• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Kona's. Kona's Everywhere

PRESSTOG

Well you never see a Kona on the road then a dozen turn up just like buses

Autoexpress Magazine have had a Kona on long term test since it launched in Sept last year

So to celebrate the end of its test and being handed back to Hyundai they invited Kona owners to a nice pub for a lunch and a drink and to give their car a send off with some real owner reviews of the car they can use.

Was good to meet other owners and also a motoring journo who really is EV enthusiastic

We didn't get a red one there or a base grey but the other colours were represented

IMG_20190325_200740.jpg
IMG_20190325_200817.jpg

Seems its about time for Hyundai to get rid of its press Fleet of Konas will be u teresting to see what prices they fetch if they go to auction. Or with the high demand if they creep I to the dealer network

Luckily they are easy to spot as only the press fleet are in 18 plates all customer cads started on 68s as they had an event planned for Aug31 they could not wait a day to register them as 68s

PRESSTOG

Then to add insult to injury after a nice relaxed lunch toddled back into London to work Went to chuck car on its favorite charger only to find another Kona already on it. What's the odds

IMG_20190325_174239.jpg

D

deleted member

Just wish you could actually buy one. Order books closed until next year.

PRESSTOG

Just wish you could actually buy one. Order books closed until next year.

I know the secondband ones are selling for a £5kto £8k premium over a new one

Will be Interesting to see if the press fleet of 10 goes to auction or is sent to dealers to sell second hand

D

deleted member

I have an order down for a Niro but I think I'd swap now. I can live with less space in the Kona and the interior of the UK Niro is just so incredibly dull and uninteresting, it really looks cheap and like little effort has been put into it.

PRESSTOG

I have an order down for a Niro but I think I'd swap now. I can live with less space in the Kona and the interior of the UK Niro is just so incredibly dull and uninteresting, it really looks cheap and like little effort has been put into it.

I really cant understand what they are doing

Hyundai shipped almost 100% top spec Konas and the lot were snapped up instantly, surely Kia saw this, so what was going through their corporate minds when they thought I know lets send the UK a trimmed down spec .. I really just does not make sense.

Honestly if you can live with the smaller interior the Kona is much nicer inside, the Cooled seats have been a godsend already and the LED headlights are superb, the HUD is great and not just a gimmick.

BUT if you need rear room it really is not a practical car.. Great for a couple just not a family car and certainly not the ESTATE the Hyundai describe it as..

D

deleted member

Some muppet from Kia apparently decided that the nice interior wasn't suitable for an "everyday car" and they wanted the Niro to be as boring as possible.

Most frustrating thing is that the PHEV already has a better interior.

I guess they are trying to get people to switch from ICE, but as you say demand already far exceeds supply.

Raharney

Standard Member
Hello everyone,

I was thinking of driving an EV from Germany to Canterbury this July (ignoring any Brexit anxiety) and then doing a couple of day trips into London with the family.
Could Presstog share any tips or even tricks with respect to driving and parking an EV in London?

Thanking you in advance,
Raharney

PRESSTOG

Hello everyone,

I was thinking of driving an EV from Germany to Canterbury this July (ignoring any Brexit anxiety) and then doing a couple of day trips into London with the family.
Could Presstog share any tips or even tricks with respect to driving and parking an EV in London?

Thanking you in advance,
Raharney

If you park in westminster you can park in any Pay and DIsplay bay, you need to pay 81p (=10mins parking charge) and you can leave the car there for upto 4 hours

You have do do this via an app called Ringo or pay by telephone (Details are in all the bays)

If you are lucky enough to find a vacant 7kw street charger you can park there without paying parking for 4 hours as long as you are charging, The Polar Instant App is the one needed as the Source London ones need a subscription

Being honest London is not very Overseas EV friendly if it was me I would probably park at the Westfield Shopping Centre to the West (White City) or East (Stratford) plug the car in one one of the many chargers there and pay the £5 a day to park, then tube or bus around the centre of London

FOr any journey over here make sure you have the apps on your phone, Ecotricity for the motorways, Polar Instant and PodPoind are useful to have as well

Raharney

Standard Member
Presstog and ********,

Thanks very much for the answers, they help greatly.

It is that sort of insider knowledge I was after.

I tried to register with Ecotricity with out success. It appears that you have to have a UK address to successfully register. Additionally I was also surprised to learn that you need to be registered to charge your car at charge points which are free.

At the moment I don't have an EV. It is on order and I hope to get it within a couple of months. Two trips to the UK are being planned at the moment. I would like to travel from Cologne to Morcambe in Lancashire, a trip right across the UK and try and do it as cheaply as possible. Not because I can't afford the electricity, but rather I thought it might be fun to see how cheaply it could be done and as a show case for EV adoption with maybe an accompanying blog or Vblog.

Anyhow these plans are all still a bit hypothetical at the moment as I don't own an EV yet.

I enjoy reading this forum and all the useful tips and tricks therein.

Thanks again for sharing.

Richard

PRESSTOG

Presstog and ********,

Thanks very much for the answers, they help greatly.

It is that sort of insider knowledge I was after.

I tried to register with Ecotricity with out success. It appears that you have to have a UK address to successfully register. Additionally I was also surprised to learn that you need to be registered to charge your car at charge points which are free.

At the moment I don't have an EV. It is on order and I hope to get it within a couple of months. Two trips to the UK are being planned at the moment. I would like to travel from Cologne to Morcambe in Lancashire, a trip right across the UK and try and do it as cheaply as possible. Not because I can't afford the electricity, but rather I thought it might be fun to see how cheaply it could be done and as a show case for EV adoption with maybe an accompanying blog or Vblog.

Anyhow these plans are all still a bit hypothetical at the moment as I don't own an EV yet.

I enjoy reading this forum and all the useful tips and tricks therein.

Thanks again for sharing.

Richard

Its all very awkward when travelling overseas,

We have the same problem in France, Belgium and Holland. Hopefully things will improve as more networks start to take credit card

Ayub

Distinguished Member
i have the grey

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
I was sat at a rapid charger and 2 Konas pulled in. Company cars for a nationwide company in Ireland.

I pulled out to let them charge and had a look around them. Confirmed what I had suspected, that they're not for me. Nice outside but very cheap looking interior especially in the stripped down "Paddy-spec" we got in Ireland.

And even more cramped in the back than my i3.

Only down side was that I cancelled my pre-order. My friend sold his pre-order to a dealer for a £500 profit, and I could probably have bought and re-sold the car for a profit. Ah well. I'll be putting a deposit down for the new VW offering in the off chance that the same opportunity arises.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom