2.jpg

...removed all the WC gear, disassembled the PC and left everything to dry overnight. This morning when I started it it wouldn't boot, so I assumed the CPU was dead (as you would after the water boiling 'n' all...) and unable to test it here at uni I ordered a replacement. This afternoon it actually showed some signs of life, booting intermittently. I disassembled it again and noticed that many parts were heavily corroded, obviously the result of electrochemical action. After clearing off all the deposition and flushing everything through with isopropyl alcohol the PC now works fine. Amazing. :eek:

So... a lucky escape. The moral of the story is that drink and PCs don't mix, unless you are in the habit of ordering expensive peripherals when ****ed in which case the combination can be most rewarding. :D

MuFu.

P.S. Some good has come out of it - because I have no replacement 3/8ths pipe here at uni I had to re-arrange the WC stuff and now the layout inside is miles cleaner than it was before, with the radiator fan totally unobstructed. I might also get around to making that relay, finally...

Originally posted by Comer
I did it because of suggestions I read in this forum and as such I lay the blame for this disaster at the feet of the people who talked about water cooling
I'm still not sure if this is a wind up or not but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

If I told you to **** in the fuel tank of your car to make it faster would you go and do it without checking into it first?
No, didn't think so. Maybe a little research into water-cooling may have saved you a little time and a lot of money. Did the members of this board tell you how to water-cool? Or just suggest it was a good idea?

I do however have sympathy for you as to the cost of replacing your machine, and have to replace it all you will (wow, I sound like yoda).

I'm not giving the benefit of the doubt, gotta be a wind-up.

Mike.

You people have a big responsibility and you can't just drop suggestions filppantly for others to pick up and (as in my case) ruin their gear.

No, you have responsibility for your own actions. If you want to take, interpret or misinterpret (the latter applies here) the comments of others and extend beyond one's knowledge set then it is a simply a case of living and learning.:kisses:

As for flippant comments, where people have talked about water cooling PCs, they haven't done so flippantly, they've remarked upon it as thought they are familiar with it. They are calling a spade a spade because they know about spades. :rolleyes:

I'm with Flimber and I'm printing to Acrobat Distiller for the purposes of posterity :D :D :D

Hmmmmmmmmm......... if it's not a wind up, I find it hard to believe you'd put water into your pc case. :confused:

Mate

I mean come on even a 11 yr old knows that water and electronics dont mix. Didnt ya notice how the inside of ur case was full of bare wire.

The only shame is that you weren`t touching the case when it happened. 240 volts of electricity might have shocked some sense into ya :p

Originally posted by bh
No, you have responsibility for your own actions. If you want to take, interpret or misinterpret (the latter applies here) the comments of others and extend beyond one's knowledge set then it is a simply a case of living and learning.:kisses:

As for flippant comments, where people have talked about water cooling PCs, they haven't done so flippantly, they've remarked upon it as thought they are familiar with it. They are calling a spade a spade because they know about spades. :rolleyes:

I'm with Flimber and I'm printing to Acrobat Distiller for the purposes of posterity :D :D :D

I'm sorry. I probably came along too strong there and indeed you are right it is my own responsibility to check these things out before I try them. But as u can imagine I am a little upset and again if anything I said offends I am sorry

I've been working with computers for about seven years and I have built quite a few for friends and myself but with this PC I put alot of work into it and I was very happy with it and now it seems to be ruined :(

I just don't understand why it didn't work, I mean what another member, John, said about not having a return pipe to take away the hot water and that caused my PC to overheat actually makes sense but this happened so fast I doubt that the water in the PC could have gotton that hot so quickly to cause overheating.

I don't know what to do now

Now you really are extracting the urine.

I'm sorry. I probably came along too strong there and indeed you are right it is my own responsibility to check these things out before I try them. But as u can imagine I am a little upset and again if anything I said offends I am sorry

I've been working with computers for about seven years and I have built quite a few for friends and myself but with this PC I put alot of work into it and I was very happy with it and now it seems to be ruined :(

I just don't understand why it didn't work, I mean what another member, John, said about not having a return pipe to take away the hot water and that caused my PC to overheat actually makes sense but this happened so fast I doubt that the water in the PC could have gotton that hot so quickly to cause overheating.

I don't know what to do now

If I cause offence I'm really sorry, but I've just managed to pick myself up off the floor after 15 minutes of hysterical laughter, please tell me this is a wind up.

If not please disregard this
Although your method works fine with a pj though, esp those noisy lcd ones...in fact having a fish tank full of water suspended from the roof with the pj dropped inside makes for quite an intersting talking point , helps to get anamorphic display from a 4:3 panel without paying £700 for a panamorph lens- see avsforums as they did have a few threads on this before they were deleted, too much competiton for the panamorph manufacturers I think, just think what they would do if this info got out!

This lead to tearing of the picture caused by the ripples in the water!!

Steve:clown:

Mate I dont believe for one second that someone with even the faintest knowledge of pooters would fill it with water willingly.

I do think this is a wind up and you`re holding up pretty well if its not then I really do think you should think about aquiring a jacket with long sleeves that tie around the back and then get your self a nice white padded room with no sharp corners.

If ya want to know about water cooling go to

www.dangerden.com

that`ll show ya how to do it properly or try out http://217.172.178.216/

Its in german but they are class for the ole h20 cooling

Originally posted by kopite
Mate I dont believe for one second that someone with even the faintest knowledge of pooters would fill it with water willingly.

I do think this is a wind up and you`re holding up pretty well if its not then I really do think you should think about aquiring a jacket with long sleeves that tie around the back and then get your self a nice white padded room with no sharp corners.

If ya want to know about water cooling go to

www.dangerden.com

that`ll show ya how to do it properly or try out http://217.172.178.216/

Its in german but they are class for the ole h20 cooling

thanks kopite

I really wish that this was a windup. I really don't think that I'll be looking into water cooling ever again...even if I did have a PC to try it with

Conor

Comer,

Just seen your sig, you should have used a desktop case and not that full size tower :clown:

Steve

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom