Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Koss KSC-35 or equivalent

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by jirob, Dec 3, 2004.

1. jirob

jirob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First time I've dipped my toe in this part of Avforums, so be gentle.

I'm looking for some portable headphones (not earbud or headband), with either earclips or a neckband, costing less than £60. They'll be used with an iRiver mp3 player and an iRiver mp3 CD player, and should preferably not suffer from excessive leakage. Currently use Sony MDR-G52s which are adequate but not particularly impressive.

Having browsed the forums, and Headfi's forum, it seems to come down to the Koss KSC-35s (had previously thought about Sennheiser PMX60, but was put off by reports of high sound leakage). But it seems impossible to get hold of these 'phones in the UK - I need them before Christmas, so I'm not sure I can rely on transatlantic post.

Can anyone recommend an alternative, or a way of getting some KSC-35s in the UK please?

2. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    The only way to do it is through www.koss.com

I would guess they should still come before xmas but dont hold me to that. Perhaps you could contact them and ask? Anyway, I'd say they were worth the wait since they appear to be THE low cost portable phone to have.

3. jirob

jirob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, I was heading down that route. I've now ordered some, so we'll see what happens.

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    FYI the Sennheiser PX100 sounds about the same.

5. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    U can get the KSC-35s on eBay in the UK. I have some and they're an excellent match with my iRiver H140, although they're not great at isolating out noise. U have to crank the volume to full if you're on a busy street.

6. jirob

jirob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a note to advise against ordering from www.koss.com They seem to be utterly incompetent. After almost a week, money still hadn't been taken from my card. Eventually they contacted me to say my bank had refused to give them some information they needed, and that I should fax them a copy of my credit card statement. What sort of Mickey Mouse operation is this? I buy things regularly from all over the world using the same card, and I've never had a single problem anywhere else. I replied immediately, saying that I couldn't fax them my credit card statement, because my bank doesn't issue them.

After another 6 days, and my attempts to explain that internet banks don't issue credit card statements, I gave up. Someone else at Koss sent me the same email, saying that they needed a fax of my non-existent credit statement. I explained again, and asked if they could recommend a re-seller who might have the capacity to accept credit cards. I've heard nothing for a week, now.

In the midst of all this, I tried to get a relative to order, using their ultra-conservative, accepted-everywhere-in-the-world credit card. But after more than a week they still haven't had the money taken from their card, and they've heard absolutely nothing from Koss..

So, in summary - Koss: a pain in the arse. Avoid.
    :mad: