• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Kodi on usb

SavorettiMoretti

So I've researched that kodi can be installed on a usb, I'd like to be able to plug this into my Samsung tv or Sony ht nt3 sound bar.

Can anyone tell me if this will work?

plum23

It's not as simple as that. A usb stick has no processor - it's just storage. You can run Kodi from a USB stick (using Openelec) if you have a htpc. Or you can install Kodi onto something like an Amazon Firestick, which connects via hdmi.

SavorettiMoretti

Ah ok, I thought that might be the case...

I have an ATV 3 but obviously can't get it on that. Just wondering if I have anything else in the house that I could install it on

SavorettiMoretti

Yeh I have it on the MacBook but it's old and dying, plus I can't AirPlay to the apply tv.

I've seen you can install plex on Samsung tv not quite sure what it does but can you run kodi from that?

jerryq7777

Raspberry Pi ?

plum23

So a £20 markup for a few minutes work installing Kodi? Seems crazy to pay that?
Personally I've found the firestick to be rather underpowered to provide a good Kodi experience. Fine if you just want to watch dodgy streams, but not much good for anything beyond that.

SavorettiMoretti

Yeh I've read about and the m8s box seems pretty decent

SavorettiMoretti

danez

You can intall to Memory stick, then put it into any pc or laptop that has internet connection and run it from the memory stick, it will be using your internet connection and the computers cpu and memory to run, i have it installed on a flash drive myself.
Plenty on Youtube concerning this procedure.

SavorettiMoretti

The Openelec TV, the box it shows you on the page.

The Wetek Play which it is based in is quite well regarded on the forum.
Sorry I meant devices that I already have in the house

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom