1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kodak paper: non-standard size

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Bert Coules, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I just bought a box of Kodak Premium Picture Paper (75 sheets) described on the packet as 10 x 15cm / 4 x 6 in. Without looking at it too closely I loaded it into my new Canon i865 and settled down to produce some prints, only to have the software report "The printer is out of paper". I checked the paper feeder and sundry other bits and tried again: same result.

Then I looked closely at the paper. It isn't 4 x 6 inches at all - it's actually 4 x 6.5 inches, and my printer was having none of it. As far as the Canon is concerned, this is non-paper.

Fortunately I'm on good terms with a small local printing works, which happily (and for free) trimmed the paper down to a true 4 x 6 inches for me. But how can Kodak get away with such blatant mis-labelling?

Can anyone suggest a source of accurately sized paper, for when this trimmed batch runs out?

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit surprised to hear that Bert, every printer I have had any dealings with always required that extra bit so that the printer could hold the paper while it printed the last lines and that is the reason why nearly all paper manufacturers put the extra bit on. Did you try putting the paper in the printer 'vertically' so that it only see's the 4" width and at that time wouldn't know how long it is, again most printers I've known continue to feed paper after printing to the specified length until they sense that there is no paper under the print head so there should be no problem in ejecting the overlength paper.

I believe that Canon do do paper that is a true 6" x 4" in their GP-401 range, if you can't find it locally then www.7dayshop.com have a special offer of two for the price of one on the 6 x 4 Canon GP-401 photo paper packs.

If all else fails they also do trimmers quite cheaply (less than £20 ) so you could trim any paper to any size in an instant.

3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Thanks for the reply. The Canon i865 has a dedicated add-on feeder for 6"x4" paper which does indeed load the paper vertically, but it resolutely refused to recognise the Kodak 6.5" x 4" stock. (The few sample sheets of paper supplied with the printer were true 6"x4".)

If Canon make accurately-sized paper, that's what I'll use from now on. Thanks for that ordering link.

I'm damned if I'm going to pay for paper which claims to be one size and then trim it down to that size myself!

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

4. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Beejaycee

I just tried to order two packets of the Canon paper from 7dayshop.com, but the "Buy one, get one free" offer (though still advertised) doesn't seem to be working. I've emailed them asking what the situation is.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

5. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just tried it and it appears to be working OK (although I did abort the order at the very last page)

When you get to the website and go to the pages with the paper on you need to click on the 'order now' against the 'buy one get one free' offer (where the price is shown as £15-99 crossed out and £7-99 in red ) and leave the quantity as one - the website then carries the 'buy one get one free' notation through the checkout process to the final submission. don't try ordering two off at the normal price - that doesn't appear to work.

6. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Beejaycee,

Apologies for the delay in replying, but - once again - I've stopped receiving email notifications from the forum. (As an aside, is anyone else experiencing this?)

I emailed 7dayshop.com and they explained that the paper is actually two packs bundled together as one unit. So when you order one you actually get two. (And if you order two, what you get is four...)

A touch confusing, I thought. But at least the paper is a true 6" x 4".

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

7. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just an up-date Bert - - While following my wife around the local Tesco this morning I noticed that they are selling packs of their own brand glossy quick drying photo paper in a true 6" X 4" size

8. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119