1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KP44PX3 Problems

Discussion in 'TVs' started by blasthand, Jul 9, 2004.

1. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi All,

Has anyone with this set had any issues? I'm just trying to find other people out there with one of these. Been discussing with ayreshiredude what I think is a bad fault, and what can only be described as a "streaking problem" - see the "Service Mode on Sony KP44PX3" thread.

Woud be great to hear from anyone else with this set and any thoughts they may have.

Cheers,
    Blasthand.

2. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Blasthand I am having mine exchanged today for a new one as the Service Engineer thought it was a fault. I am beginning to wonder though. I really don't expect this one to be any different. Did you try the smear fix? I had a look at the instructions but the options it was telling you to go to weren't in the service mode on this set.

Anyway will let you know how the new set is.

3. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Ayrshiredude,

Sorry about the delay - I've been unwell.

Real sorry to hear about all the hassles you've had. I hope you manage to get sorted in the near future.

I had an engineer out on Tuesday and he agreed with the following 3 faults on our set:

1) The streaking from any bright objects
    2) Wobbly text - more prevelant on something like the scroll bar on sky sports news, etc.
    3) The top corners of the screen aren't filled by the picture. There is a slight space where the corners are filled by green or red.

I should have an answer back from the company that provided the set sometime today (either that or I'll give them a ring).

I really would like to keep this model because of the image quality (stunning), but the streaking fault can be horrendous, so I'll let you know what happens.

Regarding the smear fix. Yes, I did try, but like you found that the options are different once you get into the service menu.

I think one of the biggest probs with this set is that it's so new there isn't much feedback out there at the moment.

Blasthand.

4. dwoodys

dwoodys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my PX3 for 4 weeks now and my set doesn't suffer any of the problems that you describe, so I guess you have just got a bad one.
    This is my second set as the first had a major alignment problem, PRC exchanged it within a week.
    Its a stunning TV for the money.
    Hope you manage to get your problems fixed.

5. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Dwoodys,

Nice to hear from someone else with one of these (the more the merrier)...your post restores my faith somewhat! :thumbsup:

Hopefully I should find out early next week regarding getting it replaced, but the engineer said that's almost certainly what will happen as I've had it less than 2 weeks.

As you said - for the money the picture quality is stunning. Here's hoping that I can get a fault-free replacement :)

6. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well,

I took delivery of my replacement 44PX3 yesterday, and surprise surprise, it has the same streaking problem as the first set from any bright object. :thumbsdow

Seems indeed that this must be some sort of design/manufacture problem - anyone else wanna make a shout on this?

I'm waiting on a call back to clarify an engineer appointment to confirm the fault, and despite the excellent picture overall I've decided to opt for a different model once things have been clarified by the engineer.

I was considering the Toshiba 42WH36 - anyone have any experience of one these? Good/bad points etc...

Cheers,
    Blasthand.