Kodi with 3.0 sound system: voices not loud enough

chrisr34000

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I have the following setup:

- Kodi (NVidia Shield as a streaming client + Windows 10 as a streaming server). "Audio passthrough" is on.

- Two JBL 220 Speakers and a JBL 225C center, which I've added recently

- Yamaha RX-V675 AVR

The problem I'm experiencing are low voices when playing movies with DTS audio, while other sounds like gun shots or footsteps are incredibly loud.

I've ran the YPAO calibration after adding the center and it made some settings, which I cannot understand:

a) All speakers were set to „large“. This is not the case: the speakers have 4' woofers.

QUESTION 1: I cannot change the setting for the two front speakers manually. The editing options are greyed out.

QUESTION 2: I can change the center size from „large“ to „small“. Should I go with „small“ or does it make no difference?

b) The speakers levels were changed by YPAO to the following:

LEFT: 0.0 db

RIGHT: +1.5 db

CENTER: -2.0 db

I’ve corrected the levels tot he following:

LEFT: -1.0 db

RIGHT: +0.5 db

CENTER: +4.5 db

As you can see, I’ve raised the center levels quite a lot and the voices are a little bit louder now.

QUESTION 3: Is it common to raise the center level so much? Do I loose sound quality by correcting the value so much (because of distortion)?

QUESTION 4: I feel that the volume of the voices is still a little bit too low. What options do I have? Adaptive DRC is already on. Should I reduce the levels for the left and right channel, while raising the master volume?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom