• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Kong: Skull Island Ultra HD Blu-ray Review & Comments

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
Great review, we watched the 3D version last night, and must say it looked great. Looking forward to watching the 2D Atmos version later.

Dixie4

Prominent Member
I'd say an accurate review. The film is what it is. I've watched it at least five times now & each time i'm impressed with the excellent PQ & SQ.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
It certainly doesn't try to be anything but a popcorn flick but looks danm good whilst doing it . It's gone top of the list on demo Atmos mix that's for sure , it's insanely good at times. I actually enjoyed it more on the UHD than at the ( 3D IMAX ish ) cinema , much better home cinema presentation.

raymondo77

Distinguished Member
I was pleasantly surprised at how much I didn't hate this, it was good fun and entertaining throughout, if a little predictable. The UHD Blu-ray was stellar too. 7.5-8/10 from me.

Kotatsu Neko

Distinguished Member
I wish the 4K DI was more common on uhd blu rays.

Crazy isn't it how Hollywood is so cheap they can't even pay the extra for a proper 4K DI. Netflix and Amazon meanwhile, are putting out real 4K content out at a furious rate.

I've seen a few fake 4K releases on UHD BD so far and I just can't see the point of them. They look exactly the same as blu-rays, except for the usually over the top HDR stuff.

Smudger1

Established Member
Crazy isn't it how Hollywood is so cheap they can't even pay the extra for a proper 4K DI. Netflix and Amazon meanwhile, are putting out real 4K content out at a furious rate.

I've seen a few fake 4K releases on UHD BD so far and I just can't see the point of them. They look exactly the same as blu-rays, except for the usually over the top HDR stuff.

I find the DI makes little or no difference to my enjoyment of a UHD Blu-ray. As more films start to have their SF rendered in 4k, so 4k DIs will become more readily available. But until that time, meh.

rossini

Prominent Member
Wow! 7/10 is seriously over rating this awful film. Granted it may look and sound superb but a dire entry in the Kong legacy.

tintin jones

Prominent Member
I think 7 out of 10 is about right for this. Enjoyed it

Kotatsu Neko

Distinguished Member
I find the DI makes little or no difference to my enjoyment of a UHD Blu-ray. As more films start to have their SF rendered in 4k, so 4k DIs will become more readily available. But until that time, meh.

What size screen do you have?

I'm on a 65", and to my eyes Netflix 4K (non HDR) looks considerably better than 4K upscales on UHD BD. The upscales have none of that super fine 4K detail. They just look like 1080p blu-rays with the contrast turned up, which I guess is basically what they are. Not to say they look bad, they just aren't UHD.

Nayfne

Distinguished Member

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
Is that on the bluray?or 4k, I saw the 3d bluray came with dts HD ma only :-(
Yes 2d blu and 4k, i picked up the 3D yesterday and watched it, looked great but it is only dts-HD, just as well it comes with the 2D Atmos version, I was also unhappy that the 3D was missing the Atmos track

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Wow! 7/10 is seriously over rating this awful film. Granted it may look and sound superb but a dire entry in the Kong legacy.

Hmmmm
downloadfile-4.jpg

Legacy :laugh::laugh::laugh:.

Chamberlain

Prominent Member
I was pleasantly surprised at how much I didn't hate this, it was good fun and entertaining throughout, if a little predictable. The UHD Blu-ray was stellar too. 7.5-8/10 from me.

Considering we have the same TV, is this one of those movies we have to turn down the brightness or is 50 fine?

Winnie1221

Established Member
I'll be buying this asap!

Quite enjoyed the movie at the cinema and looking forward to the Home Cinema version with 4k HDR and Dolby Atmos sound track.

bootyman81

Distinguished Member
@Simon Crust nice review, I have the disc myself, will be watching at the weekend.
I see you have the same TV as me, can I ask what mode you watch it in and if your set is calibrated? Also how do you find 'blooming' in HDR mode on dark scenes ?
Myself, I watch BDs & UHDs in Professional 2
With a bump in backlight (25 for BD)
it's uncalibrated.

Simon F

Distinguished Member
What size screen do you have?

I'm on a 65", and to my eyes Netflix 4K (non HDR) looks considerably better than 4K upscales on UHD BD. The upscales have none of that super fine 4K detail. They just look like 1080p blu-rays with the contrast turned up, which I guess is basically what they are. Not to say they look bad, they just aren't UHD.
Sounds like you might need to tweak your TV settings if it looks like Blu Rays with high contrast.

4K streaming (Amazon, Netflix, SkyQ) is generally considered by most to be a similar standard to 1080p Blu Ray, it's quite a way off from the detail a 4K UHD can produce. You won't get the (lovely) grain but you forfeit so much detail.

mbmapit

Prominent Member

Seriously? Netflix and Amazon putting out real 4K? Content with an average bitrate of between 10-15 Mbps doesn't look better than content with an average bitrate of 85-95 Mbps. Even Blu-ray discs have a higher bitrate than streamed 4K content from Amazon/Netflix. Don't even get me started on the compression of the audio as it's laughable (including Atmos from Netflix).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom