1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Konica Revio KD400Z Digital Camera 4 MP @ £117.49

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by Sigismund, May 26, 2004.

1. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
  2. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Seems a pretty decent P&S camera

3. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    I love this forum - I've been looking for a compact digital camera at a good price and this is better value than anything kelkoo etc could come up with.

Many thanks. :smashin:

4. Benedict

Benedict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
  5. Chris23

Chris23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    As is usual with Dixons links it does not work on my computer.

Casio looks interesting. Any thoughts on "refurbished"? I note that they are out of stock.

6. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Shouldn't be worried about it being a refurb, however I looked at these about a month ago and they were out of stock then so it'll need a keen eye to spot when they get more stock in as they're bound to sell out quickly.

7. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I bought one of these for my wife when they were "in stock" and it's pretty good for a point and shoot, although it definitely suffers from an awful lot of noise when viewing images on a monitor.

It came with a battery charger and lead, owner's manual (basic printed version and multi-lingual CD version) and a Kodak EasyShare CD. No wrist strap, though.

I've read elsewhere that the Casios will be back in stock... soon :)

8. Chris23

Chris23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sorry but do you mean "noise" in the sense of a disturbed picture or in the sense of an audio experience?
    Please confirm that all is OK if you download images to computer before viewing whichever type of noise it is.

9. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi Chris23. By noise I mean video noise, which gives images a mottled appearance so that a flat blue sky looks "grainy". Some digital cameras suffer video noise worse than others... the Casio is pretty bad. BUT, generally it's only really noticeable when viewing images on your monitor and 6x4 or 7x5 prints should hardly be affected... I believe ;)

Have a read of any of the reviews here

Images certainly appear much noisier than my other digi cams, but I haven't had a chance to print anything out using the Casio yet so cannot say for sure how printed photos will look... but watch this space :)

Also, the higher the ISO setting the worse the noise. You can lock the Casio to 80 ISO which helps, but it's not exactly the ideal solution.

10. Benedict

Benedict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Still a good deal for £99, despite the noise.

Sigismund, I Don't know why you didn't get a wrist strap though. I got one with mine.

If you want to order one, don't worry about them being out of stock. Dixons don't debit your card until the goods are shipped (I waited a month for mine). The worst that can happen is you get an email from Dixons telling you that they wont be getting any new stock.

11. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Agreed :D

Nor me... but I've decided to order another one to see if that will have a strap ;)

Only thing is I can't order one until they're back in stock! I suspect you may have ordered when they had stock, then they ran out and sent you one when they got more back in.

12. Chris23

Chris23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sigismund,
    Now you have intrigued me! Is the "noise" a function of the size that the screen is relative to a 6x4. Most of my viewing will be on screen with few/none being printed. My computer monitor is 19" & my telly 32".
    Why do I have a feeling that the amount of compression, as opposed to pixel count, you have set will have a lot to do with this?
    I really haven't seen this phenonenon referred to in magazine reviews so am keen to fully understand it. Thanks for the help so far.

13. Benedict

Benedict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Almost correct. When I ordered mine the site was showing an estimated despatch date (so they weren't actually in stock, but were expected in the following day as it happens). This date subsequently moved four times, until it was eventually replaced with the out of stock message. I had to wait just over a month in the end.

Casio sell the soft cases for this camera for £20 + £2.50 p&p. Log on to http://www.casioextra.co.uk and type in the camera model number into the search box. The site seems to be down at the moment BTW.

Chris, I'm obviously not as critical as Sigismund as I haven't noticed the noise he describes, but I haven't really looked for it either. (I really just bought the camera to point and shoot and take on holiday etc.) I'll see if I can post one of the pictures I've taken when I get home tonight so you can see what sort of images the camera is capable of and you can make up your own mind.

14. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    My camera arrived in double quick time - only two days - but unfortunately has two dead pixels. :rolleyes:

I have contacted Morgan Computers and await their reply about a replacement.

I'll let you know how this progresses.

Anyone dealt with them before?

15. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Looks like collection of knackered camera on Tuesday and despatch straight after collection is confirmed.

16. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hey Coop.

That's a pain re: the dodgy pixels.

I've bought a few digi cams from Morgan in the past and they've been quite reasonable with returns etc. Hope everything works out for the best :)

Asides from the pixels problem - how did you find the camera? I'm thinking about returning the Casio I bought my wife and going for one of these... I'm not 100% sure that the QVR40 is faulty, but the lens housing seems ever so slightly out of true.

Chris23 - I suspect you may not have read those reviews I linked to ;) Also, you mention your T.V. for viewing photos? I don't think the Casio has a/v out facility, so that may not be the best camera for you. I know for a fact that my HP Photosmart 945 and Canon Powershot A60 have that facility, but the only connection other than USB on the casio is for DC in, I think. I've read (somewhere in those reviews :D ) that the Jpeg compression that's used in the "Fine" quality mode is very high, so that's probably why it suffers from an excess of noise when viewing "on screen".

Now, should I sell my HP 945 and gor for a brand new Fuji S602 Pro + 1 GB IBM Microdrive for circa £308.00?

Decisions, decisions :devil:

17. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Other than the dodgy pixels the camera is great for the price. Canlt grumble there. Simple to use and the picture quality, barring the dead pixels, was excellent. I have an older 3.1 mp Sony Cyber-Shot which produces excellent results, but the Konica, IMO performs better, despite its compact (fag packet) size.

The fact that it takes SD and Memory Stick is excellent, as I can now have loads of storage (both usable at the same time - you can set priority for whichever one you prefer) without having to buy loads of new memory cards.

Cool blue LED flash and starup sound - very fast startup too, fully available in about 1.5 seconds!

Batteries are cheap too, you can get one for about £14 on eBay.

When I get the new one delivered I will have a bit more of a go. I'll post a couple of photos at various res so you can have a look.

Worth ordering I'd say. Hopefully you'll get a good result first time :suicide:

18. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    2nd camera arrived with dead pixels - contacted for refund and collection.

Looks like they may have a load of previous returns from others to offload IMO.

AVOID :mad: