Kodi and ways to sync watched, play progress, etc - which is best?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Stevie G, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    We use Kodi as our main media player, but one thing it's really lacking is a centralised way of it managing what you've watched, paused, etc across multiple devices, and I wanted to try to set it up a bit better so when I watch on one device it's recorded the 'watch' on others, etc.

From what I can see there are three usual methods;
    1) syncing to a MySQL database, which I tried a few years ago and found to be a ballache to set up and very sluggish in use
    2) using Trakt to log watched shows and movies
    3) Using Emby Server and the Emby addons in Kodi and let Emby keep track of whats been watched and paused, etc.

I have been using method 2, which has been fine, but it's not perfect, as it means every device only sends or picks up the info when it syncs with Trakt, so you can't really pause on one device and pick up on another.

Is anyone using method 3 successfully? Does it keep sync well? And what about when the Emby server is down? I can see that in Emby Server you can add direct paths for folders as well as the local paths so presumably that info goes over to Kodi so it can play directly? And when it comes to using Trakt (to log watched history) is it best to disable it in Emby and let Kodi do it, or vice versa?

Hope that makes sense.....!

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,098
    In my experience with method 3 using Emby (or Plex) they take care of everything, the Kodi TV/Movie libraries are filled with it's listings as if it were an Emby client.

Resume function works across clients same as any other client.

Never messed around with direct/local paths for folders I guess these are for offline playback, in normal usage if server goes down then your client is useless.

3. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Thanks, I think I'll test it on my laptop to see if it does what I want. I find the plex soon for Kodi pretty useless, it just replicates plex in Kodi and may as well just actually use plex.

The shield can play anything I throw at it without transcoding so I don't want it reliant on Emby needing to be running as it can occasionally play silly buggers so the direct path option sounds useful

4. ChrisN

ChrisN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Plex server with Kodi running the PlexKodiConnect add-on.
    Works brilliantly.

5. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,098
    MrMC an app store fork of Kodi is also available on the Shield it has it's own custom UI and Plex integration which integrates the listings directly, there are no addons with MrMC. It also always direct plays content and doesn't invoke transcoding.

Alternatively the unofficial Plex addon should do the trick assuming it is still maintained for Kodi.

6. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Ah, didn't know about that, I've only tried the plex add on, I'll test that on the laptop too. I have plex lifetime pass so being able to do it with plex would be better.

MrMc - that doesn't allows add-ons does it? I user Kodi with a vbox gateway PVR and also use bbc iPlayer and Trakt

7. ChrisN

ChrisN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    PKC is much better than the official Plex add-on.
    Takes your Plex library and integrates it directly into Kodi.

8. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Yes, looks good, I've had a look at the GitHub page and it looks like you can do direct paths as well, hopefully have a look properly tomorrow

9. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,249
    I have been using option 1 for several years now with no issues.

I have a central mysql running on the same server as the content and don't notice any performance issues.

What issues did you have? There are a few things to watch on configuration but it keeps all my boxes in sync